Scheduled TVH Top 5 Must Haves! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Top 5 Must Haves! Top 5 Must Haves!

Unread 01-08-2012, 05:36 AM
Re: Top 5 Must Haves!

About eating: In the castle I was on liquids only the first two days, and since I didn't have an appetite it was fine. On day 3, they brought me a cold cheeseburger and fries for lunch... which I did NOT eat! Had DH bring me applesauce from home instead, and that evening I only ate the high-fiber stuff on the dinner plate.

Try to stick to lots of liquids and high fiber, so stocking up now can't hurt.

Also, I found that while a cold pack ON my belly feels good, cold food IN my stomach feels bad and gives me gas. I learned to take beverages out of the fridge and let them get close to room temp before I drink them. I also avoid gassy sodas, but since I love my ginger ale, I let it get warm AND flat before I drink. That helps a lot to reduce the gas and ease digestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2012, 06:09 AM

I just had my TVH and repairs four days ago, and surprisingly, I'm carrying a lot of pain around in my lower back. (Think: back labor) I have a heating pad with variable settings nearby and have slept on it every single night. Not only does it help my back to feel better, but on its lowest setting, I put it on my tummy to ease gas pains.

My tummy isn't very swollen but there is some. I am normally an XS and bought a size Small instead--and they are comfy but not too restricting. If they get in the way of my tummy, especially at night when it is most swollen, I roll down the waist band.

Another thing to consider is a pillow to tuck between your knees when you sleep. it keeps everything from rubbing together and causing pain, if ya know what I mean. I just use an old couch pillow.

Also, find something to pass the time. You will be sleeping a great deal but you will also find yourself awake at odd hours. Puzzle books (with a clip light?), books, an iPad, your computer, anything that might pass some time could help you forget about the pain and keep you distracted.

When you go to the hospital, bring baby wipes in case you don't feel like showering but you want to be clean. Lip balm, too, as you will have a perpetually dry mouth and might benefit from using it.

If you are a neat freak, clean your house before the surgery so that it might stay that way for a little while. I also wrote out two weeks of grocery lists and menus for the dh, stocked the fridge with freezer meals that are easy to heat, and made a list for him to follow--which kid needs what medicine, when they go to school, how to help them with homework, who has gym class on which day, etc. That kept me really busy so I didn't think too much about my upcoming surgery.

If I think of anything else, I will add it. Best of luck!
Unread 01-08-2012, 10:43 AM

the.super.wife- It gets better I promise... The back pain is because they have our legs over our head during surgery... (lol)... That pain will eventually be here and there... You should be up with ease now, but still take you pain meds... The back/ pelvic pain will eventually only come once you have done too much... Rem the more you stir around the better it is for healing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2012, 11:24 AM

The first couple of weeks I lived in my belly binder. I got the regular one from the Hystersister store. They ship very fast.

Pillow pet, I still use it a lot.

Comfy clothes. I wore a dress to the hospital so I wouldn't have anything on my belly. I've been fine with my old bikini undies, they run just below my bottom incisions. I still have swelly belly and live in sweats.

Stuff to keep you occupied. The first two weeks I watched every video in the house. We don't have tv. I also cleaned up all those partial craft projects that were small enough to do in my lap.

Colace, I started taking it before surgery.
Unread 01-08-2012, 01:58 PM

Wow everyone, thanks so much for your replies! Tons of great info here and I'll be adding them all to my OCD list, lol.
So I guess with all of the gas issues I should cut out Pepsi for a little while, well forever, I've been trying to quit but it's like crack, lol. My DH wont know if I'm being a raving loony because of the hormones or me going off the Pepsi Pipe as he calls it, hehehe. Maybe I'll try some different iced teas that will give me the same effect without the bloating.

Good Lord there's so much to think about! (head spinning)
Unread 01-08-2012, 02:01 PM

Definitely cut out the bubbly stuff for at least a week post-op. It will only make the gas pains worse. I started having gas pains as soon as I went off of the liquid diet which was post op day two. They came in waves across my stomach. Anything carbonated would aggrivate what is already aggrivated. I doubt that you would even want any Pepsi/crack for a few days at least. If you are hooked on caffeine, start to wean yourself off of it before your surgery so you don't get that horrible caffeine headache.

They do encourage drinking tea or cocoa, even coffee to help get the bladder going again. I had hot tea every morning and cocoa every night in the hospital.
Unread 01-13-2012, 10:08 AM

I always like to be prepared, so I read through this thread I'm taking down notes for my 1/30 surgery. I hadn't even thought about slippers you slip on-duh!
Great info! Thanks ladies!
Unread 01-15-2012, 01:13 AM

In hospital, especially the first day after surgery, it was very useful to have facial wipes so I could freshen up my face/neck before I could get out of bed.

Definitely the grabber-thingy & the stool softeners have been essential post-op tools.

I would also add a PLASTIC STOOL to put inside the shower so you can sit down if you have to, and to make it easier to wash your legs without bending so far. Another nice thing for the first few days is a small carafe for bedside water - mine has a lid (to keep out insects) which also doubles as a cup.

Cheers, and good luck to you all.
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:06 AM

Clothes - I have a little stored here, a little there, different sizes, different seasons, etc. The dresser in our bedroom is old and sometimes I have to really pull the drawers, so before the surgery, I did a little fashion show for myself and selected the clothes most likely to be comfortable and easy to put on after surgery.

These larger, looser simple clothes I put aside on a window seat so that the first couple of weeks I could just reach over and get something easy to put on. It helped not to have to struggle to put together an outfit or get into it.
Unread 01-15-2012, 11:03 AM

1. plenty of toilet paper within reach so you're not having to open cabinets or reach a shelf.

2. Make sure your cabinets are not hard to open. If they are leave them ajar prior to your castle visit. And remind friends/ family to leave them ajar

3. Stool softeners and lots of water. Check to make sure the Gas X you are using isn't a part of the recent recall. I also had Maalox chewables handy for any nausea.

4. Maybe an electric blanket and extra pillows for the bed.

5. Paper plates, bowl and plastic wear. You won't be doing dishes for a while.

Good luck sister and welcome to your new family!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register