dressing for the incision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

dressing for the incision dressing for the incision

Unread 12-29-2001, 07:15 PM
dressing for the incision

hi ladies. i am preparing for my surgery on the 28th of january. question...what works best as a dressing for the vertical incision (e.g. gauze, a particular type of tape that won't cause the ouches, etc.) any info appreciated and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2001, 07:33 PM

Hi Rosa!

Ultimately, your DR should advise how your incision needs to be treated after your surgery.

In my own experience, (I had a vertical incision, too) when the staples came out (1 week after my surgery) my DR placed steri-strips on the incision and told me:
- leave the strips on until they peel off on their own, approx. 2 weeks (then peel off whatever has not already peeled)
- do NOT put ANYTHING on the incision (except Maybe antibiotic ointment)
- wash the area with soap and water in the shower (no baths for 8 weeks, in my case), and dry completely

I was instructed to leave the incision without any dressing on it. When I did put neosporin on mine, I would place a pantiliner over it ONLY to protect my panties from getting neosporin on them), but essentially my DR wanted it to be left open to get air and stay clean and dry.

You should not have to provide any dressing for your incision; please check with your DR about this to be sure.

Best Wishes!
Unread 12-30-2001, 11:40 AM

Thanx for the info, Toonces. I had a horizontal incision a few years ago and wasn't sure of similarities in dressings. But I will surely check in with the dr. about it. Happy New Year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2001, 12:44 PM
dressing

Like Toonces, my DR didn't want a dressing on the incision. In fact even in the hospital, she just had a clean towel resting on my belly until I was up and about, then nothing. I have not even put any ontiment on mine - it is healing very well.
Unread 12-30-2001, 01:29 PM

I had a horizontal (bikini) incision. I didn't have any staples or sutures on the outside - just steri strips. My instructions were to just pat the area dry after my shower, and remove the strips when they started to fall off (about 2 weeks post-op). My incision healed beautifully.
Unread 12-30-2001, 05:11 PM
Hey Rosa!

I had a biniki cut also and had staples for about 4 days then when they were removed had the little strips they came off mostly by themselves. I had gauze on my incision right after surgery, My removed it when she came by that evening and said no more cover. I didn't have any problems with it at all. Your DR is the one to tell you if you need to put anything on it or cover it at all. I didn't wear any underwear for at least 2 weeks so if I had put something on it wouldn't have hurt. We are always here you on so have that talk with the . God Bless.
Unread 12-31-2001, 04:42 AM

It sounds like most of you did not use a dressing. Am I correct to assume that none of you used the stomach binder? Just curious.
Unread 12-31-2001, 04:53 AM
tummy binder

No tummy binder here; when I asked my DR about it, he said he didn't even know what a tummy binder was!
Unread 12-31-2001, 01:28 PM

No tummy binder here either - I never even heard of it until post op, on this site.
Unread 12-31-2001, 08:55 PM

Hi Rosa

My personal expierence, included a binder that was placed by the surgeon after surgery. He also left a towel in place to asorb the bit of bleeding that there was. Latter the nurses changed the soiled towel with a 5x9 dressing. It was just to asorb the light bleeding. I went home with a pany girdle and used my left over panty linners to asorb the slight bleeding.

I chose to do this without my surgeons recomendations. His nurse said it was a good choice, and it made sense for my comfort.

My own insision had nothing else on it. No antibotics. I had 20 staples removed from a vertical insision, last Thursday and the nurse said it has healed well and replaced the staples with steri-strips to fall off at will. I know for me the panty girdle felt good, along with the heating pad (on low) and personally recomend it. Ask your doctor, although doctors have a difference of opinion from one office to the next with the same procedure.

Take Care and I hope all goes well with you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register