Endometrium Thickness? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrium Thickness? Endometrium Thickness?

Unread 01-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Endometrium Thickness?

My Dr. seemed quite concerned with the "thickness" of my uterine lining as shown on my ultrasound. (8.3mm). Now of course I didn't know anything about whats supposed to be a "normal" or not "normal" thickness and totally forgot to ask him when he started talking about cancer. So today I decided to search the net to see what information I could find.

So far I have found info that says anything LESS than 8mm could be considered a "thin" uterine lining (which would make my lining LESS than a grain of sand thicker). Info saying it is "normal" to be around 6.75mm all the way to information that says a "normal" monthly range can be any where from 3.mm to 16mm!!!!!

UHHHH???? Help...any idea on what is supposedly "NORMAL" for a premenopausal woman?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Re: Endometrium Thickness?

Kay,
Well I can speak to this a little...as a patient not a doc. My endometrial layer was a 12.5 before surgery....at the time in the month when it should have been a 6-8. My doc said not to worry too much...unless its in the 20 range, its probably fine..but he ordered the endo cancer screen anyway.

So now 4 weeks post op, having my results all explained, I can tell you while my uterus, due to the thickening of the walls was twice the size of a normal one...and my endometrial layer was full of lesions. These were all NON CANCEROUS. However, after surgery, my doc said it was good we didn't wait any longer, and he apologized for not understanding the amount of pain I had been in before surgery, Ha!

I don't think you have a lot to worry about. If he didn't do a screen then he isn't too worried, but call and talk with the doc if you are worried!
Unread 01-09-2012, 03:29 AM

Ty for replying Twitch. The first Dr I saw did want to do a screening. He had scheduled a hysterscopy and D&C for four days before he scheduled me for a TAH. (everything was rushed because of insurance issues). I thought it was a bit excessive to do the D&C then a hyster a few days later and when our insurance situation settled I made an appointment to get a second opinion. That appointment is later today and I am scared stiff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2012, 05:06 AM

I am in a similar situation as you (asked about it a few days ago in a different thread) First of all, I know how scary this is because I feel the exact same way. I had an U/S and they found my uterine lining to be very thick (I think it was about 19. I was trying to read over the Dr's shoulder but she wasn't about to let me see it, lol) She did discuss with me that that thickness would be normal for someone who hasn't had a period in over a year, but I have been taking progesterone every 4 months to cause a bleed so at most, that was 4 months worth. I am not scheduled for a meet with the surgeon on the 27th to find out how extensive my surgery is going to be, but I also have a biopsy on the 25th. I did read up on it and it says most thick endometrial linings (Hyperplasia) are non cancerous but they are Pre-cancerous with it eventually able to become full blown cancer if untreated (usually after age 40). That was what the net said. It said that it won't always become cancer, it usually doesn't start off as cancer, but it can and does become cancer when untreated. This is why I have been taking progesterone every 4 months up until the point where I started non-stop bleeds. I do hope your scan turns out well and if you would like to keep in touch through this, I am okay with that. It's scary to go through alone and I'm sad you're going through this, but thank you for posting and sharing.
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:02 AM

I added this question to my list, of what seems like, a bajillion questions for my new OBGYN today. Now might be a good time for another ultrasound or an MRI to compair what my uterus was like, to wast it is now 2 months later.

The thought of having a biopsy or hysterescopy scares me. I think some of that is residual fear is from having a midwife put her hand up into my uterus 3 times to try and pull free what she thought was retained placenta after my 3rd daughter was born. It was an extremely traumatic experiences, so now the idea of any one putting anything into my cervix causes huge panic attacks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register