Scheduled LAVH 9 days away & scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

9 days away & scared 9 days away & scared

Unread 01-08-2012, 07:11 PM
9 days away & scared

LAVH/BSO scheduled-i am anxious to get this over with. can no longer tolerate the suffering (heavy bleeding, clotting, pressure, pain, frequent urination, extreme bloating, etc. etc.). i am also so scared of the surgery that i want to stop the clock so the day never comes. crazy lady, i am. dreading the bowel prep, liquid diet day before & the IV (fear of needles), the anesthesia, the possibility of bleeding to death, not waking up, etc. etc. my mind is spinning. i am trying so hard to keep busy. house is clean & will wrap things up at work this week & will continue exercising & going to gym. ugh. Hubby says we are going to take it easy this coming weekend. wants me relaxed for tuesday a.m. i am driving myself crazy. i feel dizzy, foggy, confused at times and feel like i should not be making any major decisions this week. i need to stop. i have tachycardia and feel that my heart will race out of control if i cant relax. anxiety and fear not helping matters. stop the madness!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Re: Jan 17th-9 days away & scared

Hi Sally. This last week pre op is difficult. It sounds like you are well prepared at home and work. The stress and anxiety you feel are completely normal, and we've all been there. I was such a mess pre op. Perhaps ask your doctor for a sedative or muscle relaxant to take when you're really anxious. I will help with your tachycardia or any difficulties sleeping. It's important to rest and eat well this week, next week will be traumatic for your body. Accept any help offered from friends and family. It will take pressure off you and your hubby and will make them feel good to assist you. It's time to give up some control around the house, at work and at the hospital. Trust that everyone around you cares and will do their best for you. You will wake up. You will be fine. And the IV nurses are lovely and do their best to no hurt. Once the IV is in for a couple minutes you forget it's in there. I'm sending you a comforting hug.
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:14 PM

Hi Sally,

I know how you feel. I am scheduled for a LASH on Jan. 24th and I am scared too. My friends keep saying "this really stinks" and my husband tries to say everything will be fine but I just want to sream "NO, I changed my mind I don't need this." I know the surgery will make me feel better and the monthly bloating, cramps, fatigue, etc.. will end but when I think of the surgery I just want to cry.
The only thing that is working to calm me down is that I started reading again and try to pick up my book over a box of tissues. I love your husband's idea of taking it easy the weekend prior. I was thinking of planning a girls trip to the nail salon the weekend before just to spend some time with friends pampering myself.
You are not alone! We can get through this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2012, 08:27 PM

I don't know how I actually went through with the surgery I so badly didn't want to do it. I cried the entire time until I went into the OR. Cried when they put the IV in, cried when the anesthetist met with me and told him I want to go home, cried when thy wheeled me in and my doctor met me in OR and held my hand while I asked him why do I have to do this? Let the tears out. You're braver than you think you are. We're women and we can do anything :-)
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandspice View Post
Hi Sally. This last week pre op is difficult. It sounds like you are well prepared at home and work. The stress and anxiety you feel are completely normal, and we've all been there. I was such a mess pre op. Perhaps ask your doctor for a sedative or muscle relaxant to take when you're really anxious. I will help with your tachycardia or any difficulties sleeping. It's important to rest and eat well this week, next week will be traumatic for your body. Accept any help offered from friends and family. It will take pressure off you and your hubby and will make them feel good to assist you. It's time to give up some control around the house, at work and at the hospital. Trust that everyone around you cares and will do their best for you. You will wake up. You will be fine. And the IV nurses are lovely and do their best to no hurt. Once the IV is in for a couple minutes you forget it's in there. I'm sending you a comforting hug.
Thank you for the encouraging words. You are absolutely right in that sleep and diet are super important this week and i need to focus on taking care during these final days before surgery. I got xanax from dr. So i assume i will be taking to help me get thru the week with some normalcy. You hit the nail on the head: i need to put the type A personality on the back burner and release the urge to control. A hug right back at ya.
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csem View Post
Hi Sally,

I know how you feel. I am scheduled for a LASH on Jan. 24th and I am scared too. My friends keep saying "this really stinks" and my husband tries to say everything will be fine but I just want to sream "NO, I changed my mind I don't need this." I know the surgery will make me feel better and the monthly bloating, cramps, fatigue, etc.. will end but when I think of the surgery I just want to cry.
The only thing that is working to calm me down is that I started reading again and try to pick up my book over a box of tissues. I love your husband's idea of taking it easy the weekend prior. I was thinking of planning a girls trip to the nail salon the weekend before just to spend some time with friends pampering myself.
You are not alone! We can get through this.
We can and will get thru this. Albeit difficult, we will make it to the other side in one piece. I got grishams "the litigators" so i will read this week at night to help me fall asleep. Dr. Gave me trazadone to help me sleep too. Its gonna be tough!!!
Unread 01-08-2012, 09:17 PM

I had LAVHBSO on 12/7/10 and I had similar feelings It is very stressful, even if you know the surgery will help with some issues, because there is always risk. Fear of the unknown is terrible. Hang in there. I hate needles too. Avert your eyes. As for the bowel prep, try to have a sense of humor about it. I made myself laugh while giving myself an enema because I thought of how ridiculous I must look. My signature song is "I enjoy being a girl" with tongue in cheek.
Unread 01-08-2012, 09:40 PM

I know how you feel, I'm scheduled for Tuesday morning at 5:30 and up till today I had been pretty calm, but...tomorrow is my liquid day and my nerves are getting raw. If it helps, I had my Gall Bladder out 2 years ago, laproscopically as well and it was a piece of cake. I keep reminding myself of that and how much better I will feel after everything is gone. Also, the nurses and Doc's will make you comfortable...they call it "HAPPY JUICE" and it definitely takes the edge off, just before they take you in. I'm rambling...I'm nervous too. Good Luck!
Unread 01-09-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belladonna1958 View Post
I know how you feel, I'm scheduled for Tuesday morning at 5:30 and up till today I had been pretty calm, but...tomorrow is my liquid day and my nerves are getting raw. If it helps, I had my Gall Bladder out 2 years ago, laproscopically as well and it was a piece of cake. I keep reminding myself of that and how much better I will feel after everything is gone. Also, the nurses and Doc's will make you comfortable...they call it "HAPPY JUICE" and it definitely takes the edge off, just before they take you in. I'm rambling...I'm nervous too. Good Luck!
Bella, whats your menu for the liquid diet? Is it clear soups all day? I was going to make chicken soup and vegetable soup, strain it and drink the soup. Dr said absolutely no fruits or salad. Im gonna starve. Also, are you shaving legs? I forgot to ask dr although hospital papers says dont shave anything. Will call her today. i wish you the very best tomorrow. I will be thinking of you. Sending A great big hug your way.
Unread 01-09-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwoman View Post
I had LAVHBSO on 12/7/10 and I had similar feelings It is very stressful, even if you know the surgery will help with some issues, because there is always risk. Fear of the unknown is terrible. Hang in there. I hate needles too. Avert your eyes. As for the bowel prep, try to have a sense of humor about it. I made myself laugh while giving myself an enema because I thought of how ridiculous I must look. My signature song is "I enjoy being a girl" with tongue in cheek.
How is your recovery so far and did you have any other repair work done?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register