Scheduled LAVH 9 days away & scared - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

9 days away & scared 9 days away & scared

Unread 01-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Re: Jan 17th-9 days away & scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally1964 View Post
Bella, whats your menu for the liquid diet? Is it clear soups all day? I was going to make chicken soup and vegetable soup, strain it and drink the soup. Dr said absolutely no fruits or salad. Im gonna starve. Also, are you shaving legs? I forgot to ask dr although hospital papers says dont shave anything. Will call her today. i wish you the very best tomorrow. I will be thinking of you. Sending A great big hug your way.
I think it's safe to shave your legs and armpits but they don't want you shaving your pubic area. They will shave if they want to after you're asleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2012, 11:30 AM

The week or so before the surgery is nerve racking. But once you get to the hospital, things move along very quickly. I also was worried about the IV and the nurses used a cold spray to numb the hand so it was not at all uncomfortable. Plus they gave me a sedative so that I could be more relaxed. The next thing you know, you are waking up in recovery and being taken to your room. They use your IV bag to deliver pain meds so you are comfortable and just sleep. I went home the next day. I was sore for 2 days but by day three I could already see the light at the end of the tunnel and was getting around really well. It is going to be fine!!
Unread 01-09-2012, 12:20 PM

I have the exact same date you do 1/17 and at 9:30a surgery (TAH). I'm feeling the anxiety too, but telling myself how much better I will feel a few months from now. I had surgery once before in my life and it helped my anxiety tremendously to focus on the eventual outcome of being healthier and having my problem fixed. For me, surgery needs to happen because my fibroids are closing off my rectum and pushing into everything. I have about a 5 month pregnant uterus. I will trust in my doctors and the nurses to take good care of me and I will not let myself be pushed into doing more than I can during recovery. Hang in there fellow 1/17 sister!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally1964 View Post
LAVH/BSO scheduled-i am anxious to get this over with. can no longer tolerate the suffering (heavy bleeding, clotting, pressure, pain, frequent urination, extreme bloating, etc. etc.). i am also so scared of the surgery that i want to stop the clock so the day never comes. crazy lady, i am. dreading the bowel prep, liquid diet day before & the IV (fear of needles), the anesthesia, the possibility of bleeding to death, not waking up, etc. etc. my mind is spinning. i am trying so hard to keep busy. house is clean & will wrap things up at work this week & will continue exercising & going to gym. ugh. Hubby says we are going to take it easy this coming weekend. wants me relaxed for tuesday a.m. i am driving myself crazy. i feel dizzy, foggy, confused at times and feel like i should not be making any major decisions this week. i need to stop. i have tachycardia and feel that my heart will race out of control if i cant relax. anxiety and fear not helping matters. stop the madness!!!
First off breathebreathe,breathe in through the nose and out the mouth.
I was in the same shape as you before my surgery almost 5 weeks ago.
Then go down your list; Bowel prep no worries, cross it off your list,IV, breathe through it and focus elsewhere it was not so painful, ,bleeding you will be typed and crossmatched for transfusion and ready to receive blood if needed, breathe cross this off your list too,
Anesthesia.. these people have years of school and practice they know their science and do surgeries for a living.They too are MD's and have their own nurses who are specially schooled and trained also.
Trust in your team ,put your faith in them.
Your and my fears were more about being not in control of our destiny for a bit.A very hard place for me to be.
I therefore could not believe how calm I became in the 12 hours befor my surgery.I amazed myself.I just decided to be calm and trust my team and it worked.I had a choice calm or crazed I chose calm and it really worked.
My surgery was scheduled for 1:00 pm and because of an emergency that came in was not until 4:00 pm.I remained calm and understanding to others.It was weird ,because like you I was ans anxiety filled woman who couldn't sleep or function correctly.
There are also drugs to reduce anxiety and your MD would probably prescribe a short course for you if you asked and explained your anxiety.
They are benzodiazepines;Valium,Xanax etc.
Sending positve thoughts your way and know all will work out for you.
Unread 01-09-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielheart View Post
I have the exact same date you do 1/17 and at 9:30a surgery (TAH). I'm feeling the anxiety too, but telling myself how much better I will feel a few months from now. I had surgery once before in my life and it helped my anxiety tremendously to focus on the eventual outcome of being healthier and having my problem fixed. For me, surgery needs to happen because my fibroids are closing off my rectum and pushing into everything. I have about a 5 month pregnant uterus. I will trust in my doctors and the nurses to take good care of me and I will not let myself be pushed into doing more than I can during recovery. Hang in there fellow 1/17 sister!
i dont have a choice for surgery either. i have exhausted all other viable options. my cervix is protruding, my fibroid is massive (with several small ones keeping it company), i have pain, pressure, bleeding, blah, blah, blah. we will need to keep in touch. i am sending you hugs- 7 days tomorrow and counting.
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:03 PM

I am scared too. I am scheduled for this Thursday January 12th at 1:00 p.m - I had my pre-op at the gyn this morning. I have had surgery before including a mastectomy and a gallbladder removal but I am so nervous - mainly about recovery - my mind keeps taking me to the place of "what if" - my doc gave me some ativan to relax me and also told me to read, watch movies, just relax and try to keep my mind off of it. Bowel prep is not pleasant but it is doable - for the IV - just make sure you look away - it will be fast and once it is in it should not bother you much. I really do not have a choice either as my breast cancer is estrogen positive and the lupron has stopped being effective at keeping the estrogen shut off so ovaries out for sure and the gyn said my uterine lining was thick which it should not be as I have been on lupron for 5.5 years so he has recommended the whole kit and kaboodle to come out. I have many people praying for me and I am trying to focus on praying myself and telling myself to trust that everything will be ok. Good luck to you!
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:58 PM

Sally,

We'll make through. Honest, we will, and we'll meet in the date club on the other side in just a few days. :-) Being scared and nervous is natural. I worry that I'm not scared enough, but I've also *had* enough of this stuff that's let me to this point. So have you, I would imagine. So, next Tuesday, we'll suck it up & go in and get this taken care of so we can start healing and then start living again. I am sooo looking forward to that part of it all!

Grins,
Unread 01-09-2012, 11:46 PM

Sally, I did not have repair work done. I will say I had my gall bladder out in 92 laprascopically. My gyn warned me LACH/BSO would take more time and she wasn't kidding. Surgery itself was about twice was long, and I was definitely more sore. I would encourage to keep exercising to keep busy and because you will not get to do it for a while. I think it's okay to shave your legs; avoid getting cuts, but the hospital doesn't want you to shave the surgical area due to risk of open cuts. The bowel prep is not fun; it is far less horrible than say, stomach flu, and by the time you get up for the surgery you will be too anxious to be hungry.
I will say it again: it is normal to be scared. The problem is, we don't like being scared, so we fight against it. You are talking about major surgery. Check with yourself; have you considered all options? Feel comfortable with the doc? Then allow yourself to feel your fear, but do not let it make you miserable. And keep relying on your sisters here for support!
Unread 01-10-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingwithhope View Post
I am scared too. I am scheduled for this Thursday January 12th at 1:00 p.m - I had my pre-op at the gyn this morning. I have had surgery before including a mastectomy and a gallbladder removal but I am so nervous - mainly about recovery - my mind keeps taking me to the place of "what if" - my doc gave me some ativan to relax me and also told me to read, watch movies, just relax and try to keep my mind off of it. Bowel prep is not pleasant but it is doable - for the IV - just make sure you look away - it will be fast and once it is in it should not bother you much. I really do not have a choice either as my breast cancer is estrogen positive and the lupron has stopped being effective at keeping the estrogen shut off so ovaries out for sure and the gyn said my uterine lining was thick which it should not be as I have been on lupron for 5.5 years so he has recommended the whole kit and kaboodle to come out. I have many people praying for me and I am trying to focus on praying myself and telling myself to trust that everything will be ok. Good luck to you!
The what ifs are enough to drive us crazy. I too have many and i hate it. I hope you have a great and relaxing day tooday and that your surgery tomorrow will be uneventful and a speedy recovery. I will be watching for your posts on the other side. I will add you to my prayer list tonight.
Unread 01-10-2012, 01:26 PM

My LVAH is Jan. 16th 8am so i am right there with you if i feel up to it i will try to post just to let you know how it all went and how i feel. Best of Luck and I will keep you and all of you sisters in my PRAYERS! OUR GOD IS SO BIG SO STONG AND SO MIGHTY THERES NOTHING HE GIVES US WE CANNOT HANDLE!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register