Help! Extensive endo, no HRT, and mood swings - Not sure what to do | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help!  Extensive endo, no HRT, and mood swings - Not sure what to do Help! Extensive endo, no HRT, and mood swings - Not sure what to do

Unread 01-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Help! Extensive endo, no HRT, and mood swings - Not sure what to do

I had dVH/BSO December 12th. Hot flashes haven't been bad, but I had depression since surgery & even before the surgery (situational sadness I think). Additionally, my thinking is pretty foggy. I thought it was the anesthesia and pain killers, but I'm far enough out now that things should be much better.

My energy level is gradually improving, but I still tire easily. Work is a chore.

In addition to the foggy thinking, depression, and fatigue, my main concern is my mood. It's as if I had PMS this weekend, even though I didn't. I was irritable, depressed, angry...I feel like I'm losing my mind.

My RE doesn't want to do ERT or HRT unless I show bone loss 6 months post op because of the extensive endometriosis. But she did say sometimes depression worsens, and then estrogen is indicated. In the meantime, she sent me home with a prescription for progesterone, but I'm not sure that will help stabilize my mood swings.

Has anyone else had mood instability while waiting to start HRT? Did the mood improve once HRT was started? Any recommendations on what to do for the next 5 months? Does progesterone help the mood or hurt it?

My husband thinks I'm losing my mind. I don't want to put any further stress on my marriage...the years of pain and recent surgery have been enough stress.

Thanks for the help, ladies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Wink - Help!  Extensive endo, no HRT, and mood swings - Not sure what to do Re: Help! Extensive endo, no HRT, and mood swings - Not sure what to do

I cannot take hrt but am taking progesterone USP grade from health store and it helped my nausea. It also helps me have normal blood sugar along with protein foods. As far as the crankies depends on the people around you too. I couldn't take it with the lupron but seem to be ok with surgical menopause. A gal from my daughter's school says she uses this along with Vit E, Black Cohash, flax seed--helps with hotflashes, and soy milk. Don't forget to take extra calcium and magnesium and omega 3's with VIT.D. I get these from health food stores too. Without estrogen you may need VIT.K I recommend talking with your doctor 1st before starting any new regime. I don't want a lot of estrogen because I want endo gone. I'm 3 1/2wks. It sucks. I feel shaky and somewhat moody today. Yesterday I was sad. Each day is different. If I get anxiety real bad I take my anxiety meds which helps me sleep along with my muscle relaxer. Does it work, the muscle relaxer does, the anxiety I have'nt figured that out. I feel it with hotflashes. I probably should get something more natural like passionflower. But I need to get Dr approval.
I've noticed my husbands changing is due to my lack of estrogen as I documented with lupron appears to be the same with surgical menopause. However he is not remembering that to be the case this time. I will give him my documentation later. Our lack of estrogen does affect our men. Enjoy your good days and see if progesterone helps.
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Question - Help!  Extensive endo, no HRT, and mood swings - Not sure what to do Re: Help! Extensive endo, no HRT, and mood swings - Not sure what to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweekers View Post
I cannot take hrt but am taking progesterone USP grade from health store and it helped my nausea. It also helps me have normal blood sugar along with protein foods. As far as the crankies depends on the people around you too. I couldn't take it with the lupron but seem to be ok with surgical menopause. A gal from my daughter's school says she uses this along with Vit E, Black Cohash, flax seed--helps with hotflashes, and soy milk. Don't forget to take extra calcium and magnesium and omega 3's with VIT.D. I get these from health food stores too. Without estrogen you may need VIT.K I recommend talking with your doctor 1st before starting any new regime. I don't want a lot of estrogen because I want endo gone. I'm 3 1/2wks. It sucks. I feel shaky and somewhat moody today. Yesterday I was sad. Each day is different. If I get anxiety real bad I take my anxiety meds which helps me sleep along with my muscle relaxer. Does it work, the muscle relaxer does, the anxiety I have'nt figured that out. I feel it with hotflashes. I probably should get something more natural like passionflower. But I need to get Dr approval.
I've noticed my husbands changing is due to my lack of estrogen as I documented with lupron appears to be the same with surgical menopause. However he is not remembering that to be the case this time. I will give him my documentation later. Our lack of estrogen does affect our men. Enjoy your good days and see if progesterone helps.
This is so helpful to know that others are going through similar experiences. When you say your husband is changing due to your lack of estrogen, what do you mean? I noticed that up until last Thursday evening, my mood had been VERY stable, then things started going downhill for the next few days. If I didn't know better, I would say I was having PMS. On Saturday my husband and I had our first disagreement since surgery...and it was a doozy. My reaction was disproportionate to the situation. But I am wondering how my lack of estrogen may affect him...other than having to live with my mood swings.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Re: Help! Extensive endo, no HRT, and mood swings - Not sure what to do

This may be hard to explain but while I was on Lupron I would get agitated with things he would say that would turn into an explosive arguement. After some time we met during his lunch and he expressed how he was feeling. It was as he was living with a roomate, his desire towards me was null. Didn't mean he did'nt love me or was pawning after someone else. Our female bodies put out pheromones which estrogen plays a part. He was confused just as much as me on what was going on. We have had one arguement where he said I needed counseling, (rude) which in turn hurt my feeling because my hormones are dropping, I'm healing from surgery and I later asked him why he would say something like that at a time like this. He kept saying he was sorry and then it dawned on me that if my estrogen is dropping he may inadvertanly be pushing me away because of my lack of hormones. Our hormones is what attracts us to our mates. It is important we let them know it's temporary and how much we love them. He never had a desire towards someone else. Just a pause with me. Because they are men they need a constant reminding. He has photos and videos of me to remind him what was, will actually be better. He's busy with work, the kids, helping to clean up, and I'll bring him in to watch a movie. He reminds me to keep temper in check and I remind him to stay focused on our goal. Yes I feel like I am experiencing pms and being pregnant all at the same time. I'm taking progesterone 2ce a day now. Massage helps to relax me alot when I feel tense. I use Skinny Dip massage and body oil from lovers. Its an aromatic that my husband can stand touching.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register