Scheduled TAH Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-09-2012, 12:37 AM
Question

My TAH is scheduled for Thursday, January 12. Wondering what all I need to pack for the hospital. Dr. says I will be there about 3 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2012, 04:12 AM
Re: Question

Hi i took slippers. Some comfy pjs. Dressing gown and some good magazines or books. And tolitries and a pillow for the journey home for belly x
Unread 01-09-2012, 04:35 AM

Your cellphone - though you may be able to ring out from your hospital room (I could only receive incoming calls on the room phone)

Chapstick/lip balm - it can be a very dry atmosphere in there! You may need eye drops or nasal spray if you have problems along those lines normally.
I took nighties instead of PJs. Easier for the nurses to deal with if you are having a catheter, and you will need a few "inspections" down around those regions also!

I had a private room, but if you are sharing, you might be glad of ear plugs?

Good luck - I'm sure it will go well for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2012, 05:34 AM

snackies.... my hospital food was very low fibre. Have your first visitor bring some fruit but now you could pack trail mix, prunes, fibre 1 bars and your own high fibre bran ceral Good luck.
Unread 01-09-2012, 05:54 PM

I packed oversized satin nightshirts, robe, slippers, chapstick, eyedrops, nose spray, tissues, lifesaver mints, cough drops, socks and underwear (didn't use), my Kindle Fire, cell phone, (with chargers), pillow pet dolphin (loved it), pad and pen, toothbrush and paste, comb, ponytail holder, hair detangler, shampoo, and conditioner. Brought my own feminine products just in case; didn't need them. Brought a few of my ownn otc meds, gas-x, etc., as some people here suggested. I also had a special pillow (sobakawa) that I used for my head instead of hosp. pillow. This I have used a lot, to prop up my feet at home also. And my favorite fluffy oversized throw. A tervis tumbler with sippy cup lid. I found the small touches from home comforting. A small flashlight did come in handy. It seems like there may have been other items, but I suppose the above were the most important. I'm not a light packer but I was glad to have brought what I did.
Unread 01-09-2012, 06:26 PM

I purchased a soft flannel body pillow and was SO glad I took that with me. I found hospital pillows horrible. I also brought a comfy blanket from home. I also purchased a plastic cup (looks just like a take-out container for soda) and long straws. The cups in the hospital are really small and having this is better than asking a lot or having to reach a lot. Earplugs help just in case your roomie is a snorer. Pads! It isn't over yet. Take your own - you'll be more comfortable. Definitely lip balm and make sure toiletries are basic and small sized. You don't want to be carrying a lot. I wore leggings when I was finally free of the catheter and slippers with grip on the bottom. Ask yourself what you wear when you have the flu at home - that's a good measure of what is most comfy for you in terms of clothes. (I bought a nightie but have yet to wear it.) You also might want a small fan. (I was lucky a nurse was able to get me one) I also purchased a larger sized set of panties for after the surgery and very glad I did. I had my tv activated and didn't use my nano for music. I used my cell a lot - don't forget your charger - I also brought an extension cord so I wasn't reaching for my phone.

I hope this helps. Wishing you all the best.
hugs
Mimilly
Unread 01-09-2012, 06:43 PM

I took fuzzy socks, the comfort blankie my friend knitted me (it's a lap blanket), crossword puzzle book, book, iPod and cell phone. I didn't read or do the crosswords (as I felt so loopy from the drugs) but was nice to call folks and listen to music.
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:04 PM

Ask the nurse if you are able to have a vanilla shake. It was the best thing I had the next day. I totally agree about your ipod or mp3 player with all your favorite music to help you sleep and block out noise. When I had my ipod on I found I took less pain meds which helps with bathroom issues. The biggest thing to remember is to get out of bed your own way. I found if you lower the foot of your bed first and slowly move the head of your bed upright it helped me. Make sure all your favorite people come too! Best of luck to you!
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:21 PM

Take your favorite comfie nightgown and fuzzy socks. But above all else, sneak a pack of Gas-X thin strips in your bag. Remember, they won't let you go home until you pass gas. Not a pleasant subject, I know, but I took a nice lady's advise on here before my TAH and it's what saved me!
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:49 PM

I brought 2 gowns that fastened down the front for easy access for the doctor and nurses. This limits how much you have to move to get your gown/pj's up or down and it is not as painful. Just pull the snaps apart and you're done. Also some footies. My feet were always cold. A friend brought me a really soft, long pillow that I used to rest my arm on that had my IV's. (I kept pulling them loose when I moved my arm to get comfortable.) God bless and I pray for a speedy recovery for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register