Would like to keep cervix - hoping to hear success or failure stories from post ops - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Would like to keep cervix - hoping to hear success or failure stories from post ops Would like to keep cervix - hoping to hear success or failure stories from post ops

Unread 01-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Re: Would like to keep cervix - hoping to hear success or failure stories from post o

I kept my cervix - no abnormal paps and gyn/surgeon said why take out something that's healthy. My uterus was removed for large fibroids and I also had both ovaries removed (septated and full of cysts). I've had no bleeding at all, minimal pain after surgery and no problems at all. Best of luck to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Re: Would like to keep cervix - hoping to hear success or failure stories from post o

I had SAH 4 weeks ago. My surgery was due to adenomyosis. I have had no problems. No bleeding, however, I did have ablation in Oct. Also, my orgasm is still here and still great. No intercourse yet, have 2 weeks to go.

My mom had a TVH due to prolapse when I was a teenager. She did not keep her cervix, but did keep her ovaries. She had no problems with her vaginal cuff. She has shared that sex remained great.
Unread 01-12-2012, 05:57 PM

I had TVH and I believe it is not an option to keep cervix so mine is out. Mine was due to multiple prolapse. No endo, fibroids or heavy periods whatsoever. Ovaries looked good and I was premenopausal so still have them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2012, 06:22 PM

Hi MM05! Good for you for informing yourself and asking questions. It can be a little tough sometimes to "go there" and read about potential issues one way or the other but it will give you peace of mind in the decision that you ultimately make.

I had my surgery in May 2010, and kept my cervix. I was initially told I should have it removed as a precaution to cancer. I went for a second opinion from another surgeon who specialized in laparoscopic hysterectomies and he had a much different perspective. I chose him as my surgeon, and I haven't had any issues or mini-periods to date. I have no issue with going for pap tests, it was more important to me to keep as many healthy parts as possible. But that is a personal choice.

My decision process was long and drawn out...several months, while I waited to see the second surgeon, and then a third for good measure. I burned up the Pre-Op Forum with all my questions and anxiety! But now, 20 months out, I am absolutely confidant that I made the right choice for me. I wish you the same peace of mind!

As for the freaking out...ya, it pretty well ends with surgery! haha! But seriously, if there is anything you can do for yourself in the last few days that will help you calm your mind, do it! Have a massage or lots of bubblebaths, or whatever works for you. Try to start visualizing your life without all that bleeding! Can you even imagine it??

Wishing you the best with your decision and your surgery/recovery!
Unread 01-12-2012, 08:56 PM

Thanks all! Glad to hear so many success stories.

I do know there is a possibility my doc may have to take my cervix no matter what. It is all based on what she finds inside. But she is very confident I should be able to retain it.

I feel like this is the hardest decision I have ever made! Although I don't love annual exams - for me it isn't that bothersome to get them done.

I mostly just want the pain gone. And my doc is nice and is honest and said really there is no guarantee if I take it out or leave it in if I will be pain free after. It should help, but since everyone's body is so unique - it is hard to say.

So I guess I just have to go with my gut for now and leave it in. I may waiver as I have about 10 Amy's till surgery - but want to be confident in my decision going into surgery as I think that will help keep me calmer.

I am planning on pampering me some with a mani/pedi soon. My friends and family have been supportive, but know they are getting sick of my delimma since I talk about it constantly! Thank you to everyone who answers questions even when there is so much on the subject. But you never know when someone will provide a new tidbit of info!

The anxiety is the worst! Wishing everyone who has responded continued success!
Unread 01-13-2012, 09:12 AM

The anxiety really was the worst! When I was preparing for my surgery and worrying over whether or not to keep my ovaries and cervix a sister on this site said 'You can always take them out later but you can't put them back!'. As much as I wanted to solve my problem in one surgery I felt she had a really good point! It helped me a lot. Good luck!
Unread 01-13-2012, 11:58 PM

I decided to keep my cervix because I was afraid that it would change sex if I had it removed. I'm almost 4 weeks post of.
It was a very personal decision for me. I had no history of abnormal paps and no family history of cancer. I wanted to keep my cervix even though I will still need to have yearly exams and there is a possibility of having monthly bleeding (My Dr. cauterized the cervix to minimize the possibility). My Dr. told me that when the cervix is removed, the vagina is shortened a little. I didn't want that. She also said that sometimes it can cause nerve damage. I didn't want that either. My Dr. usually does TVH and didn't want to leave my cervix but I stuck to what I wanted and she ended up doing an LSH. I'm so happy with my decision. There has been no 'mini periods' yet but I'm only post op 4 weeks so we'll see. Even if I do have mini periods, I know it won't be anything like what I had before. I'm not worried about it.
It is good that you are researching it. In the end, go with what YOU want. If your dr. has to change the plan for medical reasons then so be it.
No regrets
Unread 01-14-2012, 12:49 AM

I am just under three weeks out from surgery. Everything out but my cervix. We knew I had endo, hyperplasia and ovarian cysts and suspected adenomyosis (which I did have). My doctor found two fibroids growing into my cervix so I wound up with about half my cervix left. I am very glad to have it and have already enjoyed several post-surgery orgasms (no intercourse) that I suspect may be so good at least partly because of my remaining cervix.

Big hugs regarding the anxiety, I agree it is the worst! And it will completely disappear the moment you wake up in recovery! I was SOOOO happy in the recovery room and recall everyone laughing when I asked in my drug-induced state if we were on American Idol (I heard music playing and one of the nurses singing). Oh the relief!

Things that really helped me find peace before surgery:
Guided Imagery for successful surgery CD by Belleruth Napersteck (from Amazon)
Another guided imagery/affirmations for surgery CD by Peggy
Huddleston (Amazon)
The book, "Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster" by Peggy Huddleston
Having a gratitude and goodbye "ceremony" for my reproductive organs (simple but surprisingly cathartic and peace-inducing)
Writing "I Love You" letters to my family
Manicure/pedicure
Massages (I did 3 Massage Envy trips the week prior to my surgery, it was so worth it!)
A small glass of Bailey's Irish Creme on the rocks at night the week before surgery exept for the last night of course (I cleared this with my doctor and the hospital first)
Setting up a recovery area in my bedroom, including subliminal relaxation and healing CD's (Steven Halpern is my fave) that I listen to

Our bodies respond better to surgery and heal better when we are not in a state of stress and anxiety. Relaxed muscles and normal heart rates are easier to operate on and more optimal for recovery. It is so worth the investment for your overall health, to find whatever brings you peace and calm prior to as well as after your surgery.
Unread 01-14-2012, 03:38 AM

As you can see the anxiety has me up early. Thanks Sparrows Somg for helping remind me I have to figure something out to calm down! I know I need to , but you put it very well! I want my body and mind to be ready. I have a mani/pedi planned - but think I will look into a massage or two. They usually help me out. I hardly drink , but have been having some wine lately to help at night. I will check w/ the hospital at my pre-op to ensure when I should discontinue that! I am actually thankful my work has been so busy lately as I haven't had time to think about it during the day. LOL!

Thanks everyone for their support. I really think I am going to leave it in. I probably can't articulate why- but I guess it is just a gut feeling. I will let my Dr. make any medically
Necessary decisions while in there - but I did talk to her about it and she feels
Chances are minimal she would 'have' to take it. So I just have to hope she is right and everything works out for the best!

So glad to have the support here!
Unread 01-14-2012, 11:34 PM

MM05... You remind me of me! I had anxiety so bad I had to get a prescription for Xanax. I've never been so happy as when I woke up to the post op person saying "we're all done"

I kept my cervix and I am very happy with that choice. No mini periods, sex is ok, and so on. Hugs to you! I know how excruciating those last weeks before surgery are... It consumed me, and no one that isn't in that boat with you or been there recently can relate. Lots of deep breaths, allow yourself that wine, and speak to a Dr or PA if your anxiety Becomes overwhelming like mine did. I feel so much better and healthier now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register