Is it true about sex? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is it true about sex? Is it true about sex?

Unread 01-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Is it true about sex?

Do most women lose there sex drive after surgery?
Is there anyone out there, who's sex drive imoroved?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Re: Is it true about sex?

In short: No and Yes

Some women experience problems with libido after hysterectomy, but I don't think it's 'most'.

For many/most of us, the desire for sex has not decreased and for some it has actually increased.

My own story is pretty similar to others I have read -

PreHystory: little or no sex for days or weeks at a time due to prolonged and/or heavy bleeding and discomfort if not all out pain.

PostHystory: No more bleeding and no more pain lead to more intimacy - After your doctor says it's ok of course.

I was also at the point that it didn't matter so me as much as getting my life back - the ability to exercise and participate in family outings that didn't include instantly handy toilets and a back pack full of super pads. My husband was in agreement.

Good Luck.
Unread 01-10-2012, 07:28 AM

Queen,
I am only 5 weeks out...and worried about the same. However, so far..my drive is still there. Body is not yet responding...but mentally I still want to.

Pre surgery: Very, very active until last six months, when lengthened menses and pain got in the way. Before that many times in a week.

Post surgery: Still orgasmic, however, takes more to get there. Mind is willing and desires, however, body not as responsive, YET. I trust that will change, even though my ovaries may not ever work again.

Sending good thoughts your way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2012, 07:44 AM

My doctor openly discussed with me that he would be levaing the area needed to continue with the orgasm the cervix and above ther cervix.

Libido is still strong.
Orgasm intact with a little longer in foreplay.
Hope this helps.
Prior to my surgery well meaning friends gave me the warning of horror stories they'd like to share. I was so relieved when the doctor brought it up. Best wishes.
Paula
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:51 AM

For me, it takes less foreplay to get there, and it's been very intense.
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:59 AM

queen,

For many women when the pain and/or heavy bleeding is fixed sex is improved. There are some who have problems post hyster but most of us have good results--I'm much better.
Hormone replacement plays a big role in my sexual function.

You don't need to keep your cervix to have orgasms. Please discuss your individual concerns with your doctor.

Unread 01-10-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypat View Post
You don't need to keep your cervix to have orgasms. Please discuss your individual concerns with your doctor.
I have no cervix and still have orgasms - not a problem, but they do feel different - not bad at all - just different.
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:07 AM

I'm 2 weeks post op I had everything removed . I'm not on hormone replacement since the menopause symptoms aren't bad (at least yet.) I have not felt a decrease in in sex drive at all. I have been ready to go since about day 3. My doc gave me the release to have outercourse during my 1 week post op and I have been happily having orgasms since. Pre surgery I didn't have bleeding on a regular occasion. I was lucky to have a period once or twice a year (they were murder when they did come.) I had no preop pain during sex either. As far as I can tell so far everything still feels the same.
Unread 01-10-2012, 06:03 PM

I am only 4 weeks out and not cleared for sex yet. All I can say is all the hormones are there and stronger. Hubby and I are counting down the days. I see date night in our future! Got the okay for outer course. Orgasms are all good! Best part...I never have to plan a get away around a period ever again!
Unread 01-11-2012, 12:41 AM

I am 7 weeks post op from TLH/LSO and have been sexually active again since New Year's. Not only is sex pain free now, but I have had multi orgasms every time. I don't have to focus past the pain anymore so once he gets me going I can't stop!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register