Is it true about sex? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is it true about sex? Is it true about sex?

Unread 01-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Re: Is it true about sex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandspice View Post
It's definitely not the death of your sex life. But realistically it's good to prepare yourself for some differences. There are no guarantees with this surgery. I find sex post op to require patience. The big o is still there but not as big without the intense uterine contractions. The sex drive is the same once the pain from surgery diminishes.
sugarandspice,

I am so glad to read your post, was feeling 'out of place" since my big O's take longer, are less intense also. I am glad to be healthier, but I can already tell I am going to miss the uterine contractions and the intensity that brought to the experience. I think some women may not enjoy that sensation, as I did, which would explain the differences in responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2012, 06:42 PM

Thanks Twitch. I too, feel out of place sometimes. I cried hard after my fist few orgasms post op. They were very disappointing and my doctors did not prepare me for that.
Unread 01-12-2012, 06:56 PM

Good to hear from different people. This is definitely one of my concerns. I have read in 3 different sources that 1 out of 3 women will have trouble enjoying sex (arousal or orgasm problems) or lose their sex drive. I'm disabled and sex is one of the few physical things I can still do & really don't want to lose that. I don't have pain w/ sex & rarely bleed as I'm almost at menopause. My cervix is definitely part of my enjoyment & I will be losing it due to cancer concerns (I had complex hyperplasia w/ atypia). I can deal with different but not loss of libido. It would also negatively affect my relationship as that is a very important part for both of us. HRT is not a possibility, so I'm worried. It's one of the main reasons I didn't want to have a hysterectomy.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks Twitch. I too, feel out of place sometimes. I cried hard after my fist few orgasms post op. They were very disappointing and my doctors did not prepare me for that.
I find the doctors really only tell you vague platitudes that reflect the best outcomes. Most of them will not even address the issue of Cervical or uterine driven orgasms.
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:25 PM

I was told that the difference if any would be negligible. I had no problems with heavy bleeding or pain with sex. If I had, this wouldn't bother me as I'd just be glad it didn't hurt and happy to have the bleeding gone. But my sex life was good and I didn't want it to change. My female doctor was shocked when I told her of the huge difference.
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Is it true about sex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by about2loseit View Post
Good to hear from different people. This is definitely one of my concerns. I have read in 3 different sources that 1 out of 3 women will have trouble enjoying sex (arousal or orgasm problems) or lose their sex drive. I'm disabled and sex is one of the few physical things I can still do & really don't want to lose that. I don't have pain w/ sex & rarely bleed as I'm almost at menopause. My cervix is definitely part of my enjoyment & I will be losing it due to cancer concerns (I had complex hyperplasia w/ atypia). I can deal with different but not loss of libido. It would also negatively affect my relationship as that is a very important part for both of us. HRT is not a possibility, so I'm worried. It's one of the main reasons I didn't want to have a hysterectomy.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Try not to worry too much. You're having the surgery for medical reasons so its out of your hands. Keeping your body healthy is most important. No one can say how you will feel afterwards. We are all different and we all heal different. Just hope for the best and jump any hurdles if they present themselves later. That's all we can do. I have found it very beneficial to communicate well with my partner through all this. His support has made all the difference. I wish all my sisters safe surgeries, happy healing and lots of amazing love making post op!
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:37 PM

sugarandspice
Thanks for the reminder about why I'm having surgery. I fought it for so long, it's hard to reconcile finally doing something I didn't--and still don't-- want to do. I'm a real control freak, esp around medical stuff. I'll try to keep your words in mind as I wait.
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
. I have found it very beneficial to communicate well with my partner through all this.!
(just figured out how to do the quote thing ; ) )

We have been able to talk about my fears. She keeps reminding me that she used to work at Good Vibes. What I have trouble getting her to understand is that loss of libido is different: you can offer me different food, but that won't help if I'm not hungry.
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Is it true about sex?

Quote:
sugarandspice
Thanks for the reminder about why I'm having surgery. I fought it for so long, it's hard to reconcile finally doing something I didn't--and still don't-- want to do. I'm a real control freak, esp around medical stuff. I'll try to keep your words in mind as I wait.
I fought it too. I couldn't even think about making an appt to discuss it with the doctor without crying. I still can't believe I really went through with it. No one said it was easy being a woman! Yes, your health is the bottom line. Put your faith in your doctor and hope for the best. Odds are you will have a good outcome.
Unread 01-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Is it true about sex?

Quote:
(just figured out how to do the quote thing ; ) )

We have been able to talk about my fears. She keeps reminding me that she used to work at Good Vibes. What I have trouble getting her to understand is that loss of libido is different: you can offer me different food, but that won't help if I'm not hungry.
Are you having your ovaries removed? Ask her for patience and support as you go through this. It's a hard thing to do when you don't want to. Hopefully it will be easier for her to understand since she's a woman too :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register