Staying overnight or going home the same day? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Staying overnight or going home the same day? Staying overnight or going home the same day?

Unread 01-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Re: Staying overnight or going home the same day?

My nurses did do everything for me, in fact they kept telling me to stop and they would do it. I was so hot though and peeing so often they finally gave up on getting socks on me everytime I got out of bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2012, 10:43 AM

I stayed overnight, got to my room at 8pm, discharged around 10 the following morning. I'm so glad I did. Dr ordered a pain pump for me and had a catheter until early the next morning. I can't imagine trying to get up to use the bathroom right out of surgery! When I questioned at pre-op why my surgery said "outpatient" , they said anything 23 hours or less is considered outpatient.
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:05 AM

My experience was the same as Lilyflower77. However my insurance wouldnt allow me to stay more than 23 hours unless I was having post op issues. I don't know if that was the same for her or not. The hospital stay was ok but I was bothered every hour with something whether it was vitals changing my ice pitcher fixing my I V or checking catheter. So that part was miserable but it was nice to be there and know I was ok. And I enjoyed the time away from my kids bc I knew they would be all over me. When it was time to go I WAS READY!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2012, 11:35 AM

TLH was out of OR at 4:00 so I stayed overnight but sent home by 9 the next morning. All I can say is I am grateful that I was the last surgery of the day so I could sleep over. I didn't have any complications but I really wouldn't have been ready to go home right after I got out of recovery. Even my hubby was grateful that I was able to spend the night. We can't imagine the first 12 hours at home.
Unread 01-11-2012, 03:09 PM

Im having a TAH I have been told I need to stay in hospital for 3-5 days
Unread 01-11-2012, 04:49 PM

Some do go home the night of. the normal davinci pt is 23 hours, sometimes less, sometimes more. I am having the davinci on the 24th RALH. I plan on staying the night so I do not have to worry about anything. If we stay they will make sure we are okay, and in good standings before we go home. There is not that luxury at home.
Unread 01-11-2012, 04:50 PM

I got to the recovery room at 9:30 , to a room at 12:30 , and home by 9 PM . I had a SCH 1 scope site . I would have gone sooner but I am a lightweight with anesthesia , it took a long time for me to lose the hungover feeling . You may want to stay or not - you will know when the time comes what is best for you.
Unread 01-15-2012, 01:10 PM

I had laparoscopic uterus/ cervix removed. Surgery was at 8:00 AM. I was discharged at 3:00 Pm once I could urinate on my own. I was greatfull to sleep in my own bed and be around my family. The oral pain medicine was fine for relief. I also drank prune juice to prevent constipation.
Unread 01-15-2012, 02:26 PM

I have my TLH tomorrow @ 8am and am scheduled as out patient also however I have asked my Dr. about this twice just for clarification. What he told me is that unless it is a ab surgery (TAH) they are always scheduled as out patient some are ready to go home 12 to 16 hrs. after surg. others need to stay longer. So he told me that it all depends on how I feel coming out of anthesia and pain management etc. If your not okay they contact Insurance to cover you for the addit. stay. That's what he told me. I would not worry just do whats best for you and make sure the Hosp. Staff and your DR. LISTEN TO YOU! Take care and best Wishes!
Unread 01-15-2012, 09:13 PM

Just a reminder, a hospital bed gives you more help sitting up and getting back down... there are motor controls, and side rails that help big time. I learned the hard way after having 2 csections and asking to go home asap , that I should have just stayed. Every time like a dummy I begged to go home... and by the next day my incision sites were bruised from sitting up and down from my bed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register