Work Advice - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Re: Work Advice

I tried returning at 8 weeks and only managed half a day. Tummy and back ached and I went dizzy.
I spent the next day in tears feeling a failure.
I was given another 3 weeks by the Doc.
I have now had a meeting with the Head of the school I work in to work out a part-time return to work, afternoons only for a couple of weeks, before going back full time.

He did offer to buy me a more comfortable chair, because as these ladies here have said, the chair is what causes the squashing of the abdomen, and the aching belly
I have taken in a back support which attaches to the back of my chair, which I think has helped a bit.

He has also agreed to changes in way the school library works, so I do not have so many students at a time, especially the stroppy teenagers who don't want to use the facilities properly.

I have had 3 afternoons back now and it has been so good.
It has reminded me how much I love my job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2012, 08:43 AM

Kathy, I'm sorry to hear that your employer is so inflexible. That doesn't make your life easy. I hope that you are able to find some sort of balance between your health and your work life. Take care of yourself.
Unread 01-28-2012, 08:44 AM

Mrs- Now that's the way to return to work! You are blessed .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2012, 09:04 AM

at Carol Anne: Thank you. I am: I"m searching like mad for a new job-started looking pre-op actually. Fantasized all my recovery so far of never going back there. I'd take a job serving fast food at this point I think. They are just aweful, rude, back stabbing, unprofessional ladies mostly and all of us there are so miserable if we are not one of those types.
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:09 AM

Kathy it sounds like we work for the same people!

I had been half-heartedly looking before surgery, and used a lot of my recovery time to scour employment listings, get my resume put together, and get on some social networking sites. It is not easy because electronic resources stink as far as connecting us with real opportunities.

But all this groundwork helped me feel productive (and it was great to do it while avoiding the daily workplace nonsense!) One big plus is that the more in-control we feel of our job search, the less we are distracted by the current, "temporary" work situation.

If I can get my resume to the right level (I need one version for interactive team jobs and a different one for the autonomous administrative jobs) I hope to get out there before the end of this month.

I've got my makeup/hair issues under control and think I can pull off one or two interview outfits.

The big issue, of course is that I don't want to sabotage a great opportunity if I connect with it before my health is where I want it to be. Has anyone done job interviews - or started a new job - less than six months after their surgery?
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:35 AM

The timer is a good idea. I'll have to take one when I go back to work.
Unread 01-28-2012, 12:47 PM

I've had to work in a couple of different poisoned work environments in the past. Your health issues will dramatically improve when you are out of there. Good luck with your job searches, ladies.
Unread 01-28-2012, 01:16 PM

I returned to work 10 days post op. 33 hours 1st week back and 40 hours since. I do have a desk job but I am far from sitting all day. In fact sitting all day was bad- I bought a little pillow for my chair and took my motrin when I needed it.I also keep my feet up under my desk.. I think that is a great help. I Drank alot of water w/ emergen-C!! Exhausted on the drive home- but been doing well for what I have been through. As of today I am just shy of 6 weeks post op.
Unread 01-28-2012, 02:12 PM

This forum sure makes you realize how individual we all are but I am totally thinking I am not going to be ready at 6 weeks. My goal is to be doing the "rest" of my life such as home and family very well before heading back to work because they are going to slide again I am sure from exhaustion once back to work. I liked what someone said that you and your family deserve some good time together before work takes that from you...hopefully I can make it all work..what I say and what actually happens are 2 different things. The worst part of that is feeling like you are disappointing everybody!
Unread 01-28-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endodaisy View Post
This forum sure makes you realize how individual we all are but I am totally thinking I am not going to be ready at 6 weeks. My goal is to be doing the "rest" of my life such as home and family very well before heading back to work because they are going to slide again I am sure from exhaustion once back to work. I liked what someone said that you and your family deserve some good time together before work takes that from you...hopefully I can make it all work..what I say and what actually happens are 2 different things. The worst part of that is feeling like you are disappointing everybody!
I certainly understand the feeling of disappointing everyone. As women, we have come to expect that everyone else's needs are more important than ours. Please, give yourself permission to put yourself on the top of your priority list. Even if it makes you feel guilty at first, just do it, and remind yourself that, until you are healthy yourself, you won't be able to give fully to the other people and things that are also on your list.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register