anyone having trouble focusing or attention span? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone having trouble focusing or attention span? anyone having trouble focusing or attention span?

Unread 01-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Re: anyone having trouble focusing or attention span?

It was worse for me earlier in my recovery, but it's improving now. I'd set aside books, magazines, DVDs, for when I got home from the castle, and couldn't focus on any of 'em. Oh well, I'm reading and watching them now, and enjoying them. I take good vitamins, and rest when I'm tired, which helps me.

Before surgery I wasn't a coffee drinker, loved the smell but the coffee gave me headaches and stomach upset. Now, a nice rich cup of coffee in the morning gets my gears turning and helps me feel awake and alert, lifts the morning brain-fog, and sets well in the tum. Go figure, but thank goodness for it.

My husband's a little older than I am, so he and I laugh together about our collective forgetfulness. Between the two of us we have a few brain cells to rub together, and we muddle on. We choose to see each day as an adventure and a new set of challenges, and try to not sweat the small stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2012, 09:39 AM

Ah, gnomelady,

I wish I could just muddle on - problem is I really need to focus on work, which can be hard on a good day as I work from home. Scattered thoughts and lack of focus is bad for business and doesn't get the bills paid. <heavy sigh> Speaking of work ....... Gotta Go!
Unread 01-11-2012, 09:59 AM

Yah, I know, truly. My dh had a small stroke a few years ago, rebooting the brain can be hard, and it's frustrating when we don't function as we did before the health event or surgery. I wasn't being dismissive, honestly, I understand the frustration. My observation about myself has been that fear and fatigue are my worst enemies, fear clouds even an uncompromised brain, and fatigue wears it down physically as well as emotionally. Unfortunately, for people like us, recovering from surgery and the illnesses that led to the need for it, can be both exhausting and scary!

Something doctors don't seem to talk about is the "brain fog" effect of illness, and the many things that can cause it. That's when it's good to have honest conversations with other people in a similar situation, it's reassuring to know we aren't alone, and that things can improve. I personally find it reassuring that compromises are not only possible but effective at allowing me to move on with my ever-changing challenges and that there are also successes and rewards to be found in the new and the different. Good luck and best wishes to all of us, eh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2012, 01:07 PM

Normally, I love reading, and thought I would be able to spend my post-op recovery doing just that. However, I managed 1 book in the whole 6 weeks. I could barely manage a magazine. Finally, I think I am back to being able to focus at 11 weeks, but I still feel as though I have become ADHD!
Unread 01-11-2012, 02:45 PM

Ok... that and being tired I'm thinking... I can't wait to get my life back.
Unread 01-11-2012, 03:03 PM

I am having the same issues. Have been an avid reader my entire life and the dozen novels planned for recovery are sitting untouched and unwanted in my nightstand. Yesterday I forgot I left a pan of sauce on the stove with the gas burner on!!! I feel scattered, forgetful and the past few nights have not been able to even feel sleepy until the sun is rising, despite taking strong pain meds!

These are all signs of progesterone and estrogen depletion. If you are like me and had both ovaries removed, you are in surgical menopause. If you kept one or both ovaries, they may have shut down temporarily. No matter what, we do not have to suffer!

Regardless of age, bioidentical hormone replacement therapy can be a godsend to not only alleviate symptoms but restore our hormonal health to that of prime age around 25-30 years old! I don't know about you but at age 45 that pretty much thrills me to imagine!

I got an estrogen shot in the hospital immediately following surgery (supposed to carry me through first 2 weeks), but no progesterone since most doctors don't feel it necessaary for a woman without a uterus. They are WRONG! I encourage you all to read Suzanne Somer's FABULOUS book, "Ageless: The Naked Truth About Bioidential Hormones" and also great is Dr. John Lee's, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause". Check out Suzanne's 7 Dwarfs of Menopause!

http://www.minniepauz.com/Seven-Dwar...Menopause.html

My dh is heading out this afternoon to fill my script for bioidentical estrogen at a compounding pharmacy. My doc gave me the rx and said we will tweak it as needed and to be sure to let him know if my libido and energy are low because he will add a bit of testosterone to combat that. He also recommended bioidentical progesterone cream (NOT the same as phytoestrogens, be careful as these won't work the same in your body). I just applied my first dose of Emerita's Prog-Gest Cream, treated myself to the single-dose packets at a great price on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Emerita-Pro-Ge...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

We are all on this ride together and no reason for any of us to suffer!
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:08 PM

I am glad to know I am not the only one with focusing issues. I am the HR Manager with no assistant I really named to do some work from home but I found it virtually impossible to focus or concentrate for more than an hour. Thankfully I go back to work full time on Monday.
Unread 01-12-2012, 10:07 AM

Yes! Earlier on, I had the problem with not being able to focus while reading as well, but that's gone away thankfully. I'm about 10 weeks out now, but I still lose my train of thought--sometimes in the middle of a sentence! Foggy brain is a *really* inconvenient symptom to have when you work in academia.
Unread 01-12-2012, 10:48 AM

Hi all,
Please know I by no means take lightly what is happening with your focus and inability to pay attention issues--I know how frustrating those problems can be.
You see, I do have ADD and this is what my brain feels like everyday. Forgetting to turn off the water, not remembering dinner is cooking, trying to make the husband's coffee-knowing he will check it later to make sure I added the right amount of coffee AND water and didn't turn the thing on or some other such crazy thing, knowing my grown kids still tell the story of how the smoke alarm was the dinner bell...I am kind of hoping that the recent hysterectomy could produce miracles and leave me able to focus and concentrate--anything is possible, right? Although the sudden ability to focus and concentrate could leave me in a quandry not knowing which unfinished project to finish first....
I do sincerely hope your time here in the land of ADD is very short-lived, as I truly would not wish anyone to have to live with this for long....as for me, since I have never been "normal", I am not sure I would know how to cope if I finished a book, a crochet project, remembered to go to the bathroom the first time I had the urge, remember to take the half written grocery list to the store and come home with some of the goods on it, know my children's names (all 2 of them), or even the husband's name (thankfully he is a saint, even after 30 years, says he still loves me and doesn't take it personally when I forget his name)....it could be so much worse.
As long as there is life, there is hope!
Peace to all
Unread 01-20-2012, 03:27 PM

I have problems focusing too. I have found that when I take vitamin B complex, I can focus and my mind is clear. However, it seems to keep me up at night. Every morning that I have taken it, I have stayed awake those nights. I might have gotten 3 hours of sleep each night. I have to be alert and focused. I am a elementary school teacher and I just went back to work this week. On the morning that I didn't take it, I had a hard time remembering things and focusing. However, I slept good that night. I am 8 1/2 weeks post surgery now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register