SAH Need help dealing with a doctor who doesn't believe me | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need help dealing with a doctor who doesn't believe me Need help dealing with a doctor who doesn't believe me

Unread 01-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Need help dealing with a doctor who doesn't believe me

On December 12th, I went in for the da Vinci and ended up being cut open and only removed my uterus and cervix; however, on Dec. 20th my staples were removed causing the entire incision to open up. Right after the staples were removed, I was given a script along with being told this would be the last one since I shouldn't be in any more pain. First, when I was in the ER, my doctor comes in and says oh these things happen with any woman who is even a little overweight and writes me a referral to Wound Care and a script for litocain jelly. After going to Wound Care a few days, the nurse shows me the pictures of the wound and points out infection along with sloughing where the incision had oozed fluids and informed that this doctor sends a lot of patients to them after having to be cut open. At wound care, I was asked if I'd been given any type of antibiotic before it opening and told that the infection could have been avoided. So, obviously, this did not happen to me due to my weight!

4 weeks post surgery (3 weeks post opening up) Today, I go in for yet another script for half what I normally take in 5 days and was told to make this one last a week since I'm obviously addicted and need to be weaned. I asked to be referred to a pain doctor or another doctor that can understand being gutted like a fish. My incision yesterday measured at just over 11 inches long and 3 inches deep with 2 deep tunnels kinda like swiss cheese. What doctor in their right mind wouldn't see something like this and understand that the patient is in pain?!? When I got to wound care, I was told that this doctor has refused patients to keep going to them when they start cutting their pain pills. There's no way that I can clean this and pack it myself nor my husband. I don't know what else to do or who to call, but I'm seriously considering looking for an attorney who can take this case, especially since this doctor hasn't allowed me to get the uterus pathology report yet. That alone makes it look suspicious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Re: Need help dealing with a doctor who doesn't believe me

I am sitting here SHOCKED ... my mouth was actually in 'jaw-dropping' mode while I read your post. You poor girl!!!! NO ONE should go through what you just described! Are there any other doctors you can see? Can your GP step in and advocate for you? If this doctor has a reputation for this behaviour, may be best to seek legal advice. But more importantly, I wish you all the best in obtaining a doctor who cares.

I am a little overweight and asked my GYN pre op if it was true that extra weight is an issue. He indicated that infections are a bit more likely (maybe due to bacteria in fat cells - I don't know). He said we would watch things carefully and as long as I maintained my comittment to my recovery and not lift/move etc as indicated in recovery information package that he provided, I would probably be ok and I was.

I had a full incision horizontally accross my tummy and all healed well with disolvable stitches. Your incision sounds like poor 'workmanship' from your GYN.

In the meantime, have you tried the Advil/Tylenol combo? While I was in the hospital they switched me to 800mg of Advil and 1000mg of Tylenol as a 'better option' ... as long as I kept a routine of taking the meds every 4 hours I could do without the narcotics. If you do run out ... might be a solution.

WOW! I am still taken aback by this! Praying for you!
Big hugs
Unread 01-10-2012, 11:57 PM

I'm with Janine - completely shocked! There is absolutely no excuse for what you are going through.

There should be a process for filing a formal complaint with the Department of Health. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! Make notes of conversations you have had with the wound care staff about this guy and see if any of them would be willing to provide a signed statement. Who knows, there may already be pending complaints against him. The more the merrier, I say. This guy needs a major wake-up call. He obviously has no compassion for his patients.

I would also not pay his bill and send him a counter bill for all your follow up care that should not have been necessary.

In the mean time, find another doctor to help you through the healing process. Unfortunately, the time for you to heal right was the first time, but your doctor took that option from you. Now you have to heal from the inside out, which takes much longer, and you should be closely monitored while you heal to prevent serious infection or worse.

I'm a big girl and this wasn't an issue for me. My doctor did a combination of sutures and staples. As she explained it, the intermittent staples allow for reopening a small area if necessary for whatever reason. The staples came out at one week and were replaced with steri-strips, which came off the following week at my 2 week checkup. The stitches stayed in and dissolved in their own good time. I healed without a hitch.

I feel for you and will be sending healing thought your way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2012, 01:17 AM

Thanks for the prayers and healing thoughts. Ironically, my doctor is a woman. I keep telling myself that I should have known to go elsewhere when they made my appointments and other hysterectomy patients appointments mixed with women who are obviously pregnant or just had a baby. It felt like torture especially since these doctors knew that I'd wanted more children. I have started going back to document everything and had started keeping the pill bottles a couple of weeks back when the nurse first suggested to my husband when he came to pick them up that I needed to start backing off of them. I know a few of her patients who had c-sections that were given 30 pills 5 mg oxicodone and that was it. So, her lack of pain management is well known in this area. I guess unfortunately for me and her patients I've been told that she's never had any health problems with all of her 5 children being born easily. If I have any more female problems (still have my ovaries and phallopian tubes), the first question I'll ask of the ob/gyn is if they've ever experienced problems themselves.

I'm going to try to get one of the ladies who does clean my wound out to talk to an ob/gyn down the hall from her since I've heard over and over that another doctor probably won't touch me until it's all healed. I'm also going to call the ob/gyn's office that delivered my daughter for my records from them. After my daughter was born, I ended up back in the hospital with pre-eclampsia a week later and back in the doctor's office 2 weeks after that due to high bp. My doctor first asked if I was following the directions on my pain pills which stated 1 every 4 - 6 hours depending on pain. I told him that I was taking them when I started to feel more pain and never let it get over a 4. He told me that I obviously wasn't feeling it but my body was causing my bp to sky rocket. I'm hoping this was put into my records with them. Also, trying to think of other doctors/dentist who have told me the same or close to it that might have put it into the records. I've rarely ever taken all of the pain pills that I've ever been prescribed and either turned them back into the doctor or flushed them. Even turned some into this doctor that didn't work for me as well as these and caused some breathing problems. You'd think that if I was just wanting the pain gone that I would have kept them and not worried about my breathing.

I'm hoping that either she refers me to another doctor who will willingly jump on this or I can find someone who will not require me to be in unbelievable pain, and I don't ever have to walk into that place again. I've never taken anyone to court and just written off when someone has owed me money in the past as a learning experience; however, this time to be treated like a drug addict is beyond fathoming.
Unread 01-11-2012, 06:54 AM

I would like to start with saying I'm soo sorry you are going through this. If our poor bodies aren't going through enough...
Now my doctor hasn't been to great through all this but compared he's wonderful. I'm 4 weeks post op today and I'm still on super strong pain meds. I have been able to cut back on them but still have a lot of pain, so I need some. I have a very high tolerance for meds so I have to take meds that wouldn't be normal for most.
This doctor sounds like every patients nightmare! I would deff make a report and see what you can do about it. I would deff try and find a new doc and explain to them that this doctor isn't helping you at all. I feel they should understand.
I myself and am overweight and my doctor never mentioned it. I do know I'm sure it hurt me more when first walking and what no since I have a big belly. But I found the belly binder helped a lot with that.
Again I am soo sorry you're going through so much. Many hugs and god bless!
Unread 01-11-2012, 09:21 AM

Ah Ha! I had a female doctor. I always thought they would be more sympathetic and 'in tune' with my problems, but I had one who blew me off and the doctor who eventually took me seriously was a male. Go figure.

BUT - my male OB/GYN was so pushy about having a hysterectomy without even offering alternatives I ended up asking my PCP for a referral and my new GYN is a woman She's Fantastic! Plus, she doesn't do obstetrics, so no pregnant patients.

Do you have a PCP you can go to to help you with wound care and getting you through the pain? Would your PCP advocate for you with a different GYN? You really need options for alternative care at this point - the stress of returning to your surgeon's office for so called "care" can't be good for your bp either.

Wishing you all the best.
Unread 01-11-2012, 09:40 AM

I hope you can find a new dr. to help you get well. I'm so sorry you are going through this.

Some drs. just shouldn't be drs.
Unread 01-11-2012, 10:01 AM

I too am sorry you are going through this. I've had similar issues with pain management and the problem I've found is that lower tabs don't work for me. My doctor gave me percocet which was great and 800 mg ibuprophen. You definantly need a new doctor who can help you. Is there not a doctor that the wound place can reccommend that would see you. I know they won't want to help if you mention anything about law suits. Other doctors don't want to get involved with that at any cost. My GP advocated for me when I was in pain not from this surgery but spine surgery when the <oops! please don't override the website censor> who did my surgery wouldn't help control my pain. They can be helpful if they know you well.
I will pray for you! It's all I can do from here in Kansas!
Stephanie
Unread 01-11-2012, 01:35 PM

We use a clinic for gp due to it being open late and on weekends. I went there while trying to get a diagnosis on the very bad cramps and heavy flow, and the doctor there told me to take tylenol and hydrocodone 5 mg which make me super naseous. Went back to tell the doctor that and was told that they do not prescribe anything else.

I was referred to an internal medicine doctor a while back and have an appointment with her, called to talk to the nurse to see if this doctor could/would be willing to do this, and waiting for the call back, now. Otherwise I go GP shopping on the phone.
Unread 01-11-2012, 02:54 PM

Have you been released by the DR who did your surgery yet? If not, it's highly unlikely that you'll find another DR who will take you on until you are released. It is your surgeon's responsibility to make sure you make it to the point where you can be released to resume your normal activities, and it doesn't sound like you are anywhere close to that yet.

You might try asking your DR for some type of strong anti-inflammatory medication rather than narcotics. It's true that DRs prefer their patients to be off of narcotics by a couple of weeks post op - narcotics have a lot of side effects, including slowing down of GI function, which are not conducive to healing and returning to normal activities in the bigger picture. (I had a colectomy a year after my hysterectomy and was off the narcotic pain meds before one week post op despite having a 12 inch incision; I took anti-inflammatory meds only and they were a big help with treating the cause of the pain, vs. narcotics which only trick the brain into thinking there is less pain.)

By the way, I want to remind everyone that our website TOS prohibit discussions about suing DRs and hospitals, etc.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register