Should I go on holiday? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I go on holiday? Should I go on holiday?

Unread 01-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Should I go on holiday?

Note: Adoption mentioned

Hi ladies. Today has been an emotionally draining day for me. My husband and I take a trip each February to the caribbean as a business/holiday trip (he works/vacays and I vacay). We booked our hotel and tickets and everything in August, long before I knew I would have to have my TAH.

I've been on short term disability and working about 16 hours from home last week and this week, as that is all I am allowed to work while on short term disability. Honestly, I didn't want to work anymore than that last week, as 16 hours was more than enough.

This week, I am able to sit in a different chair in the house, as I can now maneuver myself out of it alone, so I feel like I could work more hours; that is physically speaking. I'm asking my doctor to write out a release for me to work from home for the next two weeks, and my job is fine with letting me work however much I feel up too; essentially part time.

Aside from the complexity that I have been on short term disability for 4 weeks, my husband and I are also waiting to be picked by a birth mother for adoption. That will mean more time off with baby, if we get picked in the next 10 months.

I've asked my job for the time off for holiday, even though I haven't accrued the vacation time, but I don't know if I am going to be up to travel to the caribbean in another 4 weeks. There's going to be packing, walking through the airport, wearing travel clothes, wearing a bikini with swelly belly, etc. I don't even know if I'll be able to tolerate having my bikini bottoms rub along my incision line at that point... I haven't worn panties since my surgery 4 weeks ago and have lived in very baggy, high rise sweat pants the last four weeks. Plus, I feel like I'm going to be adding an extra burden on my husband because he will have to carry and handle all of the luggage, deal with my anticipated slowness and probable fatigue.

I just don't know. I don't want my job to get the wrong impression (i.e. she was just out of the office for 6 weeks recovering from surgery and now 2 weeks later she is taking a week off for holiday?), and I don't know if I'll be up to it physically. We could cancel by this Friday and save quite a bit of money, or we could cancel later than this Friday and be out a couple hundred bucks. Any sisters here feel like they were up for travel at 8 weeks after TAH? I'm nervous.... As much as I'd want to go, I just don't know if I'll be up to it.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Re: Should I go on holiday?

It sounds like you've already decided for yourself that you don't feel up to going, not truly. I would cancel before Friday and save the money.

It sounds like it will be an eventful year anyway, and I think both you and hubby would enjoy the holiday more when you are feeling up to it. I hope that you and hubby are chosen soon by a birth mother

Take care!
Unread 01-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Re: Should I go on holiday?

I had my surgery 2 days after you. We usually travel in February - cruise or resort. I am not sure about this year though. If I have any problems then there would be an issue with out of country health insurance as I would have a pre existing condition. I also worry about how good the beds will be, how good the chairs would be... could I even go in pools/hot tubs/ocean with internal healing still going on. Probably not. We have been in situations where flights are cancelled or delayed and hours spent in airports.... my repairs will taken time to heal and sitting can be tender. We might just travel within Canada/US by car - short trips. Perhaps March would be a better goal for me.... I understand your worry, good luck with your decision..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register