LAVH Hysterectomy and alcohol | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy and alcohol Hysterectomy and alcohol

Unread 01-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Hysterectomy and alcohol

Hello Ladies,

I am 6 days post op (uterus and cervix) and will b planning a bday party for a family member soon. I was wondering if anyone has any idea when it would b safe to consume an alcoholic beverage post surgery. I haven't been able to find any info on the subject and really don't know if there are any contra-indications to the anesthesia and alcohol. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Re: Hysterectomy and alcohol

Hope you get answers-I have no idea, but have been too afraid and I'll be 4 weeks tomorrow. I've been getting bad daily headaches, so I'm afraid that will make it worse. Of course, no pain meds I'm going to guess you could probably have one drink and be fine, but I am not in any position to answer you-hope you can and have a great time!
Unread 01-12-2012, 11:45 AM

No alcohol while you are on narcotic pain medications and/or antibiotics, so it will depend on what your DR has you on. In addition, if you are on HRT, you will find that if/when you drink alcohol, you will have hot flashes and swollen feet/ankles as well as 'feeling' the alcohol's effects more; this is because both alcohol and estrogen need to be metabolized in the liver, and both at one time means each one gets broken down more slowly so levels are higher in your blood for a while.

So... wait until you are off the meds, and take it very slowly and cautiously.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Thank you Linda and Kathy! That Is really good advice, that is very helpful and I will remember to take it really easy! :-)

Veronica
Unread 01-12-2012, 09:45 PM

Personally, I had a few glasses of wine 8 days post op and was fine! I will say I had taken a total of 2 narcotics (first two nights home to help sleep) and had been off antibiotics for 5 days. The only thing I can say is I did get loopy a little faster it seemed... but hadn't had a drink in a while It was first time out of the house after surgery and my honey took me for dinner and drinks. It was fun! But I was totally lazy the next day. Lol
Unread 01-13-2012, 05:10 AM
Hysterectomy and alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL* View Post
Personally, I had a few glasses of wine 8 days post op and was fine! I will say I had taken a total of 2 narcotics (first two nights home to help sleep) and had been off antibiotics for 5 days. The only thing I can say is I did get loopy a little faster it seemed... but hadn't had a drink in a while It was first time out of the house after surgery and my honey took me for dinner and drinks. It was fun! But I was totally lazy the next day. Lol
Hi TL,

Thank u for the response. After 8 days at home I bet that was so nice getting out for dinner and drinks! What a great guy to make that your first outing. Sounds like fun! I'm on day 7 now and haven't been out of my apt yet and I'm getting a lil stir crazy lol. But I'm still on pain meds and antibiotics so it will still b awhile before I can partake, Just figured planning a bday party gives me something to look forward to :-) Thank you for your feedback and I'm glad you had a nice evening out! I'm always very lazy the day after having even a few drinks of anykind lol. Hope your recovery is going well! Thanks again

Veronica
Unread 01-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Hysterectomy and alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchambers09 View Post
Hello Ladies,

I am 6 days post op (uterus and cervix) and will b planning a bday party for a family member soon. I was wondering if anyone has any idea when it would b safe to consume an alcoholic beverage post surgery. I haven't been able to find any info on the subject and really don't know if there are any contra-indications to the anesthesia and alcohol. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Hi!! I had an LAVH on dec 14th. The day after my surgery I asked my doctor about alcohol he said it would be fine to drink socially. I was asking because of new year's eve. You might want to make sure you're off pain meds though
Unread 01-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Hysterectomy and alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by empoweredwoman View Post
Hi!! I had an LAVH on dec 14th. The day after my surgery I asked my doctor about alcohol he said it would be fine to drink socially. I was asking because of new year's eve. You might want to make sure you're off pain meds though

Thank you empowered for replying. That is good to know! I hope you enjoyed your New Years, and also hope your recovery us going well!

Veronica

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register