Fibroids with pressure but no pain - what to do | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids with pressure but no pain - what to do Fibroids with pressure but no pain - what to do

Unread 12-30-2001, 11:47 AM
Fibroids with pressure but no pain - what to do

A question for women who’ve had a hyst. for fibroids: Did anyone choose the hyst. for fibroids that were not causing much pain or excessive bleeding, but that were taking up too much space and creating feelings of pressure, bloating, etc.? In other words, is it crazy to decide to have a hysterectomy for things that are uncomfortable but don’t actually hurt?

I’m having a laparoscopy Jan. 9 to remove a mass (probably another fibroid) that’s floating around at belly-button level. In the event that they can’t do it with the laparoscope and have to open up my abdomen, they will do a partial hyst. while they’re in there. So I’ve had to prepare myself for a hyst. in case that’s what happens. I’m tempted to change course (I think I still have the option) and tell them to not bother with the lap. but just open me up and take out the mass and my fourteen-week sized uterus and get it all over with.

Part of me says: “These fibroids are not an emergency, and if they don’t have to open me up anyway, I should hang onto my uterus and look for non-surgical ways of shrinking them or whatever. Don’t be part of those ‘unnecessary hysterectomy statistics.’” The other part of me says: “I really want this whole episode to be over. I’ve only been dealing with it for a month, but it feels like an eternity. I don’t feel like getting second opinions and researching options. I don’t want this production to take up too much more of my life.” So I guess I’m hoping to hear that it’s not really weird to allow major surgery when you’re not suffering.

I hope that made sense…

Suzanne in Brooklyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2001, 12:03 PM

Hi Suzanne,
I found out about my fibroids during my exam in Oct. I changed DR's and my new DR ordered blood work. My anemia level was so low that she stated I was bleeding from somewhere. She also said that my abdomen felt lumpy. An ultrasound showed alot of small fibroids and one gigantic one on my right ovary. I had no pain. I stayed bloated all of the time but I thought it was because I eat a diet high in fiber and lots of veggies. My uterus was three times it's normal size. I was also gaining weight that I couldn't understand. I ended up having a TAH. Had I not changed DR's, there's no telling how long I would have walked around with the fibroids (my previous DR was a zero). The decision is yours. I wish you all the best.

Cynthia
Unread 12-30-2001, 12:55 PM
fibrids without pain

I had a TAH on Dec. 12 ( also took my ovaries) I had not experienced any pain or heavy flow - but tummy kept getting bigger, no matter how much weight I lost, felt bloated ( now that is is over didn't realize how bloated I was feeling) and having difficulty urinating. Had one time I bloated up like a 9 month pregnancy because I couldn't urinate for hours - scared my husband and thus the DR appointment. I had a hudge fibroid larger than a cantaloupe weighing over 5 lbs. My doctor said if it had gotten any bigger I wouldn't have been able to urinate or have bowel movements - it was fast taking over all the room I had. Must say I personally I'm glad to have had it done ( have recovered very rapidly and did not have much pain).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2001, 01:02 PM
fibrids without pain

P.S. to reply
I like you wondered if I was wise when I didn't have any pain to submit my self to major surgery, but I must say that I feel so much better - we don't realize what we just "put up with" and kind of forget what feeling really well is like - I am less than 3 weeks post surgery and feel so much better because my bladder and bowels are working the way they should. May sound silly but can even notice a difference in my skin and hair - My amatuer thoughts are that my body is able to get rid of wastes it hadn't been able to do completly for months.
Good luck
Unread 12-30-2001, 01:50 PM
Thanks elk5!

Thanks so much for your reply. I understand the not knowing how bloated you were feeling. My fibroids aren't quite that big; I think I have an orange-sized and a walnut-sized (plus maybe a plum-sized thing wandering my abdomen). But I think I'm probably having a lot of symptoms I've just "gotten used to," including the bladder and bowel stuff you mentioned. But what you said is really helpful. Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

Suzanne in Brooklyn
Unread 12-30-2001, 02:11 PM

Sbp-
I recently had a similar dilemma. My first diagnosis, of uterine fibroids, was "in effect" for the last 3 years or so. I tried BC pills, and the ever popular "watchful waiting". I have had little pain,more discomfort, really. 2 years ago, my periods got even worse, and ultrasound revealed only a small fibroid. More waiting, then more bleeding than ever. I was encouraged by a GYN to have a hyst as I was 41 with 2 kids and no plans for more.
I was very resistant, for the same reasons as you are. I was sure there must be some middle ground, AND THERE IS!!!
A procedure called a UFE -Uterine Fibroid Embolization- is available.
It is a relatively new procedure, done by an interventional radiologist. It involves injecting a blocking agent into the uterus by way of the femoral artery,thereby shutting off the blood supply to the fibroids. I found out about it on the net, after deciding to seek out more options.
Prior to the procedure, an MRI is required. This is the point that my radiologist found out that adenomyosis is most likely the chief cause of my problems,hence my interest in Hystersisters.
I was not a candidate for the UFE,but you may be, so keep trying.
I am awaiting a feb. 02 surg. date, and thanks to Hystersisters, I am confident that my doctor and I have made the decision that is right for me.
Best of luck, and let me know if you need help finding UFE info.

Sweetiedarling
Unread 12-30-2001, 02:33 PM

I had fibroids that were not found until after my hyst. They were intramural fibroids, buried deep within the muscle of the uterus. I was bleeding heavily, but can't really say I had lots of pain in the months before my hyst.

Having a hysterectomy is a very personal thing. I'm sure there are doctors out there who suggest a hyst that isn't needed, but I would like to think the majority don't like to take out healthy organs. You owe it to yourself to discuss this thouroughly with your doc. My thought is that it's nice to have a peace about having any major surgery before having it. Sometimes getting that peace means researching and getting answers or it may mean discussing it with your doc and trusting his judgement, etc. No two women come to this decision the same way. It's not a decision to be taken lightly. This is major surgery.

I think you will KNOW what the RIGHT thing is for YOU. If you are questioning your judgement ask some questions. If you are questioning your doc's judgement get a second opinion.

Sending s your way!

Sherry
Unread 12-30-2001, 02:49 PM
Surgery

Hi spb

My surgery was for fibroids, enlarged uterus (bigger than a football) and constant pain. I put up with on/off pain for 4 years before getting it investigated. Even though you may not have pain at present it may not be too long before you do. Fibroids can grow very quickly.

You are lucky you have only been dealing with it for a month. My doctor was excellent at explaining all the details to me. I also had trouble with back pain, numb left leg, bladder and bowels due to the multiple fibroids (I thought this was all my imagination). It turned out the fibroids were responsible for most of my troubles.

In the end, I agreed with doctor - open me up and take out whatever is no good. I knew prior to surgery what I was loosing. The right ovary was checked so it stayed in place.

I am now 19 days post op and it has all been good. I am so pleased with what I have gained. I am no longer ruled by there having to be a toilet close by in case I flood. Great stuff!

Whatever you decide to do - you have to be comfortable with the decision.

Regards and best wishes for you.
Unread 12-30-2001, 05:56 PM

Hi spb,
When I read your post you said another fibroid. Does this mean you have had others and had them removed? Do all the research you can. Ask the Doctor about all the options that are available to you. I had 3 months to do my research and I did. I even asked the ladies on here about different medications. If your fibroids aren't causing you any problems then you have time to decide. They do grow rapid sometimes though so keep an eye on them. The largest one they took out of me had more than doubled its size from September to December. I wish you the best of luck and a Happy New Year.
God Bless,
Sue
Unread 12-30-2001, 07:00 PM

Your situation sounds much like mine. I have an enlarged uterus (20 weeks pregnancy size), numerous fibroids inside the uterus and outside, with one monster about the size of a naval orange. I also have a cyst on my ovary. With all this, and I do not have significant pain. However, I do feel some pressure, especially bad if someone (like my grandchildren) accidentally kicks or pushes too hard in that area. I have decided to have the hyst., because I know I will probably have problems "down the road". The fibroids will continue to grow (approximately 1 cm. a year). So I figure why wait until I'm hurting. I would rather have all of that mass out of there and go through recovery before I really get down. Who knows when menopause will kick in, so why wait for that? Good luck to you! My thoughts are with you .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register