First BM 6 days after surgery experience and tips! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First BM 6 days after surgery experience and tips! First BM 6 days after surgery experience and tips!

Unread 01-12-2012, 04:01 PM
First BM 6 days after surgery experience and tips!

After 6 days post op I finally gave birth to the most painful poo in the whole world! I literally felt as though I was giving birth to a small child. I wasnt sure if i should wrap it up in a blanky or flush the sucker! Lol! I hope my sick humor makes you giggle just a little, after all laughter is the best medicine! Breathe through it just like birth and that helps a little. I also read to try and keep my mind off the pain. This is my third surgery and the bm's don't get any easier, you just find ways to get through it better. No amount of stool softener, OJ, or vegetables helped me. Just know that you are not alone and that it will soon pass. As for the catheter, that will get better too. It's completely normal for your urine to not pass as easy, but it will. Don't panic and don't stress. I know it's easier said than done, but find comfort in knowing that you are not alone!! I know this may be a little too much TMI, but something that does help is slathering your bum with Vaseline before you have a movement. Good luck with your recovery! 💐
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Re: First BM 6 days after surgery experience and tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksm2176 View Post
After 6 days post op I finally gave birth to the most painful poo in the whole world! I literally felt as though I was giving birth to a small child. I wasnt sure if i should wrap it up in a blanky or flush the sucker! Lol! I hope my sick humor makes you giggle just a little, after all laughter is the best medicine! Breathe through it just like birth and that helps a little. I also read to try and keep my mind off the pain. This is my third surgery and the bm's don't get any easier, you just find ways to get through it better. No amount of stool softener, OJ, or vegetables helped me. Just know that you are not alone and that it will soon pass. As for the catheter, that will get better too. It's completely normal for your urine to not pass as easy, but it will. Don't panic and don't stress. I know it's easier said than done, but find comfort in knowing that you are not alone!! I know this may be a little too much TMI, but something that does help is slathering your bum with Vaseline before you have a movement. Good luck with your recovery! ��
Had to hold my stomach on that one. Especially, if you wasn't sure to wrap it or flush the sucker. That made my day. I totally feel you on that. I am 15+ days post op, I too, had my first bm at 6 days. I think I must have sat on the toilet for I know a hour. That next day, the back of my thighs felt like I was working out. It was hard for to sit down. So now I'm taking colace at least twice a week because I'm still on iron medicine. Continue to rest and know we are here.
Unread 01-12-2012, 05:35 PM

I refer to my first as "the event"......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2012, 05:41 PM

You made me snort out my ginger ale! Thanks for the laugh, now that I am far enough past the surgery to not be afraid of a chuckle.

I thought I'd mastered the fiber issue during my first couple of weeks, but one day halfway through week 4, I woke at 3am with a wicked need to go, but no luck all day. Not even much gas. Just felt more and more like I was ready to pop...

Discovered that magnesium helps the whole digestive process... oh, and the caffeine that I mainline all day tends to leech magnesium out of the system before it can do its work. I cut down on caffeine, take magnesium supplements, and if 48 hours go by without a bm, I take a half dose of Milk of Magnesia. That seems to help.

Trying real hard to avoid actual constipation because I am not in the mood to be swaddling anything from 'down there' either!!!!
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix 2012 View Post
You made me snort out my ginger ale! Thanks for the laugh, now that I am far enough past the surgery to not be afraid of a chuckle.

I thought I'd mastered the fiber issue during my first couple of weeks, but one day halfway through week 4, I woke at 3am with a wicked need to go, but no luck all day. Not even much gas. Just felt more and more like I was ready to pop...

Discovered that magnesium helps the whole digestive process... oh, and the caffeine that I mainline all day tends to leech magnesium out of the system before it can do its work. I cut down on caffeine, take magnesium supplements, and if 48 hours go by without a bm, I take a half dose of Milk of Magnesia. That seems to help.

Trying real hard to avoid actual constipation because I am not in the mood to be swaddling anything from 'down there' either!!!!
I've had several bouts of "poo pain" this week for some reason. I thought I was over those Not fun at all. THanks for sharing about the Milk of magnesia. I might try that....
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:58 PM

I'm glad I could give you all a little giggle! Thanks for the tip on milk of magnesium! Anything to help the birthing process along! After my "event" this morning I've been having twinges up in my lady area along with some soreness on my lower right side. Anyone else feeling this pain? Just hoping its all normal. I have no bleeding, barely did after the surgery, but the twinges at times are taking my breathe away. Thanks for the replies, it's really comforting to know that I have hyster sisters going through this with me!
Unread 01-12-2012, 09:07 PM

I can't stop laughing, and laughing hurts my belly so bad.
Unread 01-12-2012, 09:59 PM

Oh my goodness I BUSTED out laughing! My honey was like "what's so funny??" I'll keep this one to myself. Just don't think he'd find as much humor in our BMs (or lack there of)as we do! Lol
Unread 01-13-2012, 03:16 PM

I laughed out loud, which is not a good thing right now!!! I do completely understand....and my hubby does too. He HAD to go in the hospital last spring after his accident before they would release him and it was a "hard" thing for him to do. I brought him some of my special brew of coffee to help it along.
Unread 01-21-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1219hysteria View Post
had to hold my stomach on that one. Especially, if you wasn't sure to wrap it or flush the sucker. That made my day. I totally feel you on that. I am 15+ days post op, i too, had my first bm at 6 days. I think i must have sat on the toilet for i know a hour. That next day, the back of my thighs felt like i was working out. It was hard for to sit down. So now i'm taking colace at least twice a week because i'm still on iron medicine. Continue to rest and know we are here.rincess:
omg......lol i too had to hold down my stomach for that one..... Laughter is great medicine however these days it hurts

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register