Scheduled TAH Found out today, scheduled for Tuesday | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Found out today, scheduled for Tuesday Found out today, scheduled for Tuesday

Unread 01-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Found out today, scheduled for Tuesday

I'm exhausted waiting for this surgery. I'm on steroids to raise my platelets, and possibly getting transfusions on Monday prior to surgery.
I haven't slept in three days. It's not because I'm scared, because I'm so ready for this surgery to happen and be over. I'm awake at night thinking about all the things I need to get done. HAHA, but I think I can blame the steroids for that too.
I just don't feel like I have all the things that will make me fore comfortable recovering at home.
Hopefully, my preop tomorrow will help with some of those things. (like how long am I supposed to be in the hospital, etc.)

But it's good! After hours of rescheduling clients for the next three weeks, I'm almost ready! Now I just need to finish scrubbing the house! lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Re: Found out today, scheduled for Tuesday 1/17

Oh boy does that sound familiar!

I swear I didn't get any real sleep the month before the surgery.... after the surgery I slept sooooo good!

You almost there, chin up, a few days left.
Unread 01-13-2012, 12:07 AM

Hey Lorraine,

Breathe - whatever you don't get done will still be waiting later. Don't sweat it. For TAH expect a couple of nights in the hospital.

Also, I hope you rescheduled more than 3 weeks of appointments. Many women are not cleared to return to work for 4 weeks or more - and even those cleared to return earlier discovered that it was very exhausting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2012, 02:31 AM

I'm a self employed hairdresser. So I scheduled my first week back with two hours a day for 4 days, 3 days off, then 3 hours a day. Sadly, i don't know that I can make it better than that because I won't have any income while not working. But if I can't manage it during week four post op, I'll just have to move people around some more!
Unread 01-13-2012, 09:05 AM

I am not sleeping either. Last night I was up until 4am and then back up at 6. I figure I will make up for it after the surgery. I am on the 17th as well!
Unread 01-13-2012, 09:33 AM

Lorraine - 2 hours a day for 4 days might be doable - see how you feel. That long on your feet might be a bit much, but maybe not. I found sitting upright for too long became uncomfortable, but I never tried standing that long. Give yourself a few minutes between appointments to sit down for a bit - it might make all the difference.

I'm self employed, too, and I know how hard and stressful it can be.

LOL - I started doing some computer work around 2-1/2 weeks and fell asleep in front of my computer on more than one occasion. I just imagined you sleep standing with scissors. Try to avoid that
Unread 01-13-2012, 07:05 PM

i too am scheduled for the 17th. cant believe its only 4 days away. i am so stressed! very emotional day at work as i ended a very hectic week wrapping things up. i feel dizzy and light headed, dont recall driving home. i have so much anxiety, confusion and my stomach hurts. not looking forward to the prep sunday & monday. i guess i should focus on getting the house cleaned and ready for post op, grocery shopping and get my books. God give me strength to get through the next several days.
Unread 01-13-2012, 07:26 PM

Hello I am scheduled for Jan 19 and like the others here I am trying to sort out everything (and clean the house). Just a female thing I guess.
Good luck to the ladies going on the 17th. I will be cheering for you. I know it is hard to be self employed and sick, but do take it easy...the body is a marvellous creation, but takes time to heal. Also make your meals as healthy as possible, and sleep, sleep, sleep. Lana
Unread 01-13-2012, 09:53 PM

I have it planned out so that I'll have a cutting stool to use while working, only one client a day for the first week (color application, rest while it processes, hair cut, limited blow drying). LOL, I can afford less to have a relapse than I can to go back too early.
I'm on steroids to raise my platelets, and while not being able to sleep is a side effect, it's making me incredibly happy and hyper. Soooo, I think I lucked out because all my anxiety is GONE.
I have things to do, but there's just so much we as humans under stress can and should take on.
If any of you that are getting worked on this week, I understand that you are nervous. I am too. Just remember, life will be better once this step is over. It's going to suck for a few weeks. Life will be difficult to handle but it will get better!

Oh, and my sister (who has had five major surgeries) gave me advice for the hospital stay:
Pack only a robe (you can leave in the jammies you wear into the hospital) because you will be left in a hospital gown for most of the time you'll be there. (and then you don't have more laundry to do when you get home)
iPod to drown out your roommate and their visitors.
Don't bring a book because it will help you sleep and rest if you are bored.
Bring lotion and chap stick (or ask for vaseline for you lips afterwards)
She says the hospital will provide tooth brush, tooth paste, shower stuff, etc.
And if you want slippers make sure they are rubber soled because if they are fabric, they don't want you to wear them in case of slipping.

My husband is buying me a recliner so I can be in the living room and comfortable. He's also installing a rope in the ceiling of our bedroom so I can pull myself out of bed without help when he's at work at night. I'm supposed to be in the hospital 3 nights and he has to work the night I come home, so he came up with this great idea (I sort of gave it to him, but he engineered it.)

And I'm only going to clean the bathroom at this point because it needs scrubbed before I can come home and use it. (lol, it'll just feel icky when I can see the mildew and have a 6" incision.)

So there are my thoughts for the night. I wish everyone the best! Thanks for all the replies. I hear you and I appreciate all the advice and input!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register