Brilliant things people say when you tell them | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Brilliant things people say when you tell them Brilliant things people say when you tell them

Unread 01-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Brilliant things people say when you tell them

I was talking to a friend today.. more of an old friend just newly reacquainted and upon telling her about my surgery and biopsies, her response was "Oh, well you should get some friends together and go out and get wasted! A few hours dancing on the dancefloor will make you feel great"

I guess I find it funny because the suggesting is ridiculous to me considering I had just said it's hard to walk but I alsp understand some people just can't fathom what it is like to be in this situation.

So what are some of the stupid/silly/odd things people have said to you about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Re: Brilliant things people say when you tell them

Upon saying I have severe endometriosis that made me infertile, unable to work, go to school, walk, or move: "You should just have a baby. My sister had endometriosis and she had 4 kids and now its better."

Hmm... Well, obviously you weren't listening, and obviously she didn't have it that bad. >:[
Unread 01-13-2012, 04:27 PM

I've gotten:

"Wow! Are you sure you want to have a hysterectomy? What if you leave your husband and meet another man and want to have kids with him?"

Um, really?! That's what I should worry about right now?!

or this one:

"What if something happens to one of your kids and you decide you want to have another one?"

Again, really?! Like I'm planning on replacing one of my kids in the rare case that something happens to them?

What the heck is wrong with people!

All I know is that in the end, people aren't really sure what to say so they say things they shouldn't. I'm confident with my decision and having my surgery next week. Good luck to whatever you choose to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2012, 04:31 PM

Thankfully I have only positive things said to me like

" you will love it" or " you will feel like a new woman"

Most of the friends I told new my history and how much trouble I was having so no real off the wall comments.

Sad people can't listen and respond properly!
Unread 01-13-2012, 04:39 PM

People are so weird. How rude!
Unread 01-13-2012, 04:58 PM

LOL! Most of the people I know have been through it or know someone who has, so I didn't get any weird comments either.

Several years ago I did have a PA-C in my previous doctor's office ask, "Why didn't you just have it out?!" after my myomectomy. My husband and I were still attempting to have children.
Unread 01-13-2012, 08:35 PM

A week before surgery, one of my co-workers said to me "Isn't that a pretty routine surgery these days?" Then, the day before my surgery she said, "Well I guess it's routine to me because when I worked at the vet clinic, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...." My other co-workers looked at her in shock and I told her "I'm not getting fixed like a cat!!!!" Let me just say with all the pre-surgery stress I was ready to punch her in the face, (of course, not really, I talk big, but you know what I mean, right?)

When I went back to work last week it was very apparent to me that somebody set her straight because she hugged me and was asking compassionate questions and being nice.
Unread 01-13-2012, 09:06 PM

People I don't consider to be close friends tend to say, "it's a good thing you have your kids already". My close friends are much more compassionate and say they will be praying for me and sending me their love and courageous thoughts on the day of surgery. And of course ask if there is anything they can do to help me post op.
Unread 01-13-2012, 09:54 PM

If I had one more woman tell me I was lucky because now I won't have to "worry about birth control anymore" I would lose it. First of all, why would I worry about birth control? It's not hard or tricky to use! And second, I would absolutely love a surprise pregnancy. I found that comment insulting on several levels.
Unread 01-13-2012, 10:09 PM

Yes, when I showed my good friend my new post-op, fleecy zip up robe
she said "Your husband is never going to want to have sex with you after seeing you in that!!" I burst out in tears and told her how totally insensitive that was, as that is the LAST thing I need to be thinking about during recovery. I also told her that my husband doesn't give a **** about things like that, just because hers does...ironically, a day or two later when I decided to
keep it and wear it, my husband said "Oh that's cute, honey. Looks comfy".
So glad I married the right man!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register