Had my complete Hysterectomy on Monday the 8th | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had my complete Hysterectomy on Monday the 8th Had my complete Hysterectomy on Monday the 8th

Unread 01-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Had my complete Hysterectomy on Monday the 8th

Good Morning All.....

It is a beautiful day to have to stay inside on the couch. COLD and very blustery out right now. Well where to begin.... My surgery was originally scheduled for a davinci hysterectomy on the 16th. After pre op ultrasound the doc said that was no longer possible. It seemed at the time that my left ovary was 20 cm and they couldn't see the right one and now what they saw looked suspicious for cancer. I had the open abdominal surgery done Monday due to a cancellation thank you to whomever cancelled). Originally thought that they would have to cut above my belly button and they did not. Stopped right below it. Let me back up just a bit. I got the vibe from my doctor that she knew something was wrong. I could just tell in her voice and her face. She even came right out and told me she was now worried. Ok back to surgery. Once they got in there they realized I did not have a 20cm mass like it looked on the ultra sound. Actually each ovary was 10 cm (which btw was smaller than the 11/11 ultra sound showed) and because there was limited space they were Relief #1. She got the ovaries out without any problems. Relief #2. They did come back from the quick pathology check with cancer so she went ahead and took everything else (I requested complete even if the ovaries were not suspicious because they were both coming out anyway). She also removed my omentum, some lymph nodes and my appendix as well as doing a couple biopsies to check. She met with my husband immediately after and he said he said she looked very tired. lol. She told him that everything she took out looked great (except for ovaries of course) and she was very happy for me and very optimistic of the outcome. She told me the same thing as well the next morning.

I am nervous about my follow up appointment on the 20th. I don't want to have to have any treatments or anything. She said based on what she saw I didnt have too but it is still in my mind. My husband is so convinced all is well he keeps telling me to take that energy and put it towards recovery.

Aaahh Recovery. I am sleeping on the couch because the bed just did not seem comfortable Wednesday when I got home. I can honestly say this recovery is much easier than my c-section recovery. I feel fantastic. Yesterday I rode to the post office with DH and came home, had lunch and napped the afternoon away. I can not believe the level of energy I have. Thus far the recovery road has been an easy one for me. My two boys are very excited because they are each going to take a turn this weekend sleeping in the family room to
'take care of mommy" They are being wonderful and helping sooo much.

I still have not had a bowel movement yet. IS that uncommon? This is day 4 since surgery. I am not worried about going just want to hit that milestone I guess. Since surgery I have been on colace twice daily and also 2 stool softener pills daily. I guess I just want to make sure that what I have left in there is still in good working order. LOL

Any advice would be helpful. I hope everyone else that had their surgery this week is doing well.......Happy recovery ladies.:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Re: Had my complete Hysterectomy on Monday the 8th

First let me say that I will pray for a positive outcome for your pathology report! My first BM was on the 4th day. I took stool softeners morning and evening every day for 4 weeks but to get the first BM going I added a 1/2 cap of Miralax and that did the trick. Please get lots of rest and follow doctors orders so your recovery continues to be positive!
Unread 01-13-2012, 10:14 AM

Wow I am so sorry that you are going through all this! Rest, rest, and more rest. I am glad that you have a loving family to help you out.

As far as the bowel movement, my doctor stressed taking a laxative if I didn't end up having one within 48 hours. I took Miralax. It really works. Just take a dose before bed each night until you have one, then continue to take the stool softeners like you have been, especially if you are on narcotics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2012, 10:15 AM

Great idea. What did you mix the miralax in with?? I have never used it before. Thank you for your prayers
Unread 01-13-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Januarysurgery View Post
Great idea. What did you mix the miralax in with?? I have never used it before. Thank you for your prayers
I mixed it with water because it is clear and flavorless and I am a huge water drinker. Water will help with your BM's as well..especially if you are on narcotics still.
Unread 01-13-2012, 01:09 PM

I just thought of something else that helped me --- coffee.
Unread 01-13-2012, 01:23 PM

ooooohhhhh love my coffee.. Having my afternon cup right now. Thanks for the idea. Do you think I could mix the miralax in with the coffee?
Unread 01-13-2012, 01:43 PM

I can't tell if you are kidding or not! I wouldn't do that. Drink your coffee, but then have extra water, because the coffee dehydrates you, and dehydration is not helpful for trying to poop.
Unread 01-13-2012, 03:53 PM

Yes I was kidding. Coffee is just so much better than plain water. LOL.... I will mix it with some water
Unread 01-13-2012, 04:47 PM

I mix it with apple juice. That is what the hospital told me to mix it with. I even once mixed it with my iced tea. Not too bad!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register