Shopping List | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Shopping List Shopping List

Unread 01-14-2012, 01:58 AM
Shopping List

Going grocery shopping Sunday to prepare for my TVH/BSO on Wednesday. I'm not sure what to eat after I come home from the Castle, and since I already have IBS I get super bloated easily. Just wondering if there's a "good" and "bad" food list? I've searched the site but haven't come up with much but the obvious bad choices, (soda, beans, etc.)

Thanks!!!
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2012, 02:17 AM
Re: Shopping List

I have IBS as well. I kept things pretty bland (but I fully admit to getting a burrito on the way home from the hospital). Also, I found that my throat was really sore from the tube so I wasn't able to swallow bread or crackers. As an IBS suffer I would try to stick to your foods you know you are safe with and make sure you are getting tons of fiber and water. I have had lots of pasta, rice, oranges, cereal, plain eggs, and applesauce.

Today, is day eight for me and besides the burrito, it is the first day I had a real appetite.
Unread 01-14-2012, 05:22 AM

I hear fiber over and over! One thing I have been stocking up on is Progesso extra fiber soup, applesauce plus fiber! I also have been cooking and freezing meals. I have made spinach lasagna, quino and mushroom burgers, stuffed tomatoes, and baked ziti (with veggie pasta, that is high fiber). I have friends who will stop in once a day and bring dinner. But that leaves breakfast and lunch on me. I have thought of making a few breakfast casseroles to freeze. But i also dont have IBS. Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2012, 03:42 PM

I have IBS too and I couldn't eat anything solid for awhile, mainly because of my throat being sore from the tube. I lived on chicken noodlesoup, crackers, and jello until I had a full appetite.
Unread 01-15-2012, 07:07 PM

I dont have IBS but I will be juicing a lot of stuff because pain meds stop me up something fierce.... I also dont want to gain too much weight while not being active.
Unread 01-15-2012, 07:25 PM

All I wanted for a while was potatoes - mashed, baked. And soup.
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:13 AM

I stocked up on canned soups and sandwich fixings, but found after just a day or 2 that I felt good enough to prepare easy meals. Of course, cooking is my profession and when I'm bored I cook. I don't know if I'm the exception, but my recovery has been very easy and more pain free than I thought it would.
Unread 01-16-2012, 12:26 PM

and yogurt might help too. Or take a probiotic if you aren't already.
Unread 01-16-2012, 02:57 PM

The probiotic is a great idea. Dairy sure tastes good but adds to constipation. Beans are your best friend for many reasons, not the least of which is the high fiber and protein content. If no beans, Benefiber is a great daily addition to routine first thing every day to avoid post-op constipation. If you eat pudding you can up the protein content by adding 1/4 cup of powdered milk to every 1 cup of fluid milk. Your surgeon or pre-op nurse may have other great suggestions.
Unread 01-16-2012, 03:02 PM

I waited to load up on the fiber because I was afraid of upsetting my sensitive bowels. I paid for it. You need every bit of fiber that you can stand to ease the digestive discomfort after surgery. My doc said apples, apples, apples! I've done that and prunes and yogurt and done really well after that initial difficulty. Try to stay away from caffeine because it enhances the diuretic effect of the anesthetic and pain meds...not good. I am drinking over 100 ounces of water a day, and that seems to be helping a lot, too. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register