Question about Bowel Prep - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about Bowel Prep Question about Bowel Prep

Unread 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Re: Question about Bowel Prep

I'm having a tvh on the 30th. I have to do the whole bowel thing but have 2 options on how. Has anyone heard of that? I'm now debating which will be easier. Definitely ask the Dr. Good luck with surgery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantsupport View Post
my body reacts to pain w/ nausea and vomiting ,Michelle
Have you tried an anti nausea pill with your pain meds? I have do so on occasion and it makes a huge difference for me.

Bowel prep advice from my doctor of my TAH: Eat easily digestible foods, but no prep required. So today, I'm only eating veggies and broths. Lots of water since it's -20 here in Alaska today and so dry out.
I almost wish I was doing a bowel prep just because I get constipated when I'm nervous. But he says I don't need to, so I'm doing as I was told!
Good luck!
Unread 01-16-2012, 12:27 PM

Thank You Lorraine907 I will try that, although it is not the pain meds that cause the n/v it is the pain itself. I have a really high pain tolerance but any time I am in pain it causes n/v. I had it with each contraction during late labor w/ all three of my kids (no pain meds) and again when I broke my ankle as well as after other surgeries. But being prepared for anything and everything has been my goal for this whole process. Thanks again for the advice. Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2012, 12:38 PM

lol, with this surgery, I think it would be horrid to vomit with your pain, so I hope it helps. And it can't hurt to ask the doc if it can have it. They may be able to put it in your iv drip. Best of luck!
Unread 01-16-2012, 12:53 PM

Bowel preps are losing their popularity - but some docs stay with outdated trends , so check with your doc to be safe, on what he is comfortable with . I didn't have a bowel prep , and am grateful. !
Unread 01-16-2012, 12:57 PM

Called Dr this morning. I don't have to do the bowel prep but he said to go ahead and start taking stool softeners now. Just happy that I don't have to do a bowel prep!

Good Luck to you all!
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:39 PM

During sugary in the intestine area is a very cramped work space. Stool stores up for many many years in the bowl system, thus creating "a lack of room". Bowl prep allows the surgeon much more room to work with. Bowl prep is also for "in case of an emergency". When working in this area if your bowls are nicked, feces can leek into the site. Feces is very dangerous to the body, and can be detrimental to anyone's health (sugary or not). If this is a concern I would call your doctor and ask for bowl prep instructions, because you want to be on the safe side. Until reading this, I had never heard of a surgeon not doing a bowl prep.
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:35 PM

I did not have to do a prep the night before surgery but once in preop, I was handed 2 Fleet enemas and told to go in the bathroom and give them to myself (plus a douche to help clean out my vagina). It all wasn't too bad. I just acted(!!) like I knew what I was doing and it apparently worked out fine.
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:50 PM

I kept waiting for someone to tell me to do one too but at my pre op appointment the only thing he said was to not eat after midnight the day before surgery.
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:25 PM

In my experience, I had a basic laproscopy and was told only to stop food and drink at midnight the night before. However, when I had the hysterectomy I did have to do a bowel prep because of the amount of endometriosis that needed to be removed. Everything was stuck together and had to be separated before it could be removed. I had to take 4 Dulcolax and drink 64 oz. of gatorade with miralax in it. I was scared because of the stories I had heard, but it wasn't that bad.

Of course, I also encourage you to call the doctor about this. Everyone is different. And I do wish you luck and hope that you feel better soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register