Elevated Blood Sugars | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Elevated Blood Sugars Elevated Blood Sugars

Unread 01-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Elevated Blood Sugars

I am 5 days post op vaginal hysterectomy, but my ovaries were left in place. I have experienced elevated blood sugars since the morning following my sugery. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and did it subside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Re: Elevated Blood Sugars

Are you diabetic. If not, it may be something to have investigated. You may have been "pre-diabetic" prior to surgery and wasn't aware and the stress of surgery has caused an increased elevation. Some have diabetic symptoms after surgery due to elevation of cortisol levels and if your ovaries are not working full force,the hormone fluctuations can also contribute. Definetly requires close monitoring and future follow up. Here's hoping it's just a small blip in the radar!
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:16 PM

I'm diabetic and for the first week and a half I noticed a small increase. My levels started dropping back to normal about a week ago. I chalked it up to my body working overtime to heal and not being as active as usual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2012, 05:53 PM

Your body had been stressed which causes our BS to do all sorts of crazy things! Are you on insulin therapy of some kind? Pump? Shots? If you are on insulin therapy maybe you should talk to your Dr about tweeking things for a little bit until things return to a more normal pace. Are you testing frequently? Do you carb count? Type 1 or 2? Sorry for so many questions! Just trying to get a better picture of your situation.

I was diagnosed T2, but just recently re-diagnosed T1.

Hope you are feeling well and recovering nicely!!!
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:34 AM

Hi Ladies..thank you for your replies. I am Type 2, have been for about 18 yrs now. Started Metformin 500 mg 1x/day in Dec 2010. Had controlled it by diet and exercise prior to that. Dr said as we age, so does our pancreas. I do watch what I eat. I checked this mornng and reading was 104. I am hoping that things are coming back to normal. Both of my ovaries were left in place. Hoping it was stress that my body was under following surgery. Will keep you updated.
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:14 AM

Yes surgery or any illness can affect your blood sugars. I have seen mine slightly elevated to 167 or 124 after drinking juice. I wouldn't normally drink juice but still trying to keep things simple for the bowel. Sounds like you are returning to a more normal range.

Just for future reference you may want to have a sick day plan. This means you have supplies on hand and a diet plan that you don't have to think about that you already have the food that is bland for when you are sick but not the kind that triggers sugar spikes. When you are sick (or recovering from surgery) my understanding is that you should keep a closer watch on your blood sugar as it can swing quickly on you.
Unread 01-16-2012, 01:53 PM

I agree with eynow. Sounds like your starting to come back to a normal range. If I woke with BS of 104 right now I would be doing the happy dance . Unfortunately I was misdiagnosed in 2004 and we are trying to get me under control. Things are getting better though. I willl be going on an insulin pump soon

I hope this was just a blip on the radar and that as soon as the stress of surgery and healing calm down you will get back to normal.
Unread 01-17-2012, 09:03 AM

My BS was elevated the first couple weeks after surgery. It seems to be back to normal now. My BS is usually high when I'm sick so I figure my body gets stressed it will go up. Glad yours is getting back to normal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register