Isomina and ativan | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Isomina and ativan Isomina and ativan

Unread 01-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Isomina and ativan

Hi everyone, so the insomina 9 months was killing me so doct has me on ativan, I know this is addictive, but all sleep aids are. Its been 3 weeks since I have left my vivelle patch alone no.adding or sub. Ladies I hope someone cansay hey it gets.better. I hate taking addictive drugs. Eecially when I never had too. Im curious why we get insomina. And why I was fine until 6 weeks after. Hormone hell. It seems every post I read about insomina is due to early post op. I can handle 4 hours of natural sleep over drug induced sleep but I cant even fall asleep its like im wired at 6every night, I have thouvht of evefy senorio and cant figure it out anyone gone through this long term or should I just relax and except this as menapause hell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Re: Isomina and ativan

vonnie
I totally understand your frustration and exhaustion from no sleep!! I have been there too...after my hysterectomy (in '06).
There is a great resource book on hormones called Screaming To Be Heard, by Elizabeth Vliet MD. She talks about insomnia at length. What I learned from the book can certainly be hormone related and there are ways to help. It taught me what to ask my Dr for and after a few tweaks I am now able to sleep fairly well ...without addictive meds.
Estrogen is very important for keeping the serotonin levels up in the brain and serotonin is key for healthy sleep...and if the estrogen is too high or too low it can disrupt sleep.
My experience has been if I can't fall asleep then my estrogen level is too high. If I fall asleep easily and wake up too early then my estrogen is too low. I also found I need a small amt of progesterone at night to help me sleep.
Check out the book..it should be in your library. Good luck!
Unread 01-16-2012, 04:52 PM

I just was out looking for it the book store didnt have it. I still get mild hot flahes, so figured the .1 was not enough im waiting out the 6 weeks with no adjustments when I tried progest it my est down and my heart would race it worked for about a day or two. And I lost wieght after two weeks the insomina got worse and anexity got worse im having all.my levels checked again but whoS to say what my level is after.a.few weeks I might try cutting it lil at time lol do you think there something to with this patch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2012, 06:36 PM

I got my book on Amazon. I bought it after seeing it in my library.

Hot flashes can also happen when your level is low or going up or down rapidly.
On the patch, some women can be more sensitive to the fluctuations. If you look at the drug literature, it will show you a graph for the 2 1/2 day cycle for the patch. Most women can handle it but I am one of those sensitive women that could not handle the fluctuations...it caused me headaches and terrible mood swings besides insomnia.

Sounds like you are doing a good job not messing with the dosage for 6 weeks. Your body does need time to adjust. I used to mess with different doses and it just made me worse.

What dose progesterone did you try? Were you on a steady dose of estrogen for a while before you tried it?

Progesterone can cause problems if your E level isn't adequate or if the P dose is too high. It is a powerful hormone. I use only 25mg of compounded P cream. Progesterone in higher doses makes me depressed and feel like a zombie.

I had to a few different hrts before I figured out what worked best for me.

It does take patience and strength for sure!! You will get there too!
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnie123 View Post
I just was out looking for it the book store didnt have it. I still get mild hot flahes, so figured the .1 was not enough im waiting out the 6 weeks with no adjustments when I tried progest it my est down and my heart would race it worked for about a day or two. And I lost wieght after two weeks the insomina got worse and anexity got worse im having all.my levels checked again but whoS to say what my level is after.a.few weeks I might try cutting it lil at time lol do you think there something to with this patch
the progest was at first try 100 mg oral, but we changed my est from .5 to .75 then to 1 & it worked for three days I stayed on that for about 3 months and it got worse so doct starts me on premerin a few days after that my heart starts getting rapid and still have insomina quit the prem went back to patch still had insomnia so after so many sleeping pills tried prog cream ok again 2 nights slept then.back to insomina only its worse hlt flashes, ect. heart starts going and so I stop prog. And im just leaving the .1 alone it seems to me the insomina started ln the...5. & never left anything alone for more than a few weeks im on ativan right now and I hate not feeling like im in control of my life or when I should sleep what type of estrogen did you switch tto

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register