Question: diabetic and overweight | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question: diabetic and overweight Question: diabetic and overweight

Unread 01-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Question: diabetic and overweight

Ok, I have a question. Is the recovery time going to be any different if you are on the over weight side? Is anyone Diabetic? I am just full of questions but I don't think of them all at once. I am glad that I was given this website by a friend. I have found alot of helpful information.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Re: Question

Keep a notepad and write all your questions down as you think of them. That way when you're at the doctors you won't forget anything. I did that post op because I had so many questions and wasn't remembering well due to pain meds. The diabetes may play a role in your recovery do its important to ask about that.
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:02 AM

I'm a alot overweight and have been healing beautifully, not sure about the diabetic aspect though. Definitely write your questions down, there were many things I wanted to know and totally forgot when it came pre-op time..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Re: Question: diabetic and overweight

If you are very overweight (clinically obese), it can sometimes have an effect on recovery (abdominal surgery).
Feel free to send me a personal message if you have any questions. Although my hyster was vaginal, I did have a c-section and had complications afterwards which could have been from my belly fat.
Unread 01-16-2012, 02:41 PM

I too am diabetic. On insulin. I had no problems healing post op. Of course I had good control at the time. My GP had to sign off on the surgery that my diabetes was controlled and it was ok to have the surgery. You might want to talk to your surgeon about that.

Some diabetics have healing issues even with good control. Talk talk talk to all your Drs. They can give you the best advice as every diabetics situation is different.

Hope you recover well and quickly
Unread 01-16-2012, 02:51 PM

I would encourage you to check in with your endocrinologist or whomever is treating your diabetes. There are other surgical risks associated with diabetes, particulalry if you went a long while without dianosis or treatment. Forewarned is forearmed, so don't be afraid to air every concern and ask every question.
Unread 01-16-2012, 03:31 PM

I'm 34 and type 2. I have been recovering wonderfully. I have had no complications as of yet and am 3 weeks post op. I have been pretty much pain free since day 2-3. I go in for my 3 week appt. tomorrow and expect to hear everything is fine. From what I have read I am doing better than most.
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:48 PM

So how long has it taken any of you to return to work?
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:23 PM

I didn't take any time off work except for the day of surgery (Dec 27th.) I work from home as a property manager of a mobile home park. I have it pretty easy though. I collect rent from 55 units, pass out billing the first of the month, and read utility meters monthly. I hosted a park BBQ on Dec 30th, passed out the billilng to each unit on the 31st, and read meters on the Jan 9th. I also went shopping and/or out to eat daily as soon as I was released from the hospital. I actually went out to lunch and dinner the day after surgery. Within the first week I had been to riteaid, walgreens, walmart, ikea twice and the mall shopping! The only thing I didn't do the first week was drive but could have easily. I just hate driving in So Cal so I passed that task off to my hubby like I usually do. I was released to do anything except heavy lifting and intercourse (outercourse is ok) at my one week post op appt.
Unread 01-17-2012, 12:00 AM

I am 41 and Type-II. I've had two other surgeries within the last year that required anesthesia. The only thing I noticed was that my sugar was a little high for a few days following surgery, but not very much. I was told that was a possible side effect of anesthesia before surgery. I have decent control of my sugar, but not perfect. My A1C usually runs in the 7 to 7.5 range. My dr would like for it to be 6.5 to 7.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register