Home scheduling issues making process way harder | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home scheduling issues making process way harder Home scheduling issues making process way harder

Unread 01-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Home scheduling issues making process way harder

I am scheduled for robotic-assisted hysterectomy on 2/11. Surgery came into the picture rather suddenly. At the same time my partner's job is sucking all the oxygen out of our home life. He could not get out of 10 days of training out of town that starts a few days after my surgery. Pain is progressively getting worse. After wrestling with the scheduling issues AND physical pain over the weekend I know I cannot reschedule. Not to mention I have been planning to attend my son's senior recital this Spring for months. I am still trying to get my 2nd and 3rd opinions, have a biopsy on the 30. Now have to find people to help me when he is out of town. I AM LOSING MY FREAKING MIND!! Thank you for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Re: Home scheduling issues making process way harder

I am having a diVinci done too, Everything I have been reading says you are feeling better faster than with any other type of hyster. How old are your kiddos? Maybe they could all pitch in and help Mom out.
"This too shall pass" so just hang on.
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:20 AM

I am scheduled for 2/1....when my husband and I were looking at the available dates for surgery there was always one thing or another that was making any date not ideal. I finally just decided to take the first one available since it meant that I did not have to endure another awful period.

My husband works a ton and has business travel coming up as well, but I had to pick what was best for me. The rest will work itself out. I think he can juggle a couple of dates around and thankfully my 22 yr old daughter should be around to help as well....she is a nursing student so it will be nice to have my own nurse on hand!

I hate askIng for help too...do you have family nearby? friends that can check in and maybe bring food etc? It will work itself out....hang in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2012, 10:21 AM

Even with TAH, I was up and about fast. You are encouraged/expected to walk within hours and I was all over the place inside the house for the first 2 weeks - as long as I didn't bend over too much and lift anything over 10 pounds, I was pretty much doing for myself right away - when I wasn't napping. I napped a lot the first 2 weeks. As long as you have no surgery complications, you should be fine without your husband at home.

You have a senior - if he's driving, he can be your chauffeur if necessary and he can carry the groceries.

I found my post-op pain far easier to deal with than the pre-op, sort of like the difference between a mosquito bite vs. a dog bite. OK, maybe not that dramatic, but you get my drift.

Take Care.
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:42 AM

Just to clarify: no one at home except the two of us. We are somewhat rural. I am worried about having no one in the house just 4 days after surgery. We have a neighbor who can help with practical stuff but is a guy so no "personal" stuff. Working on something in house but super stressed about the whole **** thing. Also working on moving it up to avoid all the BS going on right now.
Unread 01-16-2012, 12:23 PM

My suggest is to have a friend come help you for the first couple of days, but you shouldn't need much help. Both my sister and my aunt had the same surgery you had and other than weight restrictions, both were completely back to physically demanding jobs within 10 days.
My husband is rigging a rope in our ceiling so I can pull myself out of bed at night when he is at work (I'm having TAH). I think you can find a bed pulley on Amazon that you hook to your mattress.
You're going to need someone to drive you home and maybe to your follow up appointment. Maybe your neighbor can help with that?
It will suck to be by yourself, but I think you'll be alright if you prep ahead of time. Freeze some dinners, get groceries, etc. If all you have to do is put a plate of food in the microwave, you'll be alright.
Unread 01-16-2012, 01:38 PM

I will be recovering alone, with the exeption of a friend stopping over daily to do what i cant, like vacuum, scoop kitty litter, etc.

What i have been doing to make it easier

- Got a grabber from a local drug store to pick up anything off the floor.

-Moved pajamas, underwear, socks to the top drawer of the dresser, so im not reaching down.

- made freezer meals to thaw the night before, what I want for dinner. Stocked up on other easy foods like extra fiber Progresso soups.

-putting a kitchen chair next to my bed and couch to help myself in and out of bed.

-will move a extension cord to end table so im not reaching down to plug things in.

- made an "on-call" list of friends in case i need a script picked up or help.

-putting a plastic lawn chair in the shower for when i come home.

You should see all the lists i have!

Hope this might make it a bit easier on you!

Tina
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:23 PM

Unless you have some serious complications, you shouldn't need help with "personal stuff" Four days post-op should have you shuffling pretty well around the house between naps.

If you can get an earlier date, that might help with the stress of both waiting and worrying about after. I would do that, but if not possible, having a neighbor for the 'practical stuff' help should be more than adequate - really.
Unread 01-16-2012, 07:09 PM

I was on my own 4 days post op and I had stairs too. You will be fine as long as you take it very easy and do not cheat on bending and lifting. McLila is correct, you will be shuffling along just fine 4 days out. By the time you are on your own, you will have gotten your personal area stocked how you like it. If your partner is anything like my hub, he will be checking on you all the time. Of course if you don't feel up to it, have a friend stop by to check on you and take care of anything you might need help with. Take care and have a great and uneventful surgery and recovery.
Unread 01-19-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinFC View Post
Just to clarify: no one at home except the two of us. We are somewhat rural. I am worried about having no one in the house just 4 days after surgery. We have a neighbor who can help with practical stuff but is a guy so no "personal" stuff. Working on something in house but super stressed about the whole **** thing. Also working on moving it up to avoid all the BS going on right now.
You will be fine, I was able to get up and make breakfast in 2 days just make sure you have TV dinners on hand or have meals prepared and frozen so you can just nuke something to eat, in terms o f needing help with personal matters that wont be necessary I had no problems taking a shower or anything else just make sure you have all your supplies indoors before your surgery - peppermint tea and Gas X and a heating pad - You will be fine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register