Scheduled TAH Surgery prep? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery prep? Surgery prep?

Unread 01-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Surgery prep?

Going in in the morning and have almost no prep instructions.

I'm eating lightly today, but no bowel prep needed.
But my last surgery they told me all the things I needed to do before I showed up. IE, shower with antibacterial soap, no lotions, no nail polish or make up, etc.

I had to call friday to verify the no lotion thing (extremely cold and dry here right now so skin is horridly tight).

I'm going in to get another blood draw today to check my platelets, so I'm going to stop by the office to make sure I'm not missing anything I should know.

But if anyone has advice on what to do before surgery, I'm all ears (or eyes as the case maybe).

I'm almost packed, finishing scrubbing my tub today, grooming my high maintenance dog, and hanging with my 15 year old before I go in in the morning.

I'm nervous, but ready to have this over with. I'm just glad they finally agreed to do this. It's taken years of suffering to get here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Re: Surgery prep?

I recommend bringing the kind of lozenges or spray that numbs your throat (in case you get a breathing tube during surgery.) The sore throat afterwards can be rough.
You may not end up needing it but it's best to be prepared just in case.

Wishing you a smooth surgery and recovery.
Unread 01-16-2012, 02:33 PM

I would also say to bring a sleep mask so that the nurses' entrances into your room when you are sleeping won't be so jarring. Also, get a pregnancy belly band to support your stomach after surgery and a pillow pet to open up and keep on your stomach. I know this sounds silly, but you will want pressure against you to help with gas pains and soreness and the pillow pets are wide enough to cover your whole abdomen and thin enough not to be too bulky to hug easily. Don't eat or drink after midnight tonight! The less you have on your stomach, the less nauseated you will be after surgery.

Also, even if you don't think you need your pain meds after surgery, take them! Stay ahead of the pain at least for as long as you are in the hospital.

Most importantly, focus on the moment that you are living. Don't look too far ahead and congratulate yourself for being brave before surgery and for any progress you make afterwards.

I will pray for you...now I know how! I am eleven days post op and feeling better all the time. No one told me what to expect, and I'm kind of glad now that it went that way. Each day and each recovery is unique. Take care of you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2012, 02:56 PM

Lotion on your hands should be ok, but no powder/lotion on your belly or "south" of the belly. Do not eat or drink after midnight & if you eat today make it light, I was on a clear liquid diet the day before & had to drink mag. citrate for bowel prep. I am only 4 days out mine was on thurs. Best of luck to you!!!
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:19 PM

Lorraine - did anyone call you during the day today to confirm your admission tomorrow? Besides my chats with my doctor's office the week before surgery, I got a call during the weekend from the hospital to go over the eating, hygeine and other questions.

Most of my "prep" had to do with making the house as comfortable and easy to navigate as possible when I came home. My surgery was a Monday morning too, and by Thursday morning I was eager to be discharged. Biggest challenge was learning to get in and out of the bed at home, since it didn't have the bells, buttons and whistles of a hospital bed!

I slept a lot and had a good novel with me at the castle. Got up to go to the bathroom or walk around the halls but didn't realize till I was packing to leave that there was a nice thick booklet on the bedside table about how to make sure I was getting everything addressed during my stay - wish I'd read it the first day, because of all the little things that just never occurred to me till after the fact.

Good luck with everything - please let us know how you are doing when you are back from the castle!
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:45 PM

good luck! I'm having mine next week... though I've had 4 befor (2 laps & 2 c sections) I'm nervous too...

I love how everyone talks about pampering yourself!

hugs!
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:17 PM

All good news! I went in for Pre Op Admission today and my blood draw. Nurse was very helpful and told me everything I needed to know, answered questions, and had good advise.
I have a Pee Wee Pillow Pet, a sleep mask, my iTouch, and a toilettres kit (with throat lozenges). I'm wearing in what I plan on wearing out. I got everything into a medium sized shower kit bag. It's really cold here so I figure I'll just wear my house robe in and out of the hospital!
LOL, and now I'm down to only needing to brush my dog!
Oh, and I'm on a clear foods diet today without bowel prep. I'm going to be starving by Wednesday, lol.

Thank you!
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:25 PM

Have you got things within easy reach? You may have others to help, of course, but it gives you some independence.

Good idea to cut your toenails before you go in! Not easy to do for a few weeks, unless you are going to go out for a pedicure!

All the best! See you on the post-op. forum, maybe!
Unread 01-16-2012, 07:53 PM

I have a basket of things to do next my bed (so someone can pack it and down the stairs for me), a box of kleenex, a 16 oz water bottle, a lap top table with tilting top, my husband bought me a recliner and it has a table next to it with tv remotes, etc. I'm putting a basket on the toilet tank with pads, wet wipes, and etc roll of tp.
And I'm cutting and buffing all my nails tonight. I have hair color stains on my finger nails, so I figured I might as well do my toes too.
I'll be on the post op forum if for no other reason than boredom. This site helped me prepare so much more than anything else that I'll definitely put in my advise for what worked for me and what didn't.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register