Q -Shaving pre-surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Q -Shaving pre-surgery Q -Shaving pre-surgery

Unread 01-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Q -Shaving pre-surgery - (I'm already shaved)

My surgery is tomorrow, January 17. I'm having abdominal surgery for a hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair, and bladder repair all related to prolapse.

I have shaved completely for 10+ years, so I never thought to ask about it. I was given very specific written instructions on bowel prep, pre-op hygiene, etc. from my surgeon, but nothing is said about shaving.

From what I have read on this forum and other internet sources, many doctors tell patients NOT to shave for fear of infection.

Obviously, I've been doing this myself for a long time. I know how to shave without nicking, etc. But now I'm very worried that my surgery will be cancelled tomorrow because I shaved.

Did anyone else have this experience?

I kind of don't want to call my doctor's office to ask in case they decide to go ahead and cancel the surgery without even looking to see that I have no cuts, etc. It seems like the day of surgery they would be less inclined to cancel. But, again, if they are going to cancel it anyway I'd rather just save everyone the trouble today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Re: Q -Shaving pre-surgery

I have to admit that I did the same thing. I was on auto pilot and just shaved and didn't even think about it. I said nothing for the same fears as you. My surgery went as scheduled and had no complications. I do understand the issues involved regarding infection. I had a da Vinci, but my guess is that it doesn't matter. I would think that this is quite common these days-the shaving thing. This isn't really an answer; just a wink, wink to you. I would think you are okay since your surgeon said nothing regarding surgery. Good luck and have a great surgery and recovery.
Unread 01-16-2012, 04:16 PM

My pre-op directions specifically said not too shave for 3 days before surgery. However, given that it was common practice for many years to shave, I'd just "play dumb" - don't ask, don't tell, or whatever you want to call it.

Many of the new drapes that they use during surgery are actually taped on to your skin, so the abdominal incision is actually made through plastic. It keeps all of the germs on the skin so they can't get inside, so if that's the case, you would probably be fine anyways. Not an expert, just my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Q -Shaving pre-surgery

Thank you both for your replies. My fears are definitely eased now. I guess if my surgeon was really concerned they would have said something, at least that's what I hope!
Unread 01-16-2012, 04:59 PM

Let us know how you made out. I'll be thinking about you!
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:30 PM

I have been shaving also for many years, and even when told not to right before a surg, I still do and never had any issues. I too am shaving before my hysterectomy on the 24th. Keep in mind that the rule of thumb is if everyone has it there, it is meant to be there.... I disagree I am a hair hater LOL
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:25 PM

pkr11 nothing to worry about my dear....I pray that your surgery will go well and your recovery will be speedy. I love to shave as well and I did it about 3 days prior to surgery. It wasn't a problem as when the nurse was getting me ready for surgery she asked if I did and and even shaved me again.
Unread 01-18-2012, 05:12 AM

I never said anything and neither did any of the nurses or surgeon. Thanks goodness!

The surgery ended up taking 5 1/2 hours. Apparently, after what was supposed to happen was complete, they stitched me up only to cut me back open again. I don't know all the details yet, I just know it had something to with my bladder. They called in another surgeon and I now have stents. I am anxiously awaiting for my surgeons to visit so I can figure out what happened.

Thanks again for replies. This forum has been a tremendous help.
Unread 01-18-2012, 05:50 PM

Hey good to see you are able to communicate with us already after that long surgery. When I did mine, they had to cut me open 2 days after 1st one also because of my left ovary. They wanted to take the cervix but due to adhesion couldn't reach to it. If they had persisted they would have damaged my bladder. I'm glad they didn't.

Any pkr11, you get some rest and no lifting now. Walk around as much as you can also, it's good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register