Abdominal incision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal incision Abdominal incision

Unread 01-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Abdominal incision

How bad is this going to be? I have never had staples....gonna gross me out! How long will I have them and will they needed dressing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Re: Abdominal incision

Hey Heather,

I had staples with sutures. Not knowing your 'gross out' threshold, I can't really say much about that.

I had my staples in for one week when they were replaced with steri-strips. If you don't have sutures in addition to the staples, then I suspect at least 2 weeks. I can tell you the staples itched - a lot. I was very glad to be rid of them.

I didn't put a dressing on them once I left the hospital, but I made sure to wear very loose clothing that wouldn't pull on them. Follow your doctor's instructions for wound care and you should be fine.
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:15 PM

Heather,

After surgery I was covered with bandages and didn't see my staples until the next morning. Once it was taken off I was more amazed then anything, I took pictures and my roommate came over to see them, she even counted them, LOL. I had no problem showing here.

The most uncomfortable part is the tightness, however, not so that it pained me. Getting out of bed I felt like I was pulling them. So it's important that you have a good technique. Like, I held a pillow to my stomach and used my other hand to lift myself. I also used it while walking. Another thing that helps, the abdominal binder, in a sense, it helped better than the pillow.

10 days later, I had the staples removed, which I was afraid because I thought it would be painful. It's not! My incision was healing but not entirely closed; yet, not open either. The doctor reminded me of this and cautioned me to be extra careful about lifting. She didn't apply steri strips either. It was closed but you can tell it still needed to heal.

It was then that I started to apply cocoa butter. Additionally, itching didn't occur while I had the staples, it was once they removed {cocoa butter took care of that} I'm 3 months post op and occasionally my incision itches but it healed nicely.

Best Wishes,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2012, 09:34 PM

Heather,

I had no staples - just surgical glue on top of the incision and lots of stitches under the skin. I had a big bandage which was removed the day after surgery. I was told to leave everything alone, don't pick at the glue, and to NOT put any topical lotion or anything thing at all on it. My incision was tender for a while, but I left it alone. I know of some women who were putting vitamin lotion on their incision to try and minimize scaring. But then the incision got to soft and split open!

Just follow your doctors orders and if it grosses you out, try not to look at it. You might do better with this than you think.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:04 PM

Heather, I also didn't have staples, the only thing visable (other then the cut) were steri strips to support the internal stitches & surgical glue.

The appearance also depends on how you are cut- mine was horizontal, just over my pubic area below my belly. Because it's really flat there the cut lay flat. I know of others who have to have the cut done vertically and then the appearance of the cut is dependant of the body and how much skin & fat it has to travel through.

No dressing required, all I had to do was to rinse the area when showering & blow the steri-strips dry.

My experience overall was much better then I had expected. Hope yours will be too!
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:27 AM

I too do not have staples. Glue and strips of tape are holding me together along with internal stitches. A hot shower and a pat drying of the tape were my instructions. They will eventually come off. I have had no issues as of yet (5 days post op) with them and am doing great. I'm glad I didn't have staples. I think that would have freaked me out more.
Unread 01-17-2012, 12:17 PM

I also did not have staples. I had a horizontal cut, just below the hairline, only about 5 inches long. I had internal stitches and glue on the outside. I was told not to touch it at all, only pat it dry after a shower. I'm only 4 weeks tomorrow, and my glue is still peeling off, but the incision is closed.
Unread 01-26-2012, 05:59 PM

What a relief .....I only have inturnal stiches and strips holding mine together too! Actually doesnt look bad at all and have the same instructions! The only thing tough is getting up /down and in\out of bed! Never really thought of how much of your core you use doing such things! Getting a little better but, still not perfect or painless yet! Only 3rd day post-op
Unread 01-26-2012, 07:12 PM

I didn't have staples either. I had a horizontal incision that was closed with internal stitches and steristrips. Dr said to just pat dry and leave strips on about 10 days.
Unread 01-26-2012, 08:14 PM

I had staples for a surgery where very large tumors that were on my ovaries had to be removed... it was amazing to me that it did not hurt when they were removed.. There was approx 12.. Best wishes to you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register