will i gain weight? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

will i gain weight? will i gain weight?

Unread 12-30-2001, 07:55 PM
will i gain weight?

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if you gain a lot of weight after a hysterectomy?? ive heard such horror stories! My TVH [keeping ovaries] Is scheduled for Jan 17th. I have to have a lot of other repair done, so im very nervous about this also. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2001, 09:38 PM
will i gain weight?

Hi Jody!

Will you gain weight? Well, hmmm..... let me look here into my crystal ball.... (Where's Cleo when ya need her, eh?)

Really and personally, I have never seen a plausible link to weight gain from hysterectomy. Some women gain weight as a result of their specific HRT. Some women LOSE weight after hysterectomy! I have lost some weight, but if I don't stop eating all these holiday goodies and not get some regular exercise happening, I'm sure to gain it all back and then some!

And about being nervous about your upcoming castle journey - you are in very good company! It can be scary! And the waiting can be a nail-biting experience! I can relate, and I hope that everything goes very well for you. I hope it helps you to know that we are all here on the sidelines cheering you on!

s,
Unread 12-31-2001, 06:17 AM
will i gain weight?

HI Jody!

I also had TVH (kept my ovaries). Initially, I roller coastered with that. I lost about 10 lbs the first couple of weeks, then gained that back (likely due to my inactivity in recovery). Although, I am only 2 months post hyst, I think my weight has stabilized with a net loss of about 5 lbs. . (had hoped for 50Lb fibroids )! I don't think your hyst will affect your weight much. Eat sensibly and gradually resume you physical activity and you should be fine! All the best to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2001, 06:29 AM
will i gain weight?

Hi Jody! I too was SURE those fibroids weighed at least 50 lbs! I did lose about 10 after surgery (LAVH kept ovaries) BUT..... I started craveing chocolate like a mad woman and gained it all back.... I am about 7 weeks post op now and just started the treadmill this week... I used to be a runner until the pain was too much (imagine running with the feeling of a bowling ball inside..) I started out at only 1.5 mph now I'm up to 3.0 whoohoo!

Since you are having other repair work done, I would definately take it slow.... give yourself time to heal properly... we only get one chance to do that right ... so please please please take it slow.... you'll have plenty of time to burn off anything you gain.... everyone is different so you might not gain... (holidays are almost over....) Recovery time is not a good time to diet though... your body needs nourishment to heal...

It's hard not to be scared of the surgery... so many things go through your mind... we will all keep you in our prayers... soon you will be able to look back and see that every day is better than yesterday!

We'll be here for ya!

Sheila
Unread 12-31-2001, 04:09 PM
will i gain weight?

Hi Jody I didn't gain any weight...matter of fact I lost about 10 lbs. after surgery and kept it off. However, right after surgery it "looked" and "felt" like I'd gained weight..but that was just swelling from surgery and water weight.

Have to admit that was one of the things that worried me pre-op - but then, I worried about EVERYTHING pre-op.
Unread 12-31-2001, 05:17 PM
will i gain weight?

I figure I lost about five pounds...two ovaries and a uterus...and kept it off so far--three weeks post op. Considering I'm eating a lot and not exercising, that's not too bad.

I'm not on HRT, so I don't know if that helps with weight gain or loss.

Three more weeks and I will start on the treadmill, so I am hoping to lose MORE weight.
Unread 12-31-2001, 06:06 PM
will i gain weight?

Hey there, I have had SEVERAL surgeries in the past, the only ones I gained at was the ones, I would eat more than I should, & with out being able to exercise, well, you have almost a guarantee of gaining,
I just found out today, I lost 10 pounds.... (I had TAH on 12/19)
it was neat to see, but in reality, it was the fibroids & uterus that made it decrease. now it is my resp, not to over eat, until I can work out again.
If you watch what you eat, like everyday, eat what your bosy needs, not what you want, then chances are better you will be fine.
This is a major operation, so please be sure to take care of yourself, do not over due, too soon, take it step by step. We are here for you. please email me of you want, I am here for any support.
I lost 53 pounds prior to surgery, it took almost a year, but I did it, I still have lots more to go, but I know it will be done. But, for now recovery is number one, & weight loss & working out is pushed aside... I walk as my body can take it, but it is slow, & very short distances. I am only 12 days post op..... Take care, keep me posted
Unread 01-01-2002, 08:48 AM
Weight loss

Hi Jody,
I lost about 10 pounds since my surgery in August. I was not overweight to begin with but people commented how I lost weight when I returned to work. Although it's not a drastic change, it's noticeable. My clothes are looser, particularly in the waist. About 5 weeks after the surgery, I bought clothes a size smaller. I could even have bought two sizes smaller, but I figured this was a temporary weight loss and I did not want to buy a suit I would not be able to wear 6 weeks later.

I did notice that my appetite was less and that I did not crave as much sweets and junk food as prior to the surgery. That's a good thing! I'm sure this a problem some people would love to have, but I was concerned, especially since I have not been doing any real exercise (other than caring for my 6 year-old and 17 month-old).

When I spoke to my doctor about the weight loss, she told me to just eat. I don't want to pick up any more bad nutritional habits. If anything I want to take advantage of my disappearing cravings and be more health conscious about what I eat. I guess this must be the boost I need to do so. The doctor also had me take a blood test for the thyroid, just in case. However, she was not overly concerned.
Unread 01-01-2002, 11:08 AM
will i gain weight?

Boy, I haven't lost a pound, But I haven't gained any either. I whish I could say that I lost 5-10lbs, but I didn't have fibroid tumors either. Didn't my uterus weigh something though
Unread 01-01-2002, 11:12 AM
will i gain weight?

The trick will be to check weight loss after you start being active again. I can't stand exercising, but I know it's good--and now I miss it (well, sort of). We're still too early to determine weight loss or gain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register