LAVH First complication: belly button incision opened | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First complication: belly button incision opened First complication: belly button incision opened

Unread 01-17-2012, 11:05 AM
First complication: belly button incision opened

Hi,

first complication: I've been to see my surgeon yesterday.

He took out the stiches (four incisions). The one of my belly button took time to get off, as it was very tight. He put a big piece of cotton with isobetadine on it and closed the whole place with a plaster I was supposed to keep till today.

Today, I took the plaster off (he had told me I could). A few hours later, I remarked the incision was open. I don't know when it opened, because I had not really looked at it yet. I had cleaned it as instructed, but not looked at it.

I burst into tears and called the hospital. They gave me an appointment for tomorrow morning, but told me to go to the emergency room today, if I was worried. I was.

At the ER a very, very kind nurse took a look, then a ER doctor. They said it is OK, that beneath it is closed. The nurse put a isobetadine gel into the belly button and closed it with a plaster (the whole belly button). I'm still supposed to go see the doctor tomorrow morning.

I'm very down. I have bad luck with health (had three big surgeries in the last 19 years), herniated disc, very serious gum problem that causes unspeakable pain...

My recovery seemed to be going well, no pain, feeling great. Then, this. It was too good to be true and I had even posted here asking when the complications normally start, because I was already dreading something...

I'll keep you posted. Sorry for being down. I'll do my best to feel better tomorrow.

If you had the same, please, share your experience with me.

I wish you all well.

Love,
HA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Re: First complication: belly button incision opened

Oh I'm so sorry youre down and having complications. Is the incision sore or just open? I healed well from my hyst but my 2 c sections did not. The first section incision opened due to infection, it was rough and painful and had to packed for a couple of months until it was shallow enough to heal up on its own. The second time it was just open in a small spot and closed up on its own (they put steri strips back on it) in a couple of weeks without an issue. I know it's SO frustrating tobruninto complications, I hope this is very minor for you and thatbitbgels up nicely. As long as its nit infected, you should heal well soon. Hang in there!
Unread 01-18-2012, 02:49 AM

Thank you very much for your message, Pampie! Warms my heart.

I've been to the doctor today and she told me it is quite common. She looked at it and said it is OK, no infections, or anything nasty. She said it will close on its own and it can take two weeks, maybe more.

She said steri strips wouldn't solve the problem, because it is inside the navel, and that stitching again could cause infection and that they don't do it.

I'm disappointed it is "open", but I've calmed down. I have a plaster (plastic-looking, waterproof) on it and I'm supposed to go back on Friday so that the nurse can control it and put new plaster.

Did anyone had the same? How does it look like when it "closes" on its own? Did it take time with you?

Thank you, sisters, for the support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2012, 02:42 AM

Today (Friday) I'm going back to have a nurse care for my navel incision that has open. This visit was scheduled when I've seen my doctor on Tuesday.

I've taken a peek to take a few pictures and, to my dismay, there is a blackish discharge all around and over it. It is freeking me out.

I'm off now, to see the nurse and I hope she'll say something to put my mind at ease.

Please, if you had the same, share your experience with me.

- navel incision went open after stitches were taken off
- doc said it will heal on its own
- nurse cleaned and put bandage
- today I've remarked dark discharge that wasn't there before
- I've had no fever in the meantime and it doesn't smell.

Love,
HA
Unread 01-20-2012, 05:47 AM

Just back from the hospital.

The nurse told me it is normal (the discharge). I've asked and she's shown me how to clean the wound myself. She was very friendly. I asked the timeframe for healing and she guessed anything between 1-3 weeks, but she explained she was guessing. I asked if it could take months and she said "no".

I have barely any pain in the region. Even when she was cleaning, it was barely painful. I'm not sure, but it looks a tid bit less deep now (I'm not sure). I've taken pics now, but I haven't taken pics before.

I'll keep this thread updated, because it may help another sister, someday, when someone feels as lost and lonely as I do now.

Love,
HA.
Unread 01-21-2012, 04:20 AM

Just a happy update: this morning I was all set to clean my wound. When I removed the bandage, I've realized there is a scab. So, it looks pretty much like the worst is over.

I'm feeling positive and happy again! I've taken a few pics to document it.

It was a problem mostly in my mind (it scared me). If the doctor had explained to me what to expect, I wouldn't have been so upset.
Unread 01-21-2012, 06:24 AM

Happy to hear things seem better. Hopefully the worst is behind you now.
Unread 01-31-2012, 02:52 PM

I'm updating, in case a sister in the future undergoes the same problem and needs reassuring.

Today, the scab has fallen and the hole in my navel is completely closed. It doesn't look too bad, since it is inside the navel and one only will perceive if one looks for it (the scar).

The scar is a bit darker than the rest of the skin, but I believe it will fade some more. The scar is wide, but I also think it'll close a bit.

Even if it stayed the same way it is now, I'd be happy, since it is barely visible.

About cramps: I have cramps when bladder is full (it feels like it is on my left ovary) in the mornings. After emptying bladder, pains disappears.

I had also cramps before defecating, but these are gone. They were horribly strong and I'm happy they're gone.

Hugs to all and good recovery to all.

editing to add this: so, I've perceived the incision was open about one week after surgery and two weeks later (so, three weeks after surgery), it is as good as healed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register