Whats your best advice? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Whats your best advice? Whats your best advice?

Unread 01-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Whats your best advice?

TLH set for Feb 22. Looking for anyones best piece of advice/suggestion/hint to get through it all! I have been reading constantly, but still would like to hear words of wisdom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2012, 01:40 AM
Re: Whats your best advice?

1. Set your alarm the night before surgery to get up at 11pm & drink a big glass of water so your not dehydrated the next morning.
2. After surgery in the hospital ask for apple juice (if your like me & don't like prunes) apple juice helped hydrate me & helps get your bowels moving afterwords.
3. Don't pack to much if your staying over night, a small make up bag with lotion lipe balm & things. Wear the same clothes you wear in out.
4. When you get home REST if you have a rocking chair or a glider rocker sit in that instead of the soft couch..for some reason for me it feels better, I just rotate where I sit.
Best of luck, see you on the other side!
Hope this helps some
Unread 01-18-2012, 11:58 AM

Glinda82952

In addition to all AirForceWife's suggestions:

1. REST!
2. Humor is going to be your best ally.
3. REST! Learn to let go - make friends with your dust bunnies - they will be waiting when you're able to get to them.
4. We raised our sofa on concrete blocks to my hip height so I didn't have to sit 'down' on it. It worked great and I could get on and off really easy. Daughter called it my throne.
5. REST!
6. Follow all your post-op instructions. Err on the side of caution and remember, no matter how good you may feel, you are not healed. Repeat after me, "Bored and stir crazy beats repair surgery."
7. REST!

Take care and best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2012, 12:01 PM

come here everyday.
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLila View Post
Glinda82952

In addition to all AirForceWife's suggestions:

1. REST!
2. Humor is going to be your best ally.
3. REST! Learn to let go - make friends with your dust bunnies - they will be waiting when you're able to get to them.
4. We raised our sofa on concrete blocks to my hip height so I didn't have to sit 'down' on it. It worked great and I could get on and off really easy. Daughter called it my throne.
5. REST!
6. Follow all your post-op instructions. Err on the side of caution and remember, no matter how good you may feel, you are not healed. Repeat after me, "Bored and stir crazy beats repair surgery."
7. REST!

Take care and best wishes.
Your #6 cracked me up! I have a feeling this will indeed be my mantra for quite awhile!!
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:23 PM

Allow yourself to be pampered and waited on by family and friends the minute you get home.
Shower every day to keep the surgical area clean, and if you don't have a shower chair, I would suggest buying one so you can sit while showering while you are on pain medication and let someone help you in and out of the shower and also in drying you off and getting dressed and undressed until you feel safe enough to do for yourself.
Don't "think" you can do more than what you are physically able to do just because you feel guilty that someone else has to do things for you...let the guilt go and be glad someone loves you enough to want to help you (my husband absolutely spoiled me)!
Start with stool softener when you get home (Miralax worked well for me), and don't strain yourself trying to poop the first time...sit and patiently let it work itself down and out...even if you have to sit on the toilet for awhile.
Follow the advice of your physician following post-op instructions!!
I am a little over 2 weeks post-op and I feel pretty darn good, and I contribute it to my wonderful husband and doctor's advice and my own common sense in listening to what my body is telling me I can and can't do.
The recliner in the living room has also been my best friend since coming home.
Most of us women do not put ourselves first, but in having surgery, please do think of yourself during the weeks of recovery...you deserve it!
Unread 01-22-2012, 01:09 PM

Thank you all!!!!!!!!!
Unread 01-22-2012, 02:31 PM

The best "tools" I found for my recovery:
1. a toilet riser (a godsend!)
2. a grabber tool (to grab up things that fall on the floor. Got mine at Target.) Hang the grabber tool on a nail on the wall when you're not using it. You don't want to chance it falling down and you can't pick it up.
3. Lots of pairs of granny underwear (no low cut bikinis that sit over incision points).
4. I also found one of those bed rest pillows that allow you to read in bed a godsend. My incision hurts too much to lay flat in bed. I'm sleeping sitting up against one of those pillows and sleeping like a baby. It also makes it easier to get out of bed too. Also, I'm sleeping sitting up so I can clear my lungs and not have mucus created by the aenesthia process get trapped in the back of my throat causing me to cough or choke. There is no pain in this world than coughing when you have an incision which leads to last but super important tool...
5. A small pillow you can grab onto to hold when you cough or laugh. Have it nearby at all times.
Unread 01-22-2012, 03:16 PM

After my lap chole (gallbladder removal), I was mentally out of it afterwards and as I was dragging myself to the wheelchair to leave, a blond nurse about my age (52) said to me (and I heard it even with a boatload of morphine in me, plus the effects of anesthesia): "Go slowly. It's okay to go slowly. There's no harm in that." I needed to hear this because I'm an anxious person who runs around trying to do everything at once even when I'm swimming upstream. I remembered what she said through all my lap chole recovery and again a month later, after my TLH, those same words kept coming to me when I could hardly think straight: "Do it slowly. It's okay to go slowly."
Unread 01-22-2012, 03:26 PM

Question on granny panties...how many sizes bigger than normal did you get?v

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register