Cervix-take it or leave it? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix-take it or leave it? Cervix-take it or leave it?

Unread 01-17-2012, 11:55 PM
Cervix-take it or leave it?

I am a post-menopausal 55 year old who needs my uterus removed due to concern over pre-cancerous findings. Since I am post-menopausal, I agreed to have my ovaries and tubes removed as well, since who needs them? My surgeon suggested removing the cervix, too, mostly as a precaution so I don't need to worry about anything in the future.

But now, I'm wondering, I didn't really consider the role of the cervix structurally. She is going to do some sort of a bladder sling to keep the bladder in place with the loss of the cervix, and because my uro-dynamic study confirmed minor stress incontinence. But, since I have no issues with my cervix, no abnormal Paps or anything, should I go ahead and have the cervix removed as well? What are the pro's and con's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Re: Cervix-take it or leave it?

I kinda feel like with the pre-cancerous findings why keep a cervix and risk cervical cancer? Make sure you understand what they will be doing for your vagina. If they take out the cervix they typically do a vaginal cuff which "closes off" the top of the vagina.

I had a procedure called a sacral colpopexy where the vaginal is attached to the sacrum with mesh. It is also called a vaginal vault procedure I believe. My uro gyno explained that with out that support, the vagina could prolapse in on itself. She said it would be like a sock turning inside out! NO THANKS!

I am 8 weeks post-op from all the repairs which took 5 1/2 hours and they also found uterine cancer on the post op pathology. I feel so great and am so happy with my repairs and condition. I wish you the best! Keep asking questions and it should never be too late to change your mind and feel comfortable about your choices!
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:59 AM

My surgery is tomarrow (check that, TODAY!) and my doctor called me at 1:00pm today and asked if we were keeping it or not. I just wasn't sure and needed more time to think about it. So I would say it is not too late to change your mind. Make the decision you want! I decided to let mine go. My fibroid is growing right next to it and I don't want to risk any uterine tissue being left behind and having a re-growth of tissue, which could lead to more problems. Even w/out a uterus. So long cervix, I say! good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2012, 01:03 AM

I wish you the best on your surgery tomorrow, and hopefully a speedy recovery. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Unread 01-18-2012, 01:05 AM

I feel so dumb! I never even discussed this with my surgeon, have no idea about vaginal cuffs or what happens with the cervix gone. Thankfully, I have one more week to research this and make a decision!
Unread 01-18-2012, 01:54 AM

Don't feel dumb! We have lived all our lives without ever having to know about any of this! Just happens to become important when it's your "parts" in the operating room, right? Ha!

As always, look around plenty and talk to your doctor before you make any decisions.
Unread 01-18-2012, 05:16 AM

I too will be interested to hear peoples opinions on this. It is something that I want to discuss with my Dr. I undersatand from other posts that it effects the ability to Orgasm! I hope not! Is there any other reasons to keep it?
Unread 01-18-2012, 09:52 AM

I can understand your concerns about whether or not to keep your cervix. I personally cannot tell you what will be best for you in your situation. I can only tell you about my experience.

A few years ago, I had an abnormal pap come back and I found out that I had carcinoma in situ (some doctors classify that as pre-cancer and others classify it as cervical cancer stage 0). I had a cervical conization done to remove the cells, and my did a great job of getting it all. I never had an abnormal pap again.

When I found out I was going to have to have a hysterectomy, my doctor asked if I planned on keeping my cervix. For me the answer was easy. I wanted it gone. I had already had one scare and I didn't think I could deal with another one, so I opted to have mine removed.

As far as prolapse, yes there is a risk of bladder prolapse, and vaginal prolapse, but I really don't think it is a "common" occurrence.

Some women do experience a change in their orgasms after having their cervix removed. I have a change in mine as well....mine got BETTER!! They are more intense and happen more frequently. Every woman is different and unfortunately you cannot predict how this will effect you.

This is a personal decision that only you can make. Do research it and do talk to your doctor about it. You will want to make an informed decision.

to you.

Sending you Big
Unread 01-18-2012, 11:45 AM

That is good to hear. I have only heard people say negative things about having their cervix removed, or just that is has made no difference. It is nice to hear something positive.
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April 1965 View Post
That is good to hear. I have only heard people say negative things about having their cervix removed, or just that is has made no difference. It is nice to hear something positive.

One thing for all of you ladies to keep in mind:

Most of the Post-op forum is for support for women that are having difficulties or complications. So yes, you will likely see more bad things about a removal of cervix than good, but I assure you, there are success stories out there as well. I am one of them, and I know there are many more!!

Try not to base any decision solely on what you read, this decision needs to be made by you and your doctor for your individual situation.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register