dVH/RALH Kept my ovaries....why do I feel menopause symptoms?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Kept my ovaries....why do I feel menopause symptoms?? Kept my ovaries....why do I feel menopause symptoms??

Unread 01-18-2012, 06:15 AM
Kept my ovaries....why do I feel menopause symptoms??

I am 8 days out and feeling great with the pain. However; I have hot flashes, insomnia and out of control night sweats. It sounds like menopause symptoms, but I got to keep my ovaries so I am kinda confused. Anyone else feeling this...is it normal or am I just slowly losing my mind-wait a minute I've already lost that though!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2012, 06:41 AM
Re: Kept my ovaries....why do I feel menopause symptoms??

I was the same for about a week - 10 days. Sopping night sweats, headaches! Then my ovaries got back "online". I am now tracking my basal body temperature daily to see if I am ovulating. It will take a couple months of tracking to see a pattern so I can't really say yet....
Unread 01-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Your ovaries could just be sleeping. I did nt have any issues with those but insomnia yes....I found napping during the day was too much sleep for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippinhill View Post
I am 8 days out and feeling great with the pain. However; I have hot flashes, insomnia and out of control night sweats. It sounds like menopause symptoms, but I got to keep my ovaries so I am kinda confused. Anyone else feeling this...is it normal or am I just slowly losing my mind-wait a minute I've already lost that though!!!!!
I'm now 5 weeks post op and also kept my ovaries. I had the same symptoms for at least 10 days, terrible night sweats, nausea, insomnia, tenderness of the breast and didn't feel like eating. It was a mixture of pre-menstrual / menopause and early stages of pregnancy. Apparently, it is normal as the ovaries try find their role without the womb. I also read that the intestines can 'freeze' for a while as well. That's why this site is so good because you do feel that you're losing your mind, that it is only happening to you and then you'll read that we've all been through similar experiences.
Hope the rest of your healing goes well.
Unread 01-18-2012, 06:22 PM

Thank you so much ladies...love this site!!!! It is so good to know what I am experiencing is normal!!!! Speedy recovery and well wishes to all
Unread 01-18-2012, 06:23 PM

Often the blood supply to your ovaries is either temporarily disrupted or permanently interrupted. It depends on how your ovaries were supplied with blood as we are not all "wired" the same way. This diagram will help you understand the different configurations that exist in terms of blood supply to the ovaries. If you are one of the ladies who have their ovaries completely fed by the uterine arteries, you could have a permanent interruption since the uterine arteries are cut and tied off during a hysterectomy. This would definitely cause menopausal symptoms. If your ovaries are fed by both the ovarian arteries and the uterine arteries, it takes time for your ovaries to get used to only getting blood from the ovarian arteries and that also would be why you would be getting menopausal symptoms. The ladies who have their ovaries fed by solely the ovarian artery do not experience any changes and are the lucky ones that fly through this.
Unread 01-18-2012, 06:56 PM

Hi! I am so glad you are feeling pain free since your surgery!
Five years ago, I had one ovary removed with my hysterectomy, and experienced severe hot flashes, night sweats, and insomnia. It did resolve slowly within a couple of weeks.
I think the body gets so shocked when it undergoes a major surgery, and the ovaries are the first to be affected when a hysterectomy has been performed.
Good luck, and know that this will pass!
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:28 PM

My ovaries went to "sleep" for 3 months after my surgery. And the "woke-up" slowly. Now after 3 years....going strong.

Speedy healing!!!
Unread 01-19-2012, 02:42 AM

Hi i had my operation sept 2011 i had both ovaries left in. I have felt no different at all to before except no pain and no periods. I am 44 I dont know if age has anything to do with it ??
Unread 01-19-2012, 02:42 AM

DanniII3, would the doctor know which blood supply configuration to my ovaries I have after having surgery?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register