Scheduled TLH Surgery Friday.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Friday.. Surgery Friday..

Unread 01-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Surgery Friday..

I don't know why, but I haven't been nervous until now. I am a RN and my previous job was to take care of post-op hysterectomy patients. I know the exact routine my doctor has for me after surgery.

Today it hit me though. I am having life-altering surgery at age 24. I am suddenly paralyzed with fear. I can't stop thinking about complications that could come (and very well NEVER happen) after.

I just gave birth September 23rd, 2011. I had a 4th degree tear, 116 stitches, infection, etc. I am now terrified to go through any type of pain and agony like that again. The thought of being away from my home for even one night is making me insane.

Anyone else feeling the same? I am ready to be past the pain/bleeding/etc, but very nervous at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Re: Surgery Friday..

You will be fine! I am 8 days post op, and already feel so good. Keep your Faith, and he will carry you thru! It will all be ok. ((HUGS))
Unread 01-18-2012, 09:24 PM

The way you feel is completely understandable. You're very young and I'm sure when you were planning for your baby, a hysterectomy was not part of those plans. And being a medical professional can be a blessing and a curse. You know what to expect but then you've also seen when things go wrong. And spending a night away from my newborn baby would be VERY difficult for me to deal with. Know that we're here to support you and answer any questions you may have. You can do this and you will be fine. And then you'll have a long and happy and healthy life with your baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2012, 10:36 PM

Hey EMPRN
I just had my TLH monday and was consumed with nerves and the "what if's" fears. I AM 2 FULL DAYS POST OP AND AM ACHY AND SOAR BUT FINALLY MY HEAD "MY THOUGHTS" IS GOOD. I FEEL 100% BETTER MAYBE NOT PHYSICALLY YET BUT MENTALLY THE NERVES ARE GONE! JUST TAKE EASY 1 OVER NIGHT IN THE HOSP REALLY HELPED ME REST UP AND ASSURED ME WHEN I DID COME HOME THAT I AM HEALTHY JUST HEALING.
BEST OF LUCK I AM SURE ALL WILL BE FINE I WILL KEEP YOU IN MY PRAYERS FOR PEACE OF MIND FOR YOU!
Unread 01-19-2012, 12:46 PM

Hi EMPRN, My surgery is not until mid Feb but I go through phases of feeling exactly like you do. I have "lived through" the whole experience in my head many times already and paralyzed with fear is a good way to describe it.

Belive it or not you will be home before you know it - and I am sure you will feel very relieved that the op is over and you can look forward to getting better every day and enjoying a wonderful summer with your baby.

Being nervous is absolutely normal.

Wishing you all the very best for tomorrow.

Kind regards
Unread 01-19-2012, 01:35 PM

I know how you feel , Its my TAH tomorrow and I am terrified about everything possible I just want to get it over with.
Im glad you only have to spend 1 night away from your baby Im stuck in hospital for 4+ days so not looking forward to it one bit..
My children are abit older so can look after themselves with the help of my boyfriend but I have still told them No parties while Im away lol...
I have cleaned all morning to try and keep my mind off things it helped while I was busy but the minute I stopped it all came flooding back all the panic and the what if's...

All my friends have said good luck and how I will be ok and I say thankyou but they don't understand how Im feeling cause none of them have had this op.. Im 36 with 3 children I would of liked one child with my now boyfriend my love of my life but he knows its not going to happen and he is brilliant with my boys my youngest who has never seen his dad says he is just like a dad to him which warms my heart..

Anyway Im babling on abit to much .. Im affraid its my nerves my stomach is doing summersaults and Im feeling sick with worry..
Good luck on your op tomorrow I'll be thinking of you..

Hugs xx
Amanda
Unread 01-19-2012, 01:45 PM

Hi EMPRN! I am so sorry that you are having to go through this at such a young age. I certainly can understand the fear that you are experiencing and I think its normal for anyone facing surgery to feel this way but expecially someone so young.

I am having surgery tomorrow also. I will be thinking of you and hope all goes well.
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:52 PM

Being in medicine is great but then not. I heard the med staff say " quick little pinch" or " this will feel odd" same things I said a million times my self. We're they true? Yes, but I'd never had a catheter before or abdominal incisions so how could I know? Top that off with everything we know could go wrong. My staff was awesome! They knew I knew everything but still walked me through it like I didn't. It was great to have someone hold my hand when I got my IV. You have the potential for waking up with a Betadine heart or a smiley face traced on your belly, it will make you smile. Good luck and know how much this experience will help the ladies you'll be taking care again once you are back at work.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register