dVH/RALH Is my Doctor Crazy? or am I afraid? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is my Doctor Crazy? or am I afraid? Is my Doctor Crazy? or am I afraid?

Unread 01-19-2012, 03:55 AM
Is my Doctor Crazy? or am I afraid?

I had a daVinchi Hysterectomy 5 days ago and my Doctor says I can go back to work, drive "do anything now". My body is saying not yet! I know the daVinchi is known to be a great procedure but nonetheless, it is surgery. I told him I would let him know when I'm ready for work in our 3 week followup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2012, 04:36 AM
Re: Is my Doctor Crazy? or am I afraid?

Wow, I also had a davinci. I kept my cervix, and in that case they do release you early....but I didn't get released till 4 weeks. I think you should listen to your body and take it easy, I had a lot of pain the second week just from walking around the house. My third week I could drive and do a lot, but got tired really quickly, and had pain in the evening if I did too much. By week four, the pain was mostly gone, but the swelly Belly and the fatique were more prominant than ever, since I had gone back to work. Now at 6 weeks, I still get tired quickly, and tend to have swelly belly in the evenings if I have been really active.

That said, every person heals diferently. Treat yourself well, and listen to your body. You will be healing for the next several months at least, so remember that.
Best wishes for complete healing!
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:44 AM

I had a TVH so I have no experience with that procedure but I would listen to your body, if you are tired, rest. You know your body better then your Dr. and if you don't feel up to go back then stay home and rest, build your self up slowly go back when you are ready. I went back in 4 weeks, first day was very tiring for me but I did well the whole day! So you will know when you can work full time without having any issues.

Best of Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2012, 06:07 AM

My doctor was pretty liberal with when I could go back to work too. I had an LSH, kept my cervix. He said 10 days most women go back to work, and then at 3 weeks most women say they feel like they have had a complete recovery. I went back at 12 days and I feel like I should have waited a few more days. It was way too uncomfortable. I would wait 3 weeks if you can.

I would love to meet these "most women". I am at exactly my 4 week mark, and by no means am I feeling real pain, but I still have some dull cramps and some pinchy twinges, and definitely still have swelly belly, no jeans for me.
So to make a long story short, I agree with the other sisters that posted already. Just take care of yourself and get as much rest as you need.
Unread 01-19-2012, 06:12 AM

I had the Davinci 2 days ago. I honestly could not imagine resuming normal daily activities at 5 days. My incisions are incredibly sore, and the gas pains are intense. My discharge instructions are no driving for at least 10 days and only if I am no longer taking medication. Also no lifting, pushing, pulling anything heavier than a gallon of milk for 6 weeks. I had everything removed, uterus, cervix, both tubes, and 1 ovary. I also had to have a bladder sling. I am 32 and a rather quick healer. I would listen to your body and take it easy.
Unread 01-19-2012, 11:05 AM

I had a da Vinci and my original gyn told me I'd totally back to normal in 2 weeks but no sex for 6 weeks. He was unable to do my surgery so his partner did. She said no work until week 4 and then part time and to add time over the next 2 weeks as I could. I was released for sex at 8 weeks IF I felt I could and she kept my weight restriction in place until week 12. You know what you can do. Our doctors, I believe, follow the literature if those who sell the robot. And, yes I'd like to meet these " most women" too!
Unread 01-19-2012, 11:13 AM

No offense, but I think your doc is crazy.

Listen to your body. Don't over do things just because they said it was ok. You will regret it, the doctor won't.
Unread 01-19-2012, 11:52 AM

I"m going to be 5 weeks davinci tomorrow, just now feeling I'll be ready to go back to work.

Sorry to be so blunt, we are always totally honest on here: I think you Dr is insane!!!!!!!!!! (Is it a male Dr. by chance?)

I'm only feeling maybe up to it today as I rest ALOT.

Davinci to me is only smaller/quicker healing external incisions. Same things done internally, and from reading on here, takes 6-12 MONTHS to heal fully internally. Please be carefull, and if you don't feel 100% ready at your 3 week, be up front about it and ask for a few more weeks-PLEASE.
Good Luck.
Unread 01-19-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltec View Post
No offense, but I think your doc is crazy.

Listen to your body. Don't over do things just because they said it was ok. You will regret it, the doctor won't.

I concur.....that sounds crazy.
Unread 01-19-2012, 03:39 PM

Be afraid. Be very afraid. Rather, be sensible. Your doctor has indeed bought into a sales pitch and you have to be your own advocate. Will he be there for you when you need repair surgery? No, he'll hide behind his lawyers. Take care of you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register