New To Group and Terrified - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New To Group and Terrified New To Group and Terrified

Unread 01-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Re: New To Group and Terrified

I am sorry you are feeling stressed about this. I am 30 and opted for the hyster because my life has been greatly halted due to my uterine issues. I am looking forward to having my uterus out, healing up and then being back into the swing of things. I guess a few things I have learned thus far are

1) The internet is going to be riddled with horror stories because as you will hear time and time again: Those who have had successful surgeries are not on the internet still dwelling on it; They are out living their lives to the fullest. It is those who have had bad experiences that are online still concerned, still discussing it, and still dealing with it. There are some lovely ladies on here that are doing wonderfully who are trying to counteract that stereotype. Just take what you read with a grain of salt. There are extreme cases posted on the net, but no one really posts long drawn out stories if it was an uneventful as-expected experience.

2) Having surgery sucks. It does. Plainly put, no one wants it but half the battle is in your viewpoint. There is strength in willpower. I feel that if I personally going into it expecting the worst, that is what I will get but if I go in ready to roll with the punches- so to speak- that I will overcome this. I know there will be struggles along the way, but I am not willing to let my fear defeat me. I know part of my strength comes from my children. They are still young so I want them to see Mommy strong and unafraid and smiling, so I do understand your side of it. I do. But I am glad my kids are here to force me to smile even when I don't want to, because them making me want to be brave in turn is making me feel braver.

3) pain medicine has come a long way over the years so I think as long as you are open with your doctors and communicate before, during and after your pain levels, that your pain can be managed.

4) Deep breaths. Come here often for support (these ladies are truly wonderful) Cry if you need to. Scream if you want. But feel free to be 100% honest here of how you feel. No one here will judge you because chances are, there are several how feel exactly the same

and lastly (((((hugs)))))

Try to focus on the empowering threads here. The tips, the advice and the support and not so much on the internet horror stories. Welcome to the boards. It's sad that you have to be with us, but I am so glad you found us (and that I found you all too)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2012, 09:52 PM

Its very hard waiting,l cant wait till ots all done and lm on recoverymode,anyone else.out there going.through waiting,sucks life gets put on hold,thanks ladies ,girls for input ,Brenda
Unread 01-21-2012, 02:29 PM

Oh my I sure do understand your fear and anxiety! I cried uncontrollably in my doctor's office parking lot after finding out that I needed a hysterectomy. I let myself cry, went home, and found this site. I read everything I possibly could find and watched videos of the procedure that I was about to have. It took me several weeks before I was mentally prepared to go through with the surgery and I was still scared to death. It was my first surgery ever! I was given valium right before surgery which helped a great deal! I just want you to know that the best way to conquer your fears is to express them, lean on others, and know that the medical staff will take great care of you. Good luck and I'm wishing you a quick, uneventful recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2012, 04:15 PM

gigi, dont get yourself stressed out. find someone who does the Laparoscopic surgery. I had it done in a hospital 2 hours away.it is so worth it.
i was scared to death about the pain myself and there was no reason to be. in recovery i had cramps no pain. even though my cramping wasnt bad they still gave me major painkillers just in case. good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register