Scheduled dVH/RALH Scared, and Nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared, and Nervous Scared, and Nervous

Unread 01-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Scared, and Nervous

Hello Everyone!
My name is Larissa, and I am having the Davinci surgery on March 20, 2012...and I have to say that I am somewhat relieved, but I am also scared to death at the same time.

I heard that the hospital stay is 24 hours, but suppose I feel that I am not ready to go home in 24 hours what then??

Please help...I am also wondering if th pain is horrible after surgery...

Thanks everyone

All responses will be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Re: Scared, and Nervous

Hi, Larissa. It is my understanding that you can tell them you are not ready to go home, and they would let you stay. Talk to your doctor about this. He or she should be able to tell you about what the hospital would do.

The pain varies from woman to woman. When you wake up from surgery, they will ask you how bad your pain is. You tell them and then they give you medication to match your pain level. They want to manage your pain because you heal better if you are not in pain, but they rely on you to tell them how bad it hurts.

I had moderately severe pain (I had a TAH), but it was controllable with narcotics and 600 mg Motrin for the first week, and then just 600 mg Motrin after that.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:42 PM

Hi Larissa, I just had my DaVinci last week & I was in the same place you are. Let me just say that a week ago today I thought I'd never feel better again. But I feel great, a little sore today cause I did a lot of walking & kind of tired (you'll have that). I stayed over night & I can't imagine some women go home same day..I'm glad I was in the hospital, but I was up & ready to go the next day.
The pain after surgery in the recovery room where they woke me up was bad (not gonna lie) just bad cramping like a period they had to give me 3shots right there..1 tordal, 2 dalitin (sp)..didn't work so well BUT when I got to my room there were 3 nurses just waiting to help me, I got ANOTHER shot this time demoral (sp) & phenergan & a vicoden by mouth..FINALLY I felt better. To tell you the truth I slept most of the day & felt just fine with the pain meds they gave me. I was not up at all the first day/night had a cathiter (sp) all night they took it out in the AM (did not hurt) got up to pee right away.
Just drink LOTS of water post op & apple juice (my suggestion lol).

You will do fine! I hope this helps you out. We'll see you on the other side of it! Sorry about all the spelling mistakes!! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2012, 09:02 AM

dont know about davinci had abdonamal hysterectomy tuesday, was given epidural and have only been on paracetamol for pain since drink plenty of water and tell your nursing staff about your pain dont suffer i was home thursday just rest and youll be fine, good luck
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:27 PM

Larissa don't worry! I had a DaVinci on 01/10 and it was very easy. I was scared to death about SO many things. Nausea, pain, staying away from my kids, waking up from surgery, the list just continued it seemed.
They gave me a patch behind my ear for nausea that really helped. The incisions that were on my tummy after surgery where never discussed. I woke up complaining my tummy was achy and it was because I had 4 incisions from one side to the other that were small. I thought vaginal removal meant vaginal removal. There is a tummy binder (wrap) you can get before surgery or at the hospital and I highly recommend this.
Relax, drink lots of fluids, tell them if you are in pain and tell your doctor and nurses ALL of your concerns. I am 10 days post and feel great, just need my naps in the afternoon because you are really tired. See you on the other side!
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:53 PM

I had lavh and I had pain only during some hours after waking up from anesthesy. The first night was already good and I stopped pain medication.

I have a minor complication with one of the lap incisions (the navel one), but barely any pain at all.

Good luck!!!
Unread 01-20-2012, 02:04 PM

I also had Davinci and found myself checking with the nurses to make sure they were going to release me - so they won't push you out. They have a whole checklist of things you have to have passed before they will even consider letting you go.

The pain is different just like everyone said. It is also true that you really cannot judge what pain level you will have based on your general pain threshold. So that aspect you will have to wait and let it be your surprise.

I was amazed how much I could move and the strength I had after the surgery. I had the surgery at 8:30 am and was walking a couple laps around the nurses station by 9pm. I was surprised when I learned mine was considered outpatient even though I was staying overnight. But in the end I found that I really did not need more time and preferred to be home than hooked up to IVs etc.
Good Luck!
Unread 01-20-2012, 02:55 PM

Hi Larissa!

I just stopped by to wish you the best as you approach your surgery date. No doubt, this is a major event, so I think it's reasonable to feel nervous and scared! I agree with the others; a hospital will not typically discharge a patient until she's ready in addition to a checklist of items that have to be satisfied prior. Many people are SO ready to get out of there and get to the comfort of their own home; maybe you'll end up feeling like that, too.

Wishing you the best! Hope you stick around and read the many posts of others who are in your same shoes here!

Unread 01-20-2012, 03:31 PM

I had a TLH Monday. The pain was unbearable the first night, better each day since, and I haven't taken anything today (Friday). Will probably take something tonight to be on the safe side so I don't get behind on it. I'm sure everybody is different, and you probably won't know until you are there. If you do have pain, just be sure to stay ahead of it-don't wait until it's really bad to take meds or you will have trouble getting comfortable again. Good luck!
Unread 01-21-2012, 08:26 AM

no worries... its not bad at all. im on my 4th day of recovery. less invasive surgery, hardly any blood loss and recovery time cut in half. i havent even spotted afterward. after reading some posts i was scared to death. after surgery i felt like i had period cramps. also was hard to get in and out of bed because stomach was sore. its so important to take your pain med whether you think you need them or not and follow all the doctors orders!
good luck. you in good hands with da vinci

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register