Scheduled LAVH Is it better to leave my ovaries in or get them out? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is it better to leave my ovaries in or get them out? Is it better to leave my ovaries in or get them out?

Unread 01-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Is it better to leave my ovaries in or get them out?

Hello everyone! I am scheduled for surgery on Feb. 14th! (yeah I know Happy Valentines day to me!...) Anyway, the doctor has me scheduled in to have my ovaries removed, but I still have time to change my mind and keep them. I have been doing some research and have found that it might be better for me to leave them in.
Studies show that even though less hormones are produced, they can protect you from bone loss, and help to keep your libido. Also, women who have them removed before 65 are at a higher risk of stroke and heart disease. He suggested having them out because of risks of ovarian cancer, but it seems to me that the risks are higher having them out. So what do you think? I still have time to change my procedure....thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Re: Is it better to leave my ovaries in or get them out?

Is there maybe a reason you would be more at risk?

I chose to keep. I like the idea of natural hormones and being "pill free".

If you're at an age close to menopause that may not be as important to you.

Loads of reasons to keep or to remove and loads of posts here on both... scroll thru the archives, lots of great advice!
Unread 01-20-2012, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the quick response Inva! There is no reason that I would be more at risk. I wonder if it is easier for the doctor to remove everything then to leave the ovaries in. I see you had an LAVH as well. If you don't mind me asking... Did you have any complications? I worry about the stitches in the vaginal canal..i.e. infection and does this affect sex...I mean the canal will be shorter right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2012, 09:52 PM

I ready an article, (it may have even been on this site), that commented on the vagina's ability to hold a tampon or spread to the point of passing a child. So dont be concerned about it even if you have a rather "large" mate.
Unread 01-20-2012, 09:58 PM

thanks for your response bananahater...lol cute name..sorry I love bananas! I did read that in the intimacy forums about the stretching thing.
Unread 01-21-2012, 03:36 AM

Hi Chill!

I go just a few days before you (Feb. 7) and will be having my ovaries removed as well. If You scroll down a bit you'll see a recent thread called "Rethinking the ovaries". That's mine, and there're a lot of great responses in there.

I am 48, have Stage 1 cervical cancer, have a very strong history of cancer in the family and have been in peri for 6 very long years. I have sought 2nd 3rd, 4th, 5th, opinions on the ovary issue and am now at peace with my decision. I think I will do just fine on estrogen.

There is SO much information out there and it's so easy to get overwhelmed and confused! If you're unsure, ask your Dr. to clarify WHY s/he is removing them. You are entitled to know! And I had the same question for one of my Drs....is it just easier to remove the whole shebang than to leave them? (asnswer: no...just a few more sutures)

Write all these questions down before your pre-op. Have pen and paper handy to record what he says so you'll remember later on!

Good luck!
-Fish
Unread 01-21-2012, 08:18 AM

I am 11 days post op. I had the hyster in the first place because of a large cyst on my left ovary, and left tube being inflamed to a large size. I had agreed on cervix, uterus, and right tube to be taken as well. Then, about a week before the surgery told my doc to go ahead and take that right ovary as well.......take it all. I am only 38. I did not want in 6 mos to a year, something to go wrong with that one ovary.....and another surgery. They have put me on estrogen gel, that I apply on my arm, and everything is going well. You have plenty of time to decide.....just wanted to give you another situation.
Unread 01-21-2012, 08:36 AM

Hi Ladies, my op was 1st july 2011. I had the option of keeping or removing my overies and i chose to keep them. I had two very large fibroids which weighed 8lb when removed,They also removed my uterus, cervix, i feel if there is nothing wrong with your overies then keep them, but that is only my views hun, as ppl are saying you have plenty of time to decide. good luck hun you will be fine .
Unread 01-21-2012, 09:48 AM

Hi hun, my name is shantel and I am having a RALH on Tue. I am 25 and have been dealing with cervical cancer on and off since I was 14, now I have a large mass in my uterus. The OB that I see is considered top notch for where I am from. She has written many books on hysterectomies and much more. This is what she specializes in, and even travels to different areas of the world when someone asks for her. She has decided it is best if I keep mine. Ovarian cancer is not on her list of concerns even with my history. She said once she gets in she will remove anything that is on them that shouldnt be, and have them tested. She says it is best to keep them if you have that choice. Hope this helps. See you on the other side
Unread 01-21-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillaxingchic View Post
Thanks for the quick response Inva! There is no reason that I would be more at risk. I wonder if it is easier for the doctor to remove everything then to leave the ovaries in. I see you had an LAVH as well. If you don't mind me asking... Did you have any complications? I worry about the stitches in the vaginal canal..i.e. infection and does this affect sex...I mean the canal will be shorter right?
I was advised the shortness is quite minor to no different, as the cervix is being removed, and it is taking up some space now as well. Personally, I can't tell any difference, sex is not different in that reguard. (much better in many others!)

I did have the complication I think you're worrying over. Developed a strep infection in the cuff at about 3 weeks out. It was a major set back, though I had no pain, and no idea anything was wrong until visiting the Dr. I was ready to go back to work, then boom, on bed rest as my stitches were being dissolved by the infection too quickly. Pretty nasty antibotics to clear it up. :-( My recovery from 3-6 weeks was just getting that infection taken care of. I'm not going to sugar coat it, it was hard and depressing. I'd gladly go through it again to be rid of the troubles I had before surgery. The girls here really helped pull me through.

Even with that set back, I was completely healed, released for all, and completed a 50 mile race 12 weeks post op. :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register