Women who don't care about their care? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Women who don't care about their care? Women who don't care about their care?

Unread 01-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Re: Women who don't care about their care?

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents as far as recovery times they expect. I had a TAH and LSO and am 6 weeks post op. I got clearance yesterday to resume all activities. Cuff and incision fully healed. I still need to be careful with lifting certain weights and am dealing with menopause but am otherwise good to go. So it's not an unrealistic expectation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2012, 06:42 PM

OMGoodness! I did my share of reading up on what I had (da Vinci/vag) and had all but the R ovary removed. Since I have also had 3 major OPEN abdominal surgeries in the past 5 years, I knew very well what to do, what to [possibly] expect, and what NOT to do. Each surgery was different, and much different than this one... I couldn't fathom resuming things "as was" by Week #6!!! I'm at Week 3 now, and am just getting up and around...I took a short walk on Thursday, and had to spend Friday in bed! I'm one who doesn't recover well from surgery. Everyone is different, I suppose... I hope that your friends know what they are getting themselves into.
Unread 01-21-2012, 08:41 PM

I am someone who usually is on the internet whenever I have any little question about anything. As I was going through all the diagnostic stuff before my cancer diagnosis, I was reading everything I could get my hands on. Once I got the news, however, I think I just shut down. It was before Christmas and I was really busy and then we had a big trip planned afterwards and I was, like, "I just don't have time for this." My daughter was really upset and scared and couldn't believe my reaction. She kept asking me if I had "checked out." And I guess I had. Since then, however, I have been obsessed with needing to know what went on during the surgery. It has really hit me that this major event happened to me and I wasn't present for it. So I think we all have our own reactions - some anticipated and some totally not. And I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm one of those who didn't know anything about a vaginal cuff until I got on this site AFTER my surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2012, 09:18 PM

I read something SO helpful in a wonderful book called, "Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster". The author said there are two types of people when it comes to this: Planners and Avoiders.

As a lifelong Planner, it makes perfect sense to me to thoroughly prepare. One of my best friends is an Avoider. Even though I can't relate to it, I respect that she is following her instinct to do what is best for her. Too much information makes her feel anxious and causes stress which is not a good thing to do to your body, especially prior to major surgery. I respect that her needs are entirely different from my own even though I can't imagine not being in control to whatever extent possible. Then there are situations in life when we all find ourselves responding in ways we might never expect. Things that threaten and remind of us our mortality have a way of doing that!

There is an amazing program out there by an author called Carol Tuttle and she does this "energy profiling" which is kind of like personality profiling combined with fashion and beauty advice, called, "Dressing Your Truth". She groups people into one of four different types based on facial features, and as crazy as it sounds, it is amazingly accurate and has been truly life-changing for me! I have learned so much about myself as a Type 4 (perfecting) and how I relate to other types. It has improved every relationship I have, truly wonderful stuff! You can find excellent videos from her (Carol Tuttle DYT Type) or (Dressing Your Truth) on Youtube.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register