ovaries after "coma" phase | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovaries after "coma" phase ovaries after "coma" phase

Unread 01-20-2012, 09:41 PM
ovaries after "coma" phase

If everything goes as planned, I should be keeping my ovaries. I have read mutilple times about the ovaries going into a shut down mode after the hysterectomy. Does anyone know how long this lasts?

And if they start back up does the vaginal begin lubricate on its own?

Is lubrication based on estrogen? Or does it have something to do with the cervix? (Mine cervix is coming out.)

My sex life is what I am worried about the most. My husband isn'tvery good at displays of emotion and I don't want to lose the connection we have when..... well you know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Re: ovaries after "coma" phase

It took me a few days after surgery to realize I was having hot flashes. My doctor didn't discuss the fact that the ovaries can temporarily shut down following surgery. For me, it only lasted for a couple of weeks..hot flashes, little sadness, only one episode crying. I am 5 weeks post op and feel great!! AT the post op appointment, my doctor said that I will still ovulate, and I haven't had any issues of vaginal dryness since about week 3.
Unread 01-21-2012, 09:11 AM

Not everyone's ovaries shut down after surgery, so I wouldn't focus on that too much. From everything I've read here, if they do shut down, it seems to only last a few weeks. .

I'm not really sure where the lubrication comes from, but before surgery, I had almost no lubrication for about the last year. I haven't gotten the ok for intercourse yet, but I can tell you, my lubrication is back in business! My husband jokes that the doctor must have reconnected a hose that had come undone in the last year! I also had no sex drive for years, and about a week after surgery, it was all I could think about! So far for me, this surgery has been the best thing I could have done.

Best of luck to you with your surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2012, 11:53 AM

I am scared too about my sex live after. I have canceled surgery a few times, because I was too scared. Now I have no choice. One of my fibroids has passed my cervix and I am 4cm dilated and fully effaced. I feel more at peace about having it now that I am forced into it. But I dont want to loose my sex life either. But if I don't have it done I could die, so I will have it.
Unread 01-21-2012, 05:18 PM

I don't think there is any medical science that says your ovaries shut down , fall asleep etc ... And I have looked. I had 1 ovary cleaned up during my LSH and I ovulated on schedule 1 week later .
Unread 01-21-2012, 05:21 PM

Mine never shut down... hormones went into overdrive after the surgery, and couldn't do anything about it! LOL, what a problem to have a week post op, when everyone including Hubby is afraid to touch you! :-P
Unread 01-21-2012, 06:50 PM

Thank you for all your responses. I was really worried about that. I am so glad this site is here.
Unread 01-21-2012, 07:13 PM

Based on numerous posts I've read here, I think a large number of women have great sex lives after surgery. Mine is better.

BUT - there are no guarantees. Surgery, like life, carries risks. A number of women experience problems after surgery that negatively impact their sex life and sometimes their health. I wish you all the best.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register