Scared Surgery Being Performed at VA Hospital | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared Surgery Being Performed at VA Hospital Scared Surgery Being Performed at VA Hospital

Unread 01-21-2012, 05:07 AM
Scared Surgery Being Performed at VA Hospital

Are there any veterans out there that could give any info on having hyster performed at VA hospital?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Re: Scared Surgery Being Performed at VA Hospital

Hi majazo

I am not a veteran, but have seen posts on this site from veterans. I hope one of them will see this post and respond.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 01-21-2012, 09:32 PM

My husband is a vet (USMC, Ret) & my surgery will be at an Army base hospital. I've had nothing but positive experiences. My dad was a regular patient at a VA hospital and the docs & staff were wonderful. I know it's apples & oranges but they were good to him. I hope u find the answers your looking for. Best of luck and thank you for your service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2012, 09:59 PM

Hey Ladies!! Thank you both. I have had previous surgeries at the VA Medical center before. This will actually be my 3rd surgery in less than 12 months. I am nervous because I know this is not something that is usually done there, or I should say often. The Dr is not affiliated with any other hospitals so that leaves my research available on her limited. She is the only Gyn available at the Medical Center so my choices are limited in that aspect as well.

Just doesn't help my already uneasy mind.
Unread 01-21-2012, 10:17 PM

Hi Majazo,

I am not a veteran, but I would also like to Thank You for your service. Hopefully you'll be provided with the info you need beforehand, but personally I found reading posts here on the site, both pre and post op mostly, gave me so much more info and tips for questions I should ask so I'd feel less lost and scared, like I think most of us do when we first learn we're having a hysterectomy. In my case, there was a whole world of information my doctor and staff never told me.

Wishing all goes smoothly for you!
Unread 01-21-2012, 11:07 PM

Criss thank you. I never looked at it that way. I guess there really is so much to be gained from interacting with hyster sisters. I guess initially we get wrapped up in the issue and venting that we lose sight of being informed and proactive. I am just a ball of nerves hoping that all does go well. I looked her name up and there were 4 reviews for her. 2 good and 2 bad. One of the bad reviews was regarding surgery routine BSO.
Unread 01-22-2012, 01:09 AM

majazo,

My husband was in the army for 8 years so I understand the limited options you have. You have a couple of weeks before surgery to ask questions. HysterSisters has a list of "Questions to Ask Your Doctor" (link). I strongly recommend you read and print these before your pre-op appointment and don't forget to add your own to the list.

About that bad review - I don't know your doctor and I've not read the review but you might consider that factors outside the doctor's control were responsible for the patient's bad experience. You may want to show it to her and discuss it. I love my doctor and wouldn't trade her for anything, but I know someone who doesn't like her style and won't go back.

Wishing you all the best.
Unread 01-22-2012, 04:48 AM

Majazo, I will also be having my Hyster at the VA, I was kind of hoping that there was another Vet here that had some info... I don't go in till March though.
Unread 01-22-2012, 10:54 AM

I asked for a second opinion but I would have to be sent to another facility whose appointments are 4 months out. I know that reviews are based upon that individuals experience and everyone could be different but the bad reviews where from people that had procedures. The 2 good ones were from people that got pelvic exams. I just wish there were other's I could question to ease my anxiety. lol My last appointment I took my DH with me so that we both could ask questions. After 2 questions everything is answered by how many she has done. (Drives me nuts) Again I have had 2 other surgeries done there by 2 different doctors. They made me feel so at ease. I will print out questions to ask.
Unread 01-22-2012, 08:15 PM

Sending u both well wishes and hope everything works out for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register