Driving post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Driving post-op Driving post-op

Unread 01-21-2012, 07:46 AM
Driving post-op

I do not have a date yet, but have been told I need a TAH. How long will it be, realistically, before I can drive afterwards?

I'm just trying to work out how much help I can ask for and when. I am a single Mum with 2 kids and am limited on the amount of help available, so want to use it on things I have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Re: Driving post-op

Doctors seem to have varying restriction on driving. I was released to drive at 2 weeks. I only drove short distances at first, to school and back. I am driving all over town now at 5 weeks. I drove to the airport yesterday, 45 min one way. By the time I got home I was sore, but was not in pain.

Ask your Dr. They each have their own reasoning regarding driving.
Unread 01-21-2012, 08:15 AM

Hi! I don't have an answer for you exactly. I am also having a TAH/BSO two kiddos (3 if I count hubby ) So not a lot of help. I have had other abdominal surgeries before so thought I would chime in. Generally I was told two weeks (Ive had 5 open abdominal surgeries). This is what I would do tho before driving. Set down, start your car first (LOL or your break wont go down easily), and slam on your breaks. If you can do this you should be ok to go ahead and drive. You don't want to be trying to avoid a accident and go to slam on your breaks and your body stops when it feels an intese pain ) I was fine to drive in all but 1 surgery and it was a bowel resection. I still drove the two miles up to the store tho just not far ) Good luck to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2012, 08:25 AM

You'll definitely have to check with your doctor, as I can see from reading here that everyone gets different instructions. My doctor had told me before my surgery that it would be 2 weeks before I could drive, but then after surgery he changed it to 4 weeks because of an issue I had with my abdominal wall. Also, you can't drive if you're taking prescription paid meds. So definitely ask your doctor. And best of luck to you!
Unread 01-21-2012, 05:50 PM

My Dr told me his driving restrictions were due to the pain meds.

Honestly, I had complications, but at 4 weeks out I still had a queasy feeling riding in a car. If I drove I would have been doing 25mph. LOL

I had a nurse friend really get after me about doing too much, being giggled around in a car and adhesions.... Adhesions were so much of my problems, it scared me out of driving or riding anywhere!
Unread 01-21-2012, 07:00 PM

Doc told me 2 weeks. No if ands or buts! Do you have friends or family nearby?
Unread 01-21-2012, 08:17 PM

I wasn't on pain meds beyond ibuprofen, so I was given permission to drive at 10 days. However, I have a stick shift and it hurt to shift, so I wasn't really ready to drive until closer to 3 weeks. It is also very hard to turn to see out the rearview mirror for the first few weeks.
Unread 01-21-2012, 10:30 PM

I had a TAH 7 weeks ago. I did not drive until week 5. I just could not sit up and twist. I might have driven at 4 weeks uf I had to. At 2 weeks you will barely feel up to walking around the house. You might be able to drive a mile or two to school for kids, but you will really be pushing things. And true...pain meds mean no driving at all
Unread 01-22-2012, 05:16 AM

Thanks for your opinions girls. I have my boyfriend who can come and stay for a few days whilst I'm in hospital, to look after to children. But, he lives nearly 200 miles away and also has his son there, so will come here for a few days, then has to go back, but can come again the following week for a few days. My Mum also lives 200 miles away (near boyfriend) and she can come for a few days also. So the first couple of weeks they can hopefully manage between them. I have a couple of good friends that can help with odd things, but I do not have anyone near whose kids go to the same school as mine, so it really will mean them going out of their way to do the school run, so I will only ask if I have to. Luckily, the kids are good with food and will eat anything as long as they have something in front of them!
Unread 01-22-2012, 06:38 AM

My doctor said that you need to be able to stamp your feet before you can drive. I also had a TAH and I have been driving since day 9, but had to borrow my hubby's automatic because the stick shift was too much.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register