Bowel Movement - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel Movement Bowel Movement

Unread 01-23-2012, 01:10 AM
Re: Bowel Movement

I have been taking Senekot-S, which is colace and a fiber laxative in one. I had a bm 2 days post op, but it was painful, and I could tell I was definately constipated. Here's **poo dust** to all that need it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2012, 02:17 AM

Poo dust, I love it! "Please pass the poo dust!"
Unread 01-23-2012, 04:27 AM

Omg!!! Poo dust?!?!? I laughed so hard at that one, that I actually think it helped move things along!! . I love this website....humor and support from my hystersisters has kept me going strong!!!! Hugs and speedy recovery to you ladies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2012, 07:20 AM

Finally - success last night. It was a horrible experience. I had to double up the Percocet after I was done cause it caused so much pain. Those stool softeners did not work as advertised. Hopefully I'm over the worst part. I sure feel better this morning.
Recovery is NO fun!
Unread 01-23-2012, 07:41 AM

"POO DUST" ? ! ? ! ?

I love it!

I empathize with all my sisters who are struggling with this very common issue. Thanks for posting a list of 'binding' foods along with fiberous foods - I've been thinking bananas would help, but now am going to stop them. Also have been drinking soy milk in an attempt to reduce hot flashes, but in my head I was classifying it similar to 'dairy' so did not overdo it.

Walking is great; I am now taking magnesium supplements with my mulitivitamins because I am told that magnesium helps the whole digestive system work better. I am drinking Ensure at lunch time for nutrition, but I think that adding Activia somewhere in my daily menu is a good idea too.

At this point, gas and other digestive issues can cause discomfort, but it is much less painful than during the first 2-3 weeks, so trust me it will get more manageable.

The one thing I had to keep reminding myself was that I didn't have any solid food from 10pm before surgery until 4pm on day 3... that was a total of 66 hours with nothing going through my digestive tract (and only light things such as applesauce during the next couple of days, too.)

I didn't really have much of anything to pass - except gas! - for the first week, so a lot of my fretting was unnecessary. I am pretty much back to my old digestive cycle, which means it isn't unusual for me to go 2-3 days with no bm. That has been my metabolism and even with my extra care now, I don't expect to change it very much.

Good luck, ladies! I hope the Poo Fairy visits us all soon and leaves us feeling great!
Unread 01-25-2012, 02:11 PM

The nurses started giving me milk of magnesia as soon as I came to and had a b.m. before leaving the hospital. I am still continuing colace until the bleeding and soreness is gone.
Unread 01-25-2012, 05:45 PM

My BM schedule has changed completely since my surgery in December. I too didn't go until about day 4 post-op and thought it was due to me not eating, but it's been about a month and now instead of going everyday I only have a BM about every 4 days.
Unread 01-25-2012, 05:51 PM

I had my TAH on January 5th and have only had like 4 bowel movements. I have taken Colace 2X aday, miralax, Milk of Magnisium and have had several enimas, but still have not had much progress. I went to the doctors today because I am now having this really bad pain to left of my belly button to find that that is where my colan is. Doctor proceeds to tell me to use another enima and if that does not work to come back in on Friday. I am afraid I have a colon blockage, Should I just go to the ER, because my doctor does not seem to think it is a big deal but I do. I am getting very discouraged.
Unread 01-25-2012, 06:06 PM

Water, stool softener, and higher than usual dose of magnesium did it for me. Oh, and walking.
Unread 01-25-2012, 07:42 PM

If you are worried about a blockage, regardless of what your doctor says, listen to your instincts.
If it helps any, I've also had pain to the left of my belly button over the past two weeks that I did not have in the first two weeks of my surgery (I'm 4 weeks post-op). I am still taking pain killers every day so bm's are more work but they are happening every day or two. (I take one Colace a day plus 500 mg magnesium and drink nothing but water.) Have you tried eating a big leafy green salad with olive oil dressing?

Sending hugs and the poo fairy your way!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register