Wondering about what I need to do before surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wondering about what I need to do before surgery Wondering about what I need to do before surgery

Unread 01-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Wondering about what I need to do before surgery

I am scheduled for a Friday surgery (Da Vinci) but I do not go to the doctor till Tuesday so I am not sure if it is okay to get my finger and toe nails painted? I never thought any about it but my sister mentioned that they check your nail beds for correct oxygen levels...

Also anything else need to be done? I am sure my doctor will go over everything on Tuesday but I figure it I can get a jump on it during the weekend that would be best.

And lastly, I have seen several ladies mention about bring and/or wearing a night gown while at the hospital or when you get home but I prefer sleep/lounge pants (they are really, really loose around my waist) I just don’t care for gowns. Do you think that will bother my cuts

Thanks - sorry if my questions are silly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Re: Wondering about what I need to do before surgery

Your questions are good! My pre-op nurse told me no fingernail polish, but toenails were okay. I removed the polish from my toenails anyway. Make sure you stop all aspirin-containing products, ibuprophen, etc. as well as certain herbs (there's a list here somewhere). They will also probably want to know when you last took those types of medications. I did not bother to bring a gown; in fact the hospital gowns, as fashionable as they are, do have snaps at the sleeves, which come in handy when you need to change and have an iv. A robe and slippers might be useful for walking in the hall, but I didn't use them. I did use my cell phone, lip gloss/chapstick, and nice lavender scented hand cream. Lots of ladies have brought small pillow pets to the hosp, but they should have one for you. I also prefer sleep pants and thought my lounge pants would work well post surgery. Nope. My husband had to go out and buy me gowns. Swelly and tender belly. 2.5 weeks later I am starting to wear the loinge pants (with the waist band rolled down. Hubby also had to go buy me t-shirt dresses because I still can't put decent pants on! It's not the cuts so much that they bother, it's the insides.
Unread 01-21-2012, 10:00 PM

I found my belly band and mini-sized pillow pet to be invaluable in my recovery, at the hospital and still now 3+ weeks post surgery. Check with your doctor and the hospital pre-admission nurse about nail polish. Mine gave me the go-ahead and I was able to have a mani-pedi the day before surgery. I got a French mani using a special gel polish that lasts 2 weeks and it really does! I am SO glad I had my nails done because it helped me feel better during this whole process esp to have pretty toes.

I also prefer sleeping pants but was very glad I bought an overesized zip-up lounge muumuu thingie which was so much more comfortable the first few weeks. I also invested in some undies that were 2-3x larger than I normally wear and those have been lifesavers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2012, 10:06 PM

No silly questions here!

Double check with the hospital - some are very strict about nail polish and some are not. I was told toenail polish would be fine, but keep the fingers polish free.

Your doctor will provide you with all the necessary medical info you need for prep, but it's rare they give you 'at home' advice for getting ready - but we have you covered.

Get your bedroom ready for your return and your daytime lounge spot, too. We raised our sofa up on concrete blocks so I wouldn't have to sit so far 'down' into it and it was really helpful. A chair or something to grab that helps you to sit up or stand is a good thing to have bedside.

Our daughter, who is 15 and learning to cook, planned the dinner menu for 2 weeks and we shopped for all the ingredients a couple of days before surgery. Some pre-cook a lot of meals and freeze them to make life easier post surgery.

I'm no fan of gowns either. I wore stretchy, drawstring waist sweats and yoga pants and also had a baggy pair of PJ pants with loose fitting T-shirts and sweatshirts. I can't say how they will affect your incisions since I had abdominal surgery, but probably a light bandage might help - someone else should be able to say.

At the hospital, I wore the same clothes out that I wore in and wore their gowns while I was there. Their gowns are designed for the IV tubes and catheters you will be hooked up to after surgery, plus if you have any bleeding post op, you don't have to worry about getting to the laundry very soon.

Good Luck!
Unread 01-21-2012, 10:08 PM

Hi there,

I think you have some great insight from others here; I just wanted to chime in and say your questions are not silly at all! I feel the more comfortable you are (whatever it takes for you to be comfortable, including pretty nails) the smoother your recovery could be! Keep us posted, okay?
Unread 01-21-2012, 10:24 PM

They probably will not let you wear pants in the hospital and will probably insist on their own gown so they have easy access to all the maintenance they need to do you when you're recovering. I would bring your comfy pants etc to wear on the trip there and home. I removed all polish from my finger nails, but left my toe nails painted. I didn't go for a fresh coat of paint, but just left the previous coat on them. One thing I did do was go for a bikini wax about a week prior (to ensure any irritation, skin breakage was healed prior to surgery). I didn't like the idea of being shaved down and the rash that could create. I'm very happy I did the wax.
Unread 01-21-2012, 10:24 PM

I am pj bottom wearer, too. I did use my slippers, robe and put on pj bottoms and tshirt during the last two days. I was in hospital for 6days and 5 nights though. I wore underwear bc it helped to have some pressure on incision with my TAH. Also loved my zip front sports bra and squishy pillow. Take whatever makes you comfy...my long stay meant I used my phone, kindle and magazine, too.
Unread 01-22-2012, 07:33 AM

I am 2 weeks post op davinci and I had a one night stay. I did not take any sleep wear, but it too prefer bottoms. I used the hospital gown because the IV was not take out until just before I was released, with the snap sleeves this really is the easiest instead of trying to struggle with your own pjs. I went home on roomy yoga pants and stayed and wore nothing else during the day for about 10 days. Very comfy!!! At the hospital I was given a belly binder and I am sure that helped a great deal. Ask your dr if you will be given one, if not think about purchasing one before the surgery and take it with you to the castle.

I wore nail polish on my toes the hospital said no finger nail polish. I was given socks with grippers at the hospital so my feet were covered that whole time!

Good Luck, YOU CAN DO THIS!! Hugs!!
Unread 01-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Wondering about what I need to do before surgery

First of all as everyone else has said they are not silly questions! I too prefer pjs and brought a set of pjs and an oversized night shirt in with me just incase. I ended up wearing the night shirt as the pjs were not comfy afterwards. I was told no nail polish or waxing or shaving but u could check with ur doc. I do recommend a pillow pet and a grabber for after the grabber is great coz u don't want 2 have to wait for others to pick things up when u drop them.I also brought cleansing wipes,hand creamand lipbalm they are useful! At home make sure things you need will be ineasy reach and get a tray if you don't have one! Good luck!
Unread 01-22-2012, 04:03 PM

Thanks ladies!

I was curious if shaving would be required and if I would be able to do it myself prior to arrival. Even though everyone will have complete access to all areas below the waist some how shaving seems so intimate and I think it would be awkward

Thanks again

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register