11 days post TAH pain and fever | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

11 days post TAH pain and fever 11 days post TAH pain and fever

Unread 01-22-2012, 11:06 AM
11 days post TAH pain and fever

Hello! I am 11 days post TAH. I was feeling quite better until last night. I woke this am with a fever of 100.1 and I am dying in pain! There is also a little yellow drainage from my incision. Does this seem normal or should I go to ER? I think it may be an infection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Re: 11 days post TAH pain and fever

Do not ignore this. You officially have a fever post-op. You could have an infection. Either a call to your doc to see the on-call, or a trip to the ER are in order. Please let us know how you are doing after your visit.
Unread 01-22-2012, 11:13 AM

Thank you. I think since it is Sunday, I'll just go to the ER. Keep ya posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2012, 01:27 PM

Double ditto Beth - If you haven't gone already, go NOW!
Always better safe than sorry.

Let us know how you are feeling when you get home. I'll be thinking of you.
Unread 01-22-2012, 01:35 PM

Sounds like a possible infection to me. My docs office would have me call their after hours number and probably want me seen with these symptoms. If yours does not have this option, a trip to urgent care or the ER is probably in order.

Let us know how you are!
Unread 01-29-2012, 09:45 PM

Hi there,

I got fever 2 weeks post op... I am going into day 12 of continous low-grade fever...ranged from 99.00-101.5. Did see the doctor few days ago and I was put on antibiotics, Z-Pak (Azithromiacin). I am on day 5 today and it has not helped my fever, neither has taking Tylenol. I was advised to see doctor tomorrow. A nurse friend of mine said that they should do blood work - if they don't initiate, then I should ask for it. It was strange that the gynecologist PA (physician's asst) said they didn't think it was an infection but then put me on antibiotics anyway. I had no signs of infection at my incisions or abscess. I will be seeing my regular family doctor tomorrow and will let you know what I find out.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!
Unread 01-30-2012, 12:49 AM

One of the things about antibiotics is that they can be very specific to the type of infection one has. That was one of the problems I had.

My doctors started and kept me on antibiotics from the time of the surgery until I left the hospital. I had a fever while I was in the hospital and within five days of coming home, I developed a bladder infection (which I read from many posts here is pretty common). Talk about pain....which was on top of the TAH pain. I started with Augmentin to clear the infection. I ran a low grade fever similar to what you spoke of here. However, when I went for a follow up visit, they did a culture of my incision and found an infection and the type of infection would not respond to Augmentin or other penicillin type. Rather, it was better treated with Cipro. Once I got on that, the low grade fever was gone, the bladder infection was completely gone (it had been lingering), and my incision/seroma got better. I was grateful to my doctors that they took the time, did the culture, and found out exactly what I needed to get me back on track.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
Unread 02-02-2012, 11:33 PM

Update - went to the radiologist yesterday as my gynocologist requested I get a CT Scan. Found out results today that I have a small clot in my tube (where they removed right ovary). It's small enough that no treatment really needed - was out on 3-day ibuprofen regiment to settle down inflammation. My organs all look ok. I have a cold too so they think I might have a virus causing the fever. Fever is down but still have some pain...tolerable so I'm back to work. I will see doc again in 3-4 weeks. If needed they will have me get ultrasound if I still have pain and/or fever or still not feeling well.
So at this point just waiting to see and will get tests as needed. Oh, blood work done too and that was all ok.
They did find a cyst on my right ovary but small... so they will key eye on it.
Thanks!
Unread 02-03-2012, 01:31 AM

Good to hear that they were able to pinpoint exactly what it was, what you needed, and where to go from there. Keep on keeping on!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register