Prolapse Uterus Surgery Pending 2-2012 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Prolapse Uterus Surgery Pending 2-2012 Prolapse Uterus Surgery Pending 2-2012

Unread 01-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Prolapse Uterus Surgery Pending 2-2012

Hello everyone. Going in tomorrow, 1-23-12 for a Urodynamic testing. Watched a video of it on line. Looks OK to deal with. After that should be scheduled for a hysterectomy. Was suppose to have surgery on 1-19-2012. Doc decided to have the erodynamic test done due to the prolapse. I want to know how the recovery was for those who had the surgery vaginaly. Initially I was to be cut but the thought of the mesh thing inserted troubled me. So option two is to be done. So how long of a stay at the hospital? & how long of a recovery time. My job intails alot of bending, reaching, moving, climbing a "step stool" etc. Just a little 411. I know everyone is different but please share you experiences. Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Re: Prolapse Uterus Surgery Pending 2-2012

The urodynamic testing is a bit uncomfortable, but the doctor should explain everything that he or she will do. I went through it twice.

The recovery period depends on what your doctor has to do during your surgery--how your body heals--and if there are any complications. Usually the initial recovery can vary from 4 weeks up to 8 weeks. My doctor recommended at least 6 weeks of healing at home with a 10 pound lifting restriction and 1, if not 2 days in the hospital post-op.

She will see me again at four weeks post-op to check my stitches, look for any problems, and to discuss the rest of my recovery. I wish I had more information to offer to you.

I, too, had a prolapse (uterus and bladder) and it was so incredibly uncomfortable. I wish you all the best in making this decision!
Unread 01-22-2012, 03:52 PM

I did my prolapse surgery in 2 phases. First was Vaginal Hyst with rectocele repair, cystocele repair and bladder sling. Was up walking by that evening, eating and feeling pretty well. I had to come home the next day with the catheter as I couldn't pee on my own. Not a bad thing as I didn't have to get up to pee! My DR put me on a strict 12 week recovery period. I knew this before my surgery. It takes 12 weeks for the body to heal to 80%, and it is this healing that holds the repairs. I would certainly suggest "light duty" if possible if you have to go back to work sooner than the 12 weeks. In that 12 weeks I couldn't do anything-no lifting, no bending, stooping, nothing that would put pressure on the abdominal cavity. I could walk as much as I felt like it, but that was all. I am also 60 years old, so I am sure my healing time took a little longer. Within 6 weeks, I hardly knew I had had surgery. I know the vag hyst is much easier because at 6 weeks out I had the second surgery to remove my ovaries and to finish the repairs. This had to be done abdominally, and it was the harder of the two to heal from.

I will tell you that I am now 10 months out from the first surgery, and I am feeling like a new woman. I had a stage 4 prolapse (as bad as it gets) and I feel like I have a new lease on life! If I can give you any other informating, I'd be glad to. Hope all goes well for you. Keep us posted on your progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2012, 07:49 PM

Hi wanted to know if you had problem with the sling and what state your in. I also ad stage 4 bladder and uterus
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:51 AM

Barbaranna-I live in Ohio. So far I am getting along fine. It has been a challenge as everything works differently since surgery, but it wasn't working correctly before surgery! I had to physically push my bladder back up in order to be able to urinate, but never had any incontinence before surgery. Now it just takes a little longer to empty my bladder, and sometimes there is just a tiny bit of leakage-not even enough to bother with a panty liner. I call this my new normal. I would do this all over again in a heartbeat because I have my quality of life back. It's been a long process, but I was writing in my journal this morning about how great I feel now, at 10 months out. Everyone has told me that it takes an entire year to feel back to normal, so I am almost there! Hope this gives you some extra insight.
Unread 01-25-2012, 04:39 PM

Thank you ladies for your imput. On Monday, 1-23-12 I had the Urodynamic test. Scheduled for surgery Feb.2,2012... Getting nervous but it needs to get done.
Unread 01-26-2012, 02:08 AM

Thanks for your help. There are alot of recalls on the mesh cling now and Ismoke, trying hard to quit and they say if you smoke its not good to have that . I don't know how else they put the bladder up though? I have to have the cystoscope and i cant even sleep thinking about it. I have had 3 major surgeries and this one has me terrified for some reason. Maybe because of my age which is 63, diabetes 11 and just plain scared, but like you I keep thinking about how great I will feel without that pressure being there. Mine both bladder and uterus are a 4 just way out there. It helps hearing from people who have the same thing. thanks
Unread 01-26-2012, 02:23 PM

Hey Barbaranna, don't be scared. I'm scared to but it can't be a good thing to feel that way.... It'll work out....I'm counting down till Feb 2... I don't know what to expect since never having surgery but, hey, let's get on with it. As for the mesh thing. I seen commercials about law suits with them I got nervous & got more info on the vaginal way. So that's the way I'm heading. My doc said something about stiching the bladder etc to the wall... But it doesn't make any sense to me so I just told her to do her thing & get a good nights sleep before my surgery, lol....
Good luck to you...
Unread 01-26-2012, 07:04 PM

My sister is a surgical tech and she told me about how many removals they have done. It's crazy. It seems that most of them aren't working out and if you smoke its even worse. i am not sure why though. Let me know when you get it done and how you felt. Having the cystoscope done tomorrow afternoon and my legs are trembling and I can't sleep lol. I can't imagine it not being painful if it is steel and my uterer is kinked. How do they get it through to the bladder. I seen the instrument and it looks gigantic!!
Unread 01-29-2012, 06:58 PM

Good luck to you. Do tell how it went.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register