Need to Vent.. EMOTIONAL MESS..(Children mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need to Vent.. EMOTIONAL MESS..(Children mentioned) Need to Vent.. EMOTIONAL MESS..(Children mentioned)

Unread 01-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Need to Vent.. EMOTIONAL MESS..(Children mentioned)

Hello sisters..

I am a 35 y/o married mother of 3 children. I am scheduled (so far because I still haven't made up my mind about keeping my cervix ) for a partial hysterectomy on February 6th. I actually go later this afternoon for my pre op appointment. I want to talk with the doctor about getting the Da Vinci procedure done. I was told by the nurse that they need to make sure I am a good fit to have the Da Vinci done. Not sure of the reasons but I guess we will see later.. Oh and if the Da Vinci can be done my date will change to either January 31st or February 7th..

Between still not knowing whether to keep my cervix or not, feeling totally unprepared for this surgery, I am a mess emotionally. My Mother in law was suppose to come for the week during this, but her boyfriend had a heart attack, thank God he is ok, but I do not want to stress her anymore by having her come down here (we live in PA and they are in NY) to help me. Our kids are 14, 9 and 5. I am no stranger to surgery given my history. This would be my 12th or 13th, but I am feeling so overwhelmed by this one for some reason..

I have a past history of ovarian cancer at the age of 18.Chemo done then.. Had my left ovary removed at that time and have since been in remission. In June of 2010 I had my remaining tube tied and had a novasure ablasion done. All was great, no periods up until September of 2011 . I started spotting. Kept spotting and was having intense labor like pains. Fast forward to December 2011, the bleeding became very heavy. Lasting 2 and 3 weeks. Sono done to find fibroids, not huge but many. 3 opinions later and a hysterectomy (partial) so far is scheduled. We will keep my remaining ovary as it appears to be healthy.

Keeping my cervix or not is what is stressing me. I have read soooo many posts on here with different outcomes. My doctor is allowing me the choice to chose to keep it or not. I have a healthy sex life, great orgasms although I can only reach orgasm through oral, never through sex. I am just so confused about this and I know that once either procedure is done (taking cervix or not) is when I will know how my sex life will change, if at all for the better or the worse. I do not have painful sex right now at all. This is primarily being done because of the fibroids and bleeding. Uuggghh..

My husbands hours at work have slowed so forget about financially me being out of work for the 6 weeks which I do plan to take so I can heal correctly.. As with all of you, my stress levels are WAY high right now.. Just needed to vent.. Thanks for reading...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Re: Need to Vent.. EMOTIONAL MESS..(Children mentioned)

Big hugs for you. Now breathe....breathe. It's completely normal to feel the way you do. There are still a few unknowns for you. Once those are sorted out things will feel better. Your children are old enough to be very helpful during you recovery, and hopefully your hubby will really step up and be extra helpful too.

I kept my cervix as is was completely healthy. Just to put you mind at ease, sex is still great. I know others who have not kept their cervix, and sex has still been great for them too.

Hang in there!
Unread 01-23-2012, 07:48 AM

Thank you. This really is one of my biggest fears. So many pro's and cons to both. The whole vaginal cuff thing freaks me out. But I also do not want to deal with mini periods either. For anyone out there that did keep the crvix, how many of you still have mini periods is a question I have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2012, 09:08 AM

I do have not had mini periods. I did have an ablation, so that's all been cauterized.
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:16 AM

Hi,
Breathe, breathe, breathe.

I was so anxious to get rid of my uterus, that I asked almost no questions. (THis is remarkable b/c I am a why kind of person.) But I also have that much faith in my doctor. He told me there was no reason to lose the cervix and that the vaginal cuff has slightly more complications if you take out the cervix. Since I tend to be in the mini percent that gets the weird reaction/complications... I chose to keep the cervix.

He did tell me that the presence or absence of my uterus would not affect my sex life.

I had mine removed for serious adhesions and bleeding. My bladder and uterus had FUSED. That was NOT fun.

I am 6 weeks post op DaVinci and honestly I haven't felt better. I never realized the pain, bleeding, etc was as excessive as it was.

If you have daVinci, you will need 48 hours in bed. The other restriction is no heavy lifting and taking it easy. As I have a 2 y/o I needed help. But honestly, if she was older, I would not have needed outside help. Just the spouse doing more.

It can only get better. It will be ok.
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:49 AM

Hi...
Take a deep breath. It will be ok. If your cervix is healthy, then I would leave it. I had to have mine removed when I had my TAH. Only because I had cervical cancer. I would just op to have your uterus removed. Just so you know even after having my TAH sex is fine. I'm was 35 when mine was done. It will 3 years soon. I have been fine and so will you. ((( hugs)))).
Unread 01-23-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac4_11 View Post
Thank you. This really is one of my biggest fears. So many pro's and cons to both. The whole vaginal cuff thing freaks me out. But I also do not want to deal with mini periods either. For anyone out there that did keep the crvix, how many of you still have mini periods is a question I have?
I had an abdominal hysterectomy due to 4 large fibroids. I kept my cervix and ovaries. I am 8 weeks post op and have had Zero bleeding. My periods are Gone!!! I am so stoked about that, as my doc said it is a possibility that I may have mini periods by keeping my cervix. No periods ~ No bleeding ~ All Good!! The only thing I have noticed is I get irritable the week before my usual period....guess that's due to keeping my ovaries...hormones are working! Ha!

Sex life is just as amazing, if not better, than it was before my surgery! No worries there ~ your doc is right.

Everything will be fine ~ just be prepared to ride that emotional roller coaster after your surgery...I cried a lot! It's a process that we all have to go through. It gets better!! By 2 weeks post op, I was out of the woods...so to speak. The first couple weeks were rough.

I will be Thinking Good Thoughts for you!!!
Unread 01-23-2012, 01:46 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot.. no mini periods. No blood at all. Gone... buh-bye!
Unread 01-23-2012, 01:52 PM

I had a full DaVinci hysterectomy on September 13, keeping both my ovaries. I decided against keeping my cervix because I didn't want to have to have PAP smears & the possibility of cancer, etc. Everyone has their own decision to make, and I certainly thought hard about it.

During my surgery, they found that I not only had large fibroids and an oversized uterus, but that the uterus was adhered to the bladder, the colon & the peritoneum (lining of the abdomen). It's amazing how my bladder & colon are working now - the way they're supposed to work!

Once I was fully recovered (more than 2 months), sex is great. My husband was more worried than I was.

As far as recovery, I was surprised at the length of time before I got my stamina back. You will need some support, and be sure not to overdo it. However, if you have helpful children & spouse, that should be sufficient. Just be willing to eat what they cook, and ignore anything that is messy/dirty. It will only be a few months, and overdoing it may lead to adhesions. Remember that even with just a few bandaids on the surface, there is major surgery underneath.

Best wishes!
Unread 01-23-2012, 02:04 PM

Hey Twocatz... isn't it amazing how much better that stuff works. I was also bladder and peritoneum. My doctor said that b/c of those two adhesions pulling opposite, my stomach and intestines were still in the 9 mo pregnant position- which explained a lot.

When your stuff works, it feels so much better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register