Not Scheduled Need Help On What To Pack While I Wait To Be Scheduled | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need Help On What To Pack While I Wait To Be Scheduled Need Help On What To Pack While I Wait To Be Scheduled

Unread 01-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Need Help On What To Pack While I Wait To Be Scheduled

Hi. I'm new here.
I have been suffering with pain and constant bleeding for months.
I have already had an ablation that didn't work.

In September my gyn. told me to wait a few more months to see if the pain and bleeding stopped. She put me on a higher dose birth control pill in the early summer.

I went 1 month with only a few days of bleeding, but a week before Christmas I was having pain and really heavy bleeding again. I couldn't get an appointment until January 9. I even stayed home on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day because of my bleeding.

On Jan. 9 the doctor told me that I needed a hysterectomy, and I've wanted one since September. I was told to wait a few days and someone would call with a date for surgery.

It has been 2 weeks and no call. I called them today to ask for my surgery date, but they haven't called me back.

So, I figured I'd start getting my things together for my hospital stay. I believe I'll only be there a total of 2 days including the day I go in for surgery.

I have a new nightgown and robe for me to feel comfy in.
I'm not sure if I should bring slippers since I read here I should be up and walking. I also got new underwear in a size larger than what I currently use (I read that on here). I can't wait to wear underwear without blood stains in them.

What else should I bring? I bought a super cute pink plaid small cosmetic tote to put my stuff in. It's small and light, but I don't know what to bring. Will anyone give me advice?

This waiting is driving me nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Re: Need Help On What To Pack While I Wait To Be Scheduled

I'm new here too, seems like we have both tried the same things, I had the ablation over 2yrs ago, I did fine for a year and half, the periods were gone, life was good! 6 months ago I started having this horrific pain in my lower abdominal area and in the center of my back, finally I made the dreadful OB/GYN appt, was told hysterectomy was the only other option. My uterus is the size of a 9month pregnant person, and its full of tumors, I am preparing myself for the hospital stay, I'm scheduled for Jan 31st. I'm not sure what to pack either! I got some good ideas from your post! Thanks.
Unread 01-23-2012, 01:00 PM

Hi there! I had my hyster 1/13/12. I had a Da Vinci but I don't think that alters the reco for going to the castle.

The motto is less is better. Keep all the things you mentioned for when you get home - gown and robe etc. The comfort of the new items will be more appreciated then.

You will have IVs, iodine, medications etc that tend to get messy in the castle. They will give you socks to wear when you check in - the kind with tracks to help you on slick floors. My socks were very good and stayed on well. It is nice to have a brush, toothbrush / paste, chapstick, small lotion, and maybe a couple of the no rinse face cleaning cloths.

Everytime you go to move you have to negotiate the oxygen and IV and catheter lines so you don't really feel like dealing with extras once you accomplish the necessities. I don't think most people end up wearing their underwear in the castle. Either they give you a stretchy mesh pair or they have you go without underwear. Seemed an odd concept for my to go without underwear but at the point that I realized that was the case I really did not care.

You may also want to take some candy for nurses and visitors. Not necessary, but an option since you are in the early planning mode! I wore home the outfit that I wore there - you are only in it a little while before getting into their outfit. I chose a knit dress that was loose at the waist and that was perfect for me. Fewer pieces to get back on and deal with while you are still under the influence of pain meds!

Good luck! You probably will benefit from planning two weeks of supplies for when you first get home. That way you don't have to make any emergency trips.

Look on the pre-op sub-forum "hints from Members" for more tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2012, 02:24 PM

Thanks.

Now if I can only get a date for surgery. Speaking to a friend I was told her mother was recently scheduled for hysterectomy for JUNE with this same doctor. I am going to have to suffer until summer?!? I wish they would have been honest with me when I asked how far out they were scheduling. No one has called me back either, so I guess I'm screwed.

Any tips on what I can do to stop this bleeding and pain until the summer? I want to cry. I really do.
Unread 01-23-2012, 04:42 PM

Isn't it frustrating waiting for the surgery! I think that was the worst part for me.

Regarding what to bring, I brought almost nothing. I think the only thing I used was my chapstick and I was there for 4 days. I also brought a magazine, my cell phone, and some hard candies. I may have had one candy, but I never read the magazine or used my cell phone - I used the one in the hospital and also my mom's.

I personally wouldn't recommend bringing any of your own clothes other than what you will be wearing home. I also wore the same outfit home that I wore to the hospital.

I was glad that I was wearing the hospital gowns when they had to change them several times - TMI - but due to vomit, etc. I would have had to pack up my dirty clothes and bring them home to wash if they had been my own gowns.

I also didn't wear underwear while I was there since I didn't bleed at all, but everyone is different.

I just wore the socks they gave me for walking around the unit.

Do you have to have this doctor do your surgery? Are there any other choices you feel comfortable with? Maybe you can be put on their "cancellation list" in case something comes up earlier?

I'm sorry you have to deal with the pain and bleeding for that much longer.
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:10 PM

Hi. Thanks. I think I'll leave my new nightgown at home. I was planning to wear the same outfit home.

I asked to be put on a list, but I was told they keep those cancellations for emergencies.

I asked what can I do for the several months I have to suffer. She told me that I could always make an appt with the gyn. to see if she could help me. Umm.. that's why I went there before. The only thing she could suggest was hysterectomy.

I did call a few other gyns in my area but it's months out to get in as a new patient, so I guess I'll suffer and wait. I sure hope something else isn't wrong. I do know it doesn't feel right at all.
Unread 01-24-2012, 09:59 AM

How awful that you have such a wait. Keep trying to find another dr, maybe you'll get lucky. I had to wait 2 months because of my schedule, and that was hard.

I would take as little as possible to the hospital. I brought chapstick, toothbrush/paste (which I didn't need because they supplied one), hard candy, comb (they supplied one), lotion (they supplied a bottle), shower stuff (I was only in 1 night and didn't take one), ipod (never used but the floor was quiet that night), clean undies (I did wear), and wore a dress there and wore it home. They supplied socks to walk in, gowns and robes.

You might want to check at your preop appt what the hospital supplies. I was told not to bring my meds because the dr. prescribed what I needed. All I needed at my hospital was chapstick, hard candy, and peppermint tea (which the nurse had to find for me).
Unread 01-25-2012, 11:41 AM

I agree that if you aren't going to be there long, don't take much. I was only at the castle one night. Used my new robe to walk the halls but it was more psychological b/c the hospital gown covered me sufficiently. I wore my slippers but really didn't need to b/c of the safe socks they provided. I did brush my teeth and washed my face w/ my own supplies but otherwise only used my lip balm a couple of times. Wore same clothes to/from. Wore stretchy undies they gave me--weird, but I loved them! Fortunately my swelly belly wasn't so bad that I needed bigger undies...just wore my old period undies that were stretched out. Never looked at my magazine or wanted to talk to anybody on phone. My DH spent the night w/ me and brought the laptop, which gave him something to do and also allowed him to send email update out to everybody and not have to make a bunch of calls. I emailed him a list of addresses of my friends/family and he just copied and pasted into emails for updates. Everybody really appreciated this. Good luck. Waiting is the worst!!
Unread 01-25-2012, 07:24 PM

Oh girl, I feel ya... I had the constant bleeding for 10 years! Tried every drug therapy available to no avail.

CONGRATS! On getting your Dr on board so quickly, keep after 'em and get your date! :-)

I wore clothes appropriate to wear home to the hospital, chapstick, smartphone/charger, some little snacks, gatorade, and notepad/pen to write down what I was told - you won't remember anything on morphine! :-P

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register